Article Posted by the BTA: Tinnitus: Developing Effective Treatments or Even a Cure

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Ed209, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      • Like Like x 5
    2. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      Profile picture on point.

3. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      He's doing some useful work on trying to develop an objective test for tinnitus. The research project is funded by Action on Hearing Loss (not the BTA).

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ve read a lot about Will - and watched some of his videos - since Steve bought him to my attention a while back. He is good for the cause and I like his ideas. I’m aware his latest project is funded by Action on Hearing Loss as it says so in the article, but I found it on the BTA’s Facebook page as the title states. It’s interesting to note that he is the nephew of the BTA’s former president, Sir Stephen Sedley and that he is also a member of their professional advisory committee. So, he has close ties to them.

You can read more about his ideas here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5152595/

5. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      @Ed209,

Thanks for posting this.

I would love to hear a discussion between Josef Rauschecker and Will Sedley. I wonder if Will Sedley talked in plain language if his ideas and Rauschecker's might have a lot in common, which would be a good thing,

I do wonder about Will Sedley's commitment to tinnitus research. Although he acknowledges the role of his patients and their contribution to his research, he also said they can learn to get used to tinnitus in an article in The Times a while back. And, does he really think the treatment for tinnitus can be downloaded in a phone app?

BTA's income seems to be enough to cover operating expenses and projects exclusive of research. Funds for research comes from reserves, which probably originated as the bequests David spoke about during the Tinnitus Talk Podcast.

Have you looked at AoHL's finances? Perhaps they have more money to spend. Who funds what may be a matter of simple economics.

TC

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      They are much larger with an income of £40.1m and £11.6m coming from donations and legacies. It’s much easier to fund research at this level; the BTA is a very small charity and I think people often forget that.

A51FF13B-31B1-478D-AB92-AA2330B43691.jpeg
      A7168A97-3724-4E4D-B8F2-3E1C0677BEA7.jpeg

7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      The development of an objective measure for the presence of tinnitus SHOULD NOT be a prerequisite to the development of a cure. I know that makes the science harder but what if finding a cure is easier than finding the objective measure for its presence beyond the patient reporting it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I would think finding the cure is easier, at least when it comes hearing loss/noise exposure. I don't understand why they just won't focus on regeneration when that has been SHOWN to cure most cases of tinnitus. They only need means of prerequisite for other causes like stress/TMJ. Though I can only assume, from my theory, that TMJ aggravates and causes tinnitus from bone conduction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Eh? Where has it been shown? Care to link a few RCTs?

10. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      There's proof in some of the research/acute cases on this forum. Also, I think it's logical to assume that when people's tinnitus fades over the months, it's because they recover the hearing loss they suffered from in most cases. Meaning some of the higher frequencies are reestablished/regained because your ear starts to heal whatever hair cells and synapses you have left.

It's why some hearing aids help and also fade tinnitus out too, I would believe?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I was in a rush earlier and didn’t really get chance to comment in detail.

I’d agree with him that some learn to get used to it so I don’t really see a problem with that comment in general. As for the phone app comment that’s an interesting one because if Neuromod finds success with their device, in principle, that could be reduced to a phone app at some point so the idea as a whole is not beyond the realm of possibility. It all depends on what the cure for tinnitus looks like: is it a pill/injection of some kind or can it be treated with some form of multi-modal stimulation?

• Like Like x 1