Audiologist Appointment

Discussion in 'Support' started by James Foley, Feb 15, 2018.

1. James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have another appointment with an audiologist next week to discuss my seemingly worsening tinnitus. I'm quite a shy person and will happily sit and listen without contributing much to the conversation over fear of being wrong or sounding stupid, this is probably an unfortunate symptom of anxiety that I struggle with. The downside to this is that I probably don't come away from these appointments with the right questions being answered.

Would it be a good idea to bring my girlfriend along to the appointment for some support, or will the audiologist only be interested in what I have to say?

I'm quite open to my girlfriend so she knows what I'm going through and the issues I have, with her there I might come away with some better information. Again, I just feel like I may look a bit silly bringing someone along to the appointment with me...

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Take her with you if you need support and you can always write down a few questions on paper to go through with audiology.
      Let us know how you get on.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry for the late response, but the appointment went well, even if it was to just go over a lot of what has been said in the past. My girlfriend did come along with me and was able to share her side of things and bring up points I wouldn't have thought to even mention.

Overall the appointment was pretty reassuring, though I do come out of them frustrated that there was no specific cause to my Tinnitus. It also seems that I'm basically out of routes to investigate regarding a cause which is a little disappointing.

I was offered noise generators to help with the habituation process, but I declined for now as I personally feel these would draw more attention to the T. Monitoring is a big issue for me at the moment, the more I monitor my T, the more I worry, which makes me monitor more. Its a terrible vicious cycle. I'm trying my best to ignore the T completely and keep away from various T forums, one of the reasons why my reply has been a little delayed.

I still get spikes that last a day or so, and I feel like it is something in my diet as it usually happens after chocolate. Though there is no fixed pattern, I can eat horribly and not suffer a spike, so food probably has zero effect and I'm just associating bad days with foods.

If anyone knows of any simple diet related tests I can do to rule anything out, let me know as I'd love to give them a go.