Arcanesystem's Tinnitus Updates

Discussion in 'Support' started by arcanesystem, Mar 22, 2020.

1. arcanesystem
      Disappointed

arcanesystem Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; Possibly noise-induced
      I don't know how to feel or what to say anymore because no matter what I try, it ends up getting worse.

Thursday night, as I was getting ready for bed, I noticed this new faint, low sound accompanied with vibrating, buzzing-like spasms in my right ear, kind of like when I hear my pulse after running. It almost feels like there's something in there. This sound was unusual next to my current high-pitched ringing. I first thought that it would go away overnight, but it's still there.

I wonder if what I currently am hearing is pulsatile.

My tinnitus has changed a few times since I've gotten it, but this change, if it's here to stay, is really making me tired.

I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday to see if it's something serious, but I'm expecting the same thing as always. I can mask my usual high pitches fairly well, but I don't know how I'm going to get used to this. And it's frustrating because I do everything I can think of to avoid what can make it worse, and it decides to agonize me even further.

Normally, I have a somewhat optimistic outlook on dealing with this, but I guess I'm an idiot trying to convince myself it's not going to get worse. Really, I'm just disappointed and tired at this point.

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. rocketskates

rocketskates Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you use a white noise machine at all? I have one that has 20 sounds (10 fan sounds and 10 white noise sounds) that vary in pitch. Maybe could be useful for when you experience changes?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I sleep with a fan on at night. It does a pretty good job of masking everything, so I'm glad for that. I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to sleep. However, this new rumbling I can hear over almost anything during the daytime. I feel like it's gotten louder since the first night I heard it.

4. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      If your T fluctuates that much, it might be related to your (neck?) muscles. Did you try fysiotherapy? Helped me a good lot.

About the rumbling sound... two months ago something similar triggered whenever I was lying on my right side, with my head on the pillow. It came and went for a few weeks, but eventually it left again. Don't recall the last time I heard it, and I still lie on my side a lot when falling asleep...

5. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does it stop when you talk, plug or cover your ears? From 2016 on, 3 times I had a low, buzzing washing machine type of sound for 1-3 weeks. It was vibrating, buzzing and very, very loud. It always went away unlike the high pitched sound which accompanied it this fall. Don't have the slightest idea what causes the low hum, but it stopped (I expect it to come back), and I know at least an other person whose low hum went away after acting up for a month.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My neck is sometimes a nuisance. It does feel stiff often when I wake up and I wonder if this has something to do with my pillow. I prop my head with my blanket and position it in a way that my ear is not touching the pillow, which arches my neck slightly towards my body. I do this so that I can avoid hearing my T against the pillow. I'm sure this is what makes my neck ache.
      I do exercise, which I read can cause straining and mess with your ears because you're constantly holding and exerting your breath powerfully. I recently was doing pilates on the floor an may have been straining my neck when my T suddenly acted up in my problem ear, then it went away. I also have admittedly poor posture because I'm in front of the computer a lot. I'll be sure to mention this when I see my GP this Wednesday. This may sound bad, but even if it's serious, I hope this time something is found instead of this being another case of "We can't help you."

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It doesn't stop when I talk, but when I plug/cover my ears, it does tone down a bit. I'm not sure if this is because I'm hearing my regular ringing over it or if it's somehow affected by external noise. A faint washing machine is exactly how I would describe my sound. The sensation is as if I have water stuck inside my ear, but if that were the case, it would have gone away by now. The buzz/vibration is not constant; it acts up, pauses for a second, then buzzes some more. It is not in sync with my pulse or breathing, which makes me doubt that it's pulsatile, but I have no way to otherwise confirm. I can find some relief if there's some hope of it going away after a while.

8. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @arcanesystem
      I read that you had good audiograms, but now have mid-low range loss, "thought it was still within normal hearing range." " though the 500 hz category was lower than before." "I had my T before the latest audiogram..."

You mention in another post that your neck is stiff when waking in the morning. Where?
      This and low range loss may point to cause and that seems obvious that it's your neck.
      Neck problem may associate to lifting with head in forward position.
      Did you lift animals at the vets?
      Neck soreness can attribute to worn joints or compressed nerves, but neck tension typically refers to muscle spasms or soft tissue injuries.

Just one though without knowing more history.

"A faint washing machine is exactly how I would describe my sound. The sensation is as if I have water stuck inside my ear, but if that were the case, it would have gone away by now. The buzz/vibration is not constant; it acts up, pauses for a second, then buzzes some more. It is not in sync with my pulse or breathing, which makes me doubt that it's pulsatile..."

