Anyone with Facial/Trigeminal Nerve Pain and/or TTTS Tried Carbamazepine?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rojo, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Rojo

Rojo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin/Xiflaxin
      I'm basically being forced to try psych meds for my "anxiety" so I'm trying to figure out what meds might actually help me, most antidepressants have gone poorly (citolopram, paxil, amitriptyline, remeron) the only one maybe left to try is nortriptyline. Taking suggestions there.

For nerve pain/anti-convulsant/possible bi-polar I was considering trying carbamazepine since I get the facial neuralgia pain with sound and have tensor tympani syndrome along with throat spasms that give me a machine-gun tinnitus.

Anyone got any experience? I see it suggested often but few people talking about it working for them...

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Daily reminder that the word "hyperacusis" is not a specific medical diagnose but rather a vague term to describe several unclassified poorly understood conditions, defined as both noise induced pain and amplified loudness perception.There may even be two types of hyperacusis that cause pain.

It also is evident that the trigeminal nerve plays a role in one form of "hyperacusis" and a lot of people falsely assume they develop TMD immediately after a acoustic trauma event or a tooth ache.

I wonder how Jastreboff would address this hyperacusis with TRT, would someone with loudness hyperacusis be treated the same way?

3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Microvascular decompression.

Symptoms of facial, trigeminal or glossopharyngeal neuralgia (somatic sensory), hemifacial spasm, throat spasms (somatic motor), tensor tympani, tinnitus (special sensory) and some cases of essential hypertension and anxiety are caused by these vessels compressing cranial nerves V, IX–X, VII, VIII, and left X and medulla oblongata. Using microsurgical techniques, the symptoms may be relieved by vascular decompression. Quite successful.
      Use of B complex daily may bring some relief. Carbamazepine has some drawbacks and limitations for a fair amount depending on study. Study this drug before use.

Taking a warm shower if you can tolerate the sound after you get up may help.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Could that be why my trigeminal nerve low hum is sometimes pulsatile, other times constant and sometimes silent? If I rub anywhere on my eye/face/around ear that corresponds with it, I get a momentary louder hum and then a decrease for a while.

• Winner Winner x 1
    5. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes. The facial nerve sensory complex connection to ear muscles and cranial nerves.

Besides the above, the sternocleidomastoid, sinus, thyroid, trigeminal nerve, cranial nerves, occipital complex, C1 C2 leverage pressure and muscle pressure of a straighten neck have rights to visit anywhere above the shoulders.

I added taking a warm shower after getting up may help if one can tolerate the sound.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      It is my own personal hypothesis that noise induced trauma alone can lead to trigeminal neuralgia type symptoms.

Any thoughts on this?

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think that's true. There a couple of studies that ready get into this. One study says that the neck must be hyperextended along with noise inducement and often caused while receiving dental treatment. They discuss the vertebral artery getting a temporary blockage of a second or two. It get's a little complex as nerves enter the brain react.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Would that mean that at least one type of noise induced pain is trigeminal neuralgia, should a subgroup of hyperacusis sufferers question to get that diagnoses?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had suggested to someone who was told that they have perfect hearing with severe somatic neck and jaw tinnitus for 3 years to try magnesium to see if they get a little relief. This person did and now tinnitus is completely gone, but TMJ is still a problem. I don't understand how unless the occipital nerve at the atlas was applying pressure to muscles or muscle pressure to other major nerves or cranial nerves. Magnesium can lessen stressed and tight muscles.

11. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I take magnesium A LOT, and it did not stop my trigeminal nerve issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It didn't help me either. Maybe just a little when I first started taking it.

13. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nice one Greg. Badly written site, but I can identify with a lot of this, but not the ear hotness or face numbness.

Same.

https://www.biogetica.com/how-to-cure-trigeminal-neuralgia-with-natural-treatment
      This has got to be a scam.

14. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      How would a doctor diagnose where to perform vascular decompression? I have these symptoms flare up from my latest noise exposure.

I agree. This is the "science" behind. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1475491607000161?via=ihub

However.. if there is a 2% chance it works, I might try it. Hate being desperate...

15. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But what are the active ingredients?

If you try it, please let us know how you go.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI.
      Many forms of neuralgia exist for possibilities with tinnitus. In your situation it may be targeted on physical condition(s) such as I mentioned in post #3 and #9 above. The ears are basically responding (hyperacusis, TTTS) to the physical condition.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/42372446_Microvascular_Decompression_for_Tinnitus
      https://bmcneurol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2377-13-42

In another thread today you ask myself and another to reply. Said from a medical provider - Botox provides a longer effect than a nerve block. This bring volumes of study information as to risk versus reward. There's hundred of single condition studies on Botox with consideration to effect and safely. With some condition(s) (areas) Botox can travel to unwanted desired places. From my studies, nerve blocks on most areas of condition is preferred. One red flag is always the views of a medical provider that performs certain procedures only, as that's their bread and butter.

A link(s) for those with associated PT and other topic defined processing.
      https://www.hormonesmatter.com/pulsatile-tinnitus-whooshing/

17. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Contrast

"It is my own personal hypothesis that noise induced trauma alone can lead to trigeminal neuralgia type symptoms.

Any thoughts on this?"

For example when the pain first appears in the ear, then continues to spread in other parts of the head because of it?

18. eaeh2020

eaeh2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      hyperacusis
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      No. Hyperacusis with pain --- the Foundation is the best source for this. I have it. His therapy is not the right therapy for those with severe pain response to sound. PLEASE if anyone has this do not hurt yourself. Protect yourself. TRT is not the right path for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I agree with everything you said. TRT is horse shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. eaeh2020

eaeh2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      hyperacusis
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Follow the Hyperacusis Research. They are doing a study right now!!! They seem to be the only ones that get it!!!

https://hyperacusisresearch.org/

• Like Like x 1
    21. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      @Contrast

Do you still have trigeminal nerve issues or have you had improvement or has it gone away?

I have a lot of pain and would be grateful to you for this information.

22. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The pain went away but I still get facial tightness and aches from specific high pitch noises. my new health problems are much worse.

23. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      @Contrast

Thank you for replying. I'm sorry you are having other health issues.
      I read through some of your posts but couldn't find anything.
      I hope that whatever it is will improve for you. :huganimation:

24. Midas
      Bookworm

Midas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Yes, this is my believe also. Luckily Dr. Norena (Marceille France) is investigating this path. He is investigating TTM / trigeminal nerve inflammation.
      My father has immense hearing loss due to noise exposure all his life and almost deaf, he has no tinnitus or hyperacusis. I've been exposed to noise all my life also but I believe one single noise trauma started all my problems (severe tinnitus and hyperacusis). It felt like my ears snapped.

25. aeverhart139

aeverhart139 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      none have H
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ignore him on that. Research Hyperacusis Research. They advocate against TRT.