Audiologists to Give Protection Pills to Amsterdam Dance Event Visitors

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Codaz, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Codaz

Codaz Member

2. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Waste of energy, time, and public resources. Probably also sponsored by 'Davitamon'.

Research should focus on core cause and evidence based solutions.

Only good thing about this is the awareness impulse for the general public.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      Am I missing something here? Is this just a fun experiment. Are they more likely to take pills! If they are 'not aware' isn't this a great opportunity to make them aware, some announcements, and give them a brochure on tinnitus and some free earplugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

They're not giving free earplugs, only the pills.

The thing is that this research is done by one for the most well known audiologists in The Netherlands that is familiar with tinnitus research.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think ear plugs and noise reduction plugs given out would be best.....lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Onnie
      No Mood

Onnie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      '09/1.0: Loud concert '15/2.0: Cause unsure
      I read about this and was not quite sure what to think....

They claim that the research on these pills looks very promising. They state that these specific vitamins and magnesium in the pills could influence the functioning of cells.

Amsterdam Dance Event takes place in October. I wonder who would be a guinee pig for such a thing...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

The thing is that magnesium is nothing new. I've read somewhere that magnesium was for ringing ears and that book / info was tens of years old.

8. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Yes, vitamin C completely reduces the damage of excitotoxicity in the synapses. But only if you take it before being exposed to excitory damage.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

But only the pills do not protect us from loud noise which can give tons of other problems, not to mention hyperacusis.

10. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Hmm so I just wonder if it will help after 4 months.. Any little bit at least.

11. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, excitotoxicity in the synapses can be caused by acoustics.

No, I'm afraid not.

12. Onnie
      No Mood

Onnie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      '09/1.0: Loud concert '15/2.0: Cause unsure
      Ok WoW, i never heard of this. Do you have a link/website/source? How much vit c should one take? I can imagine the pills not working if they are handed out and used that same night. I think it might take a couple of hours for the body to process this and the time this takes could be different for everyone.

13. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      That's a strong statement. Do you have a source for this? If that was true, the military and police would no doubt have vit C in their daily program.

14. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Generally vitamin C does not take that long to proliferate and the difference between people is not significant on the scale of an 8 hour party, in fact it is likely that the hardcore party goers would need another pill halfway through as the body quickly gets rid of it quickly, especially with heavy re-hydration. How much is a very good question, depending on the persons physiology it might not help at all, for most however it will help in protecting their hearing and reduce any temporary buzz. There is no overdose possible with vitamin C so I would suggest 1 gram.
      On the whole vitamin C has been shown to reduce excitotoxic damage in the first synapse of the auditory system, which is a part of hearing damage. Specifically in people that are more prone to synaptic damage, than they are to inner hair cell damage. Further sources and causes are written below.

I would not so easily regard military and police neurological excellence above that of audiologists.
      Normally I take time to explain, forgive me as I'm not as lucky in this period. Please help me out a little and try to find some sources on your own as well before discounting the following statements, an excellent tool for that is Google Scholar.
      It's indeed very foolish they don't have vitamin C in their daily regime but then again I was in a hospital recently where the restaurant picknick tables were covered in plastics shown to disrupt hormone function. These audiologists are not wrong about how to protect the auditory pathway from both temporary buzzing and permanent damage. Furthermore vitamin C is added to many of our foods already.

It's a real bummer that nobody has ever heard of this before these audiologists started handing out vitamins for hearing damage. I can't expect you to know everything on this forum already but the info is here.
      I would quote books but most simply would be the following observations and underlying papers. Please use wiki if there is something here that is unfamiliar, all abstracts are accessible without a subscription to the full journals.

The hair cells may be more resilient than the first auditory synapses in the cochlear nucleus, in other words the synapses can diminish through apoptosis before the cochlear epithelial cells or hair cells are damaged.
      http://journals.lww.com/neuroreport...icity_and_repair_of_cochlear_synapses.37.aspx
      http://www.jneurosci.org/content/29/45/14077.full
      The synapses of mammals being very basic and small things are all quite similar in their functioning, they have to be to function. For this reason the cases of studies on micro structures can be accurately representative in humans. It has been clinically proven in animals that vitamin C protects neurons from glutamate excesses in the central nervous system.
      http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378595504003478
      http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006291X09017811
      http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00016480701387132
      http://journals.lww.com/otology-neu...Review_of_Hair_Cell_Synapse_Defects_in.5.aspx
      It is important to note that MSG and synaptic glutamate are both treated exactly the same by the human body. This following study tested if vitamin C would also work in case of MSG induced excitotoxicity.
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2802046/
      Important to understand is that prolonged sound exposure compounds glutamate levels in the synaptic connections. Normally the glial cells will clean this up but the ability to release more glutamate can exceed the ability of the glia to clean it up. Whether the glia are helped by vitamin C, I do not know.

Soon a project called Join the Dots will launch, and the entire anatomy will be explained in the greatest detail. Vitamin C and hearing protection are the two most basic things one can do to protect their hearing.

Let me know if I missed something here which makes it impossible to piece the reasoning together.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

But you do not mention magnesium, and the audiologists do.

16. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      Thanks for your response. I did understand. I was just angry and being sarcastic. Knowing that people are 'unaware' and someone is taking the time to give them pills and yet nobody is taking the opportunity to warn them to use ear protection really upsets me. I was one of those 'unaware' people who was taken to just one indoor concert. There were no warnings. I am now very 'aware', but its too late - I have hearing loss and T from just one event. I guess at least handing out pills may alert the 'unaware' to the danger

17. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Since it's in Amsterdam, maybe they'll give out free Heineken's, to wash the pills down with? :D

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    18. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe the principle idea is that young adults don't understand the dangers enough to wear ear protection, but they wouldn't object if a doctor tells them this free healthy vitamin pill will protect them just the same. I'm pretty sure all of them have heard that it will damage their ears.

Fair point, I don't mention it because I haven't had the time to spend on researching and learning about the effect of magnesium on the auditory system, and I think I don't have the ability to state any claims on it. Presumably if the audiologists claim it helps I would also lean toward that possibility.
      I do know that magnesium has something to do with electrical charges in cells, and since apoptosis (neuron death) occurs because glutamate toxicity elicits a change in static charge it may be involved in the process. If anyone is interested, this would be my anatomical starting point.

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      And now because of these pills I can stand close to the speakers. My hearing is protected.:confused:

• Funny Funny x 1