This could be one of about ten things. If you wish we can discuss this by the PM message feature.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sure, I would be willing to. How do I do that? Sorry, I'm kind of new to this thing.

10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @arcanesystem
      I sent you a message to your Inbox - which is at top of page. You can reply to my message.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Huh. I just found out that my appointment got canceled because of the virus. They’re offering virtual visits instead. I’m not sure how good that will be since I want someone to actually look inside my ear.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have an update. I did virtually meet with my GP yesterday. We decided that we'll wait another week before prescribing me anything. She recommended a warm compress, which did worsen the vibrating every time I lifted it off my ear. However, the strangest thing happened.
      Last night, I was up in bed until 2 AM when I suddenly felt a very full sensation in my vibrating ear, as if I was flying in a plane. The temperature is getting more humid here, and it was raining last night. Anyways, when I woke up this morning, the vibrating went down from something like an 8 to a 1.5-2. I have no idea what happened, but I can almost not hear the vibrating sound at all. Just my usual tinnitus. Of course I am happy, but I am also very scared I'm going to jinx it, and I'm expecting it to get worse, but regardless, it's very strange to me this declined so dramatically. This makes me wonder if my ear is freaking out from the barometric changes.
      Maybe it'll keep getting better, maybe it will come back, but I'm going to try and keep my mind off of it.

13. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @arcaresystem The vibrating can associate to blood flow increases. To stay relaxed, try some soft rain or gentle running brook sounds at whisper level from a speaker, (not placed into ear), much lower than someone talking.

14. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Greg Sacramento Do you mind if I send you a message?
      I'm experiencing symptoms similar to the OP here. Would greatly appreciate your insight. I am on the back of a mild head cold, and the GP has seen some distention of my eardrum so I may have fluid even though I can equalise my ears using the Valsalva technique. Not enough fluid to be completely blocking them.
      Worse when laying down. Do you think this is fluid only? I've got vibrating that turns to a roar when moving and seems to generally lesson during the day.
      My ear feels "full" even though I can equalise it.

15. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Samantha R

Yes, feel free to PM me.

Hugs - your sounds should be temporary.

The Valsalva technique can cause the sound that you hear if blood pressure was raised from inhaling too strongly. Blood pressure quickly goes back to normal and the eardrum can remain sensitive, but not often distension. I doubt that this is your problem as you mention roaring when moving and less during the day. The muscles in your ears are causing the roaring. For you, I doubt that you have blood flow vascular PT - with direction to your carotid arteries. Not at your age and your good health habits - not being a smoker.

This should be temporary even with any vertigo. Using too pillows - keeping your head higher when sleeping often helps.

16. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Greg. Just what I needed to hear. You are an angel.
      I don’t seem to be able to PM you though?

17. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Greg, I noticed you are following me, but I still can't start a conversation with you, not sure why.
      I agree that I don't think it's vasuclar PT.
      I'm recovering from a head cold, but haven't had enough fluid in my ears to completely block them.
      I've seen 2 GPs and both said the tympanic membrane is distended, indicating the presence of fluid.
      I'm presently on anti-histamines and nasal spray.
      Initially, this started as an on/off vibrating (taking me back to when I first got tinnitus and had a "hum"), but this feels different in so many ways.
      So my ear is definitely vibrating, and this was becoming better as the day went on.
      When I'd wake up and move, the roaring noise was hideous, and I could feel it oscillate when there was noise around me. There's also a feeling of fullness, though I can successfully open my eustachian tubes. Doing the valsalva does not get rid of the fullness feeling as I think that's due to the vibrations?
      I do at times feel like there is fluid in my ear, and get crawling sensations on my outer ear (similar to when I had blocked ears back in 2018).
      One night earlier this week, I put my son to bed and he was a little emotional, so I lay with him. When I lay with him, my ear was fine. I fell asleep and woke an hour later, and it was buzzing and roaring like crazy!
      The doctor mentioned that when laying supine, the fluid is draining from my sinuses and into my middle ear where some is staying, causing the vibrations and other sensations.
      So I've been sleeping sitting up, and you mention using pillows - this has helped but the vibration is usually still there to a degree in the morning.
      Is it possible that the fluid that seems to be in my ear is irritating my middle ear muscles?
      It's so very weird, and I have been quite anxious.
      I've got an ENT appointment on the 24th, but I'm hoping it resolves before then of course!
      It's strange how it's intermittent, and my ears aren't fully clogged.
      I have had a mild feeling of this fullness before as my ears were starting to clog during a bad sinus infection.
      I did have a minor procedure Wednesday fortnight ago where I was given a light sedation with Propofol and a shot of a pain killer (I can't remember the name as I was quite groggy when I requested it).
      Two days after this procedure, the vibrations started. I was thinking it more coincidental than causative as I'd had a chesty cough progressing to a sore throat around the time of the procedure. I remember being concerned that if I sounded unwell, I might not be able to go ahead with the procedure.
      What do you think?

18. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In response to what you wrote above I mentioned that the muscles in your ears are causing the roaring. Feeling even more sure from what you wrote since in the thread "Real cause of tinnitus". It appears to be your stapedius muscle
      and when it spasms it makes a clicking or thumping sound. Stapedius attaches to the stapes bone, which conducts sound to the cochlea. For some, this starts at a young age from infections and colds.

Seen the issues that you also mention and from this the stapedius muscle may be inverted outward causing your ringing. This will invert back and vibrations will stop after fluid movement has stopped.

Propofol very rarely has caused tinnitus.

Something is wrong with my keyword - I can't type. :(
      Will fix it. Good luck with your ENT appointment tomorrow. Let me know how it goes and we can talk more.

19. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Greg Sacramento
      Thank you for your response. I’ll sleep easier tonight now, you have put my mind at ease.
      My ENT appointment is in a couple of weeks, I’ll keep you posted.
      Thanks for your support. I hope you are keeping well?

20. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I would say also when you lie down your ICP increases (because your CSF goes to your head more when you lie flat than when you sleep with your head elevated). When you do anything that makes your CSF rush to your head (excessive straining, sneezing, coughing, laying down flat or worse bending over etc) your ICP increases and anything that increases your ICP automatically increases the pressure on your inner/middle ear membranes. When you keep your head elevated (at least 30 degrees) it doesn't. (I do not think you have any kind of intracranial pressure problem on its own at all, I just think you have some kind of strain of the membrane/s between inner and middle ear. Most people who have issues with these membranes have perfect MRIs/ CTs and these are too small to be visible.) So, use 2-3 pillows and keep your head up, like, literally.

21. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for taking the time to reply. This is very interesting and I'm going to look more into this.
      Sounds like I won't be diagnosed if this is my problem, but sleeping sitting up has been one way I can help myself.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wonder if anyone else has this. If I rub my right eye, or even press on some parts of my face like the ear (even the left one) or cheek, I can create a moan-like tone in my right ear. The closest I can identify this sound with is sort of like the sound of a finger tracing a somewhat full wineglass rim, creating this pitch. The pitch is a middle tone. I’ve had it since last November, but recently it got much louder. It gets louder with other sounds too. Hoping it’s a spike and not a permanent one. I’ve not been sleeping well with it at all.
      Also, @Samantha R my roaring did pretty much disappear after a month since the onset. Whatever it is, I hope it goes away for you as well.

23. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @arcanesystem
      Since this happens in places besides rubbing eyes, ( with face and ears), it's probably just sensory nerve cells being hyperactive. Susan Shore discusses this and she recommends to relax.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @arcanesystem We had several conversations back in late May.
      I had asked you then, what happens if you rub your eyes? Left or right eye?
      You said yes to that.
      I then said your roaring will disappear.
      You don't register with hearing loss. Though that you had hyperactive sensory nerves.
      Stay relaxed and you should see improvement. :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      All my symptoms have resolved, thank goodness. The feeling is that I have Endolymphatic Hydrops.
      I've got in under control with diuretics and potentially Lysine and low dose naltrexone.
      I'm glad your roaring is gone, I'm sorry to hear you've got this new tinnitus.
      Sounds somatic? I've heard of others that can do this.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just want to say thank you so much for your input. I don't know what I would do without it.
      I'm actually slightly relieved this tinnitus is somatic because that means it's less of a mystery and there's a shot of it going away. I'm going back on magnesium and B-complex for stress. I'm trying to go to sleep on time as well. I haven't been on here lately, mostly because I've been trying to get my mind off of this condition. I guess it's obvious that I come back lurking when I'm having the worst days with my T.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I guess this is an update on how I’m doing. I’m surprised at how long I’ve lasted since the last time I had a change in my T sounds. So now there is this new thing. Since Saturday, I started to have a really loud spike in my left ear. It’s this mid-high pitch, which I have had in my left ear for a while. Usually, I notice it only when I’m tired and need sleep, and even then, it’s quiet, but now it’s gotten much worse. The strange thing about it is that whether I think about it or not, it seems to fade into the background (not sure if it really does), and then it comes back just as loud. This has absolutely no correlation with my mood, other sounds, or any of my movement. The usual methods I use to mask my T don’t help much, so I’ve really lost sleep over this thing for the past two nights. I feel like I’m used to getting new sounds/volumes because in my experience with T, I’ve had so many changes, I just can’t feel anxious anymore about them. I just get frustrated.

