Awoken to a High-Pitch Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kain, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      excessive loud music through earbuds
      Has anyone ever woken up and tinnitus was just louder than normal?

I’m sure it’s happened to some but last night I woke up around 2 in the am and my tinnitus was a higher pitch than it usually was.

Started feeling anxious about it and couldn’t go back to sleep for an hour.

I have no idea what could have caused it other than falling asleep to a podcast, which didn’t seem that loud.

It seems to be okay now, but I’ve been feeling anxious and a bit stressed all day by this, and I know those don’t mix well with tinnitus.

Any input? Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hope it continues going back down to your baseline, try to take a break from headphones and it's hard to reduce stress, I know but try :/ you can meditate, exercise, distract your mind, etc. I've woken up to loud T due to stress, usually goes back down once I've been stress free for a while which is so hard. Good luck and I hope you feel better, cheers :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Very low since2004/Went haywire in 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise in 04/Wedding dance floor and flying(?) in 18
      Anxiety. Has happened to me multiple times in the last few weeks. The T is on your mind constantly. You need to work to get it off and calm down.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I’ve often woken up in the middle of the night to a new noise that’s freaked me out but I’m fairly certain it’s been the way my neck is when I’ve slept in a bad position. The new noise fades once I’ve been up for a while.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Very frequently. Especially in the beginning and it is frightening to say the least.

If I am up late, tinnitus sometimes get really, really loud --suddenly. Have you ever noticed waking when you opened eyes or just before, the tinnitus begins? I did heavy metal detox daily for a couple months- (diet and soaking) which helped, sometimes for a few days at a time and my vision got better. But as soon as I stop, it goes right back to square one, tinnitus 24-7. I had ungodly anxiety when tinnitus began and I hope you are feeling better soon.

What helped me the most was generic OTC anti-histamine tablet --like benadryl. It must have HCl to work on me and only need it for a day or two.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      The same thing happend to me this night. So scary. Went to bed with my normal low tinnitus, woke up 1(!) hour later (which i normally never do) and noticed a very intense buzz in my head and a louder tinnitus in my right ear. I went to the bathroom and after 10 minutes it calmed down slowly, so i went back to bed. When i woke up today my tinnitus was back to very low.

No idea what happend.....

• Like Like x 1
    7. Jenny_S

Jenny_S Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi @Kain

I was once awoken at about 3am with this incredibly loud, high pitched ringing that lasted about 10 seconds in my ear (at that time) that didn't have tinnitus! It hasn't happened since (over a year and a half ago) and I hope it doesn't ever again! Hopefully to you too.