ASMR's (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response) Effect on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Cathy C, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Cathy C

Cathy C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have just started listening and watching ASMR videos on YouTube. Namely, #GentleWhispering.

For anyone who doesn’t know what “ASMR” is — it’s Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, sometimes Auto Sensory Meridian Response, is a tingling sensation that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine. A pleasant form of paresthesia, it has been compared with auditory-tactile synesthesia and may overlap with frisson.

I started watching the ASMR videos for relaxation but noticed that my tinnitus (mine is a high pitched tea kettle whistle in both ears) seemed to fall back in sound to almost nil once the ASMR reaction occurred. Maybe the brain decides tingle sensation pleasure is more desirable than a loud high pitched ringing? Then I noticed that even after I turned the YouTube video off, the tinging was less pronounced, still there but just lower.

Now the weird part about this experience is that I have a hard time hearing light sounds and whispers EXCEPT when I am experiencing ASMR whereby I CAN HEAR whispers. This to me was groundbreaking. The only thing is that when I’m not in this ASMR state I still can’t hear whispers. So by no means is this a cure per se but certainly provides relief and a light at the end of the tunnel.

I’m wondering what reactions others have been having (if any) to ASMR? I think the brain may pick pleasure over false sound... but I’m no doctor and have zero expertise other than being a 25-year sufferer and hearing impaired as a result of my tinnitus. I was a musician with bad ear infections so I think the loud noise and ear infections created the perfect storm for tinnitus.

Anyway, if anyone else is experiencing a positive effect from ASMR please let me know — we may be onto something big!

• Like Like x 1
    2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Not everyone gets the tingling sensations. I have heard it described as a form of synesthesia. I used to though. There was a pumpkin tapping video that gave me such intense tingles, I felt almost high. My ears are really sensitive atm, but I'm curious to try this if they settle down.

3. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I listen to ASMR everyday and especially before bedtime. I have experienced some immunity to the effect though. I rarely get the insane tingles and relaxation like I used to, and I have to change up what videos I watch almost every day, because otherwise I don't get any effect at all, but when it hits... Damn! Not even a benzo is as relaxing as that. Just wonderful. My favorite triggers are hand sounds, whispers and eating sounds.

It hasn't had an effect on my tinnitus (or hyperacusis) though. Just relaxes me (sometimes).

4. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      The only thing ASMR does for me is make me agitated. I can't stand those sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. ECP

ECP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      being a caregiver for an elderly lady who is hard of hearing
      Very interesting! I never understood the appeal of ASMR videos. I never got those pleasant tingling sensations that other people raved about, nor did I understand what was so aesthetically pleasing or soothing about the noise.

However, about six months after developing tinnitus and noxacusis, I started getting tingling sensations in my scalp at random times, but only on days when my tinnitus, noxacusis and depression weren't very bad. On days when my symptoms were horrible, there would be no tingling at all. The correlation is unmistakable, but nobody has been able to tell me what it means. I personally think it's a sign that different regions of the brain are being healed, but what do I know? I'm not a doctor.

I don't get any pleasure out of the tingling in my scalp, but when it happens, I'm happy because it's an indication that my day is going to be relatively tolerable, pain-wise and noise-wise.

Update: I just tried to listen to two ASMR videos on YouTube, and I had to turn them off within the first thirty seconds. The whispering female voices instantly caused a burning pain. It must be a white-noise frequency that I'm particularly sensitive to. :(

I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal of the ASMR genre on YouTube, I'm afraid. But I'm happy for those of you who use it find temporary relief from your symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (also maybe med withdrawal)
      I used to enjoy ASMR a lot before I ruined my hearing with loud noise. I don't enjoy it anymore.

• Hug Hug x 1