Not sure exactly what caused this one, but I’ll be sober about this. About a week and a half ago, I feel like a complete idiot, but I was a passenger in a car with really loud music on and didn’t say anything. I have also been to some moderately loud places, such as a few restaurants and a mall in the past week. I have 0 doubts that I may have a delayed spike from the loud car. The only other culprit I can narrow down to is coffee, but I feel like I’m just lying to myself. This morning, my T was quieter, but then I noticed it got louder after having coffee, so who knows. In my case, it’s usually hard to figure out what is screwing with my ears because I always get a delayed change/spike after the stimulus. I guess at this point all I can do is start waiting and see what happens with this. It’s just tough because this is probably the second loudest T I’ve had, and it’s just really driving me nuts that I can hear it over most things. I’m also still in the process of trying to figure out what can help either get my mind off the sound or soften it, but we all know how these things go.

28. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It is so strange how the problems seem to come and go almost as if for no reason. That's what just happened to me a few weeks ago. My new problem does seem to be a lot worse at night. I see a lot of the members here have more trouble at night. Do you?

Some try to suggest that it is because you aren't as busy at night and are thinking about the tinnitus more, and its more quiet. For me I can say 100% that it has nothing to do with that. I pretty much do the same things day and night because I am home all day and engaged in similar activities.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Since creating this thread, I've been able to deal with my sounds at night by masking. I was always able to cover up the sound with my fan and white noise coming from an app on my phone. This new volume in my ear is considerably louder than usual, it's harder to mask. I don't think it's just me thinking about it more because otherwise my tinnitus wouldn't bother me this much. I have considered that thought, but throughout the day when I'm focusing on something, suddenly this louder sound in my left ear distracts me. At this point I'm registering it as something distinctive from my usual tinnitus. I will say that ever since I've been in that loud car, I've been expecting a spike or a loudness in my usual tinnitus. I felt like it was a matter of time for my ears to worsen. Perhaps that contributed to my current spike.

This new sound volume is really frustrating me because I've been doing so well taking care of my ears, I event went off my vitamins because I felt comfortable managing without them. I'm expecting the worst if this is from acoustic trauma because there's essentially not much I'll be able to do about it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arcanesystem
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If it weren't so debilitating, it would be funny to me that this cycle it starting all over again since just a few days ago I was talking about how great I felt about getting my previous spike under control with sleep. So, here's an update...

The spike (still no clue what caused it, but main suspect was the loud car) in my left ear has lowered significantly and has become a lot bearable. The sound is still there but nowhere near as loud as it was before. A few nights ago without any explanation, my usually shimmering/ringing in my right ear, typically faint, has decided to start screaming. I had a brief moment of fleeting tinnitus one morning in said ear and it refused to calm down ever since. This spike unfortunately has been going on for the past three days now, and it's driving me nuts how this is another unexplained unilateral spike. Sleep has been sucking now too, especially after trying to manage my previous spike, so I'm pretty exhausted right now.

Occasionally there have been times in the past where I would wake up in the middle of the night and I would have a similar volume. It would settle to baseline after I would sit for a moment and take a few breaths. It raises the question - could this be posture related? It has been discussed before that with the constant fluctuation of my tinnitus, there could be a somatic issue at hand. And if this happened at times at night, maybe my sleeping posture is just... not great. I have been avoiding sleeping on my left side during the spike in my right ear, but now it's the opposite.

I have no reason to assume this one won't calm down since the previous one went down, but man, I'm REALLY sick of coming down from the anxiety of having one spike and then getting hit by yet another spike. For how long I've had my tinnitus, never has it been this sporadic, so I'm willing to admit I'm pretty pissy about the situation. I'm going to try and get my sleep under better control. There's also the stress of a new semester on my back. I think I should mention I'm in my second semester of an accelerated BSN program, so things are pretty busy. What I'm doing right now for this new hell is trying to give myself 1-2 hours of just relaxing before bed. During this time, I have the fan on for sleeping and lots of chamomile tea. Really crossing my fingers that this calms down, considering everything else going on.