Bactrim, an Antibiotic — Ototoxic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mike, Mar 27, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      Has anybody took Bactrim? Did it have any effects on your tinnitus. Good or bad. I have to take it for the next 10 days.

2. J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Wished I could help you here, Mike, but all I know about this drug is that it is a sulfa drug (sulfonylurea).

For what it's worth, this drug is listed as a class 2 drug (class 1 being the least ototoxic, and class 5 the most) in my ototoxic drug book. Ototoxic side effects are tinnitus and dizziness.

With that said, I guess it is crap shoot to see if it bothers you or not.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I was given Bactrim DS last year Sept 2012 I took it twice a day for 5 days my T stayed the same...but again it could be different with others. My T was noise induced by the way.

4. DenisW

DenisW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      I've taken Bactrim DS on two occasions, once for 4 weeks, second time for two and experienced no adverse effects. T behaved as it usually does --some good days with hardly any ringing, then some days when it is loud and noticeable.