Bad Reaction to Loud Kids

Discussion in 'Support' started by stacey, Jun 22, 2016.

1. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey! So I know this is horrible but the other day I literally told someone's kids to shut up :/. This is what happened, I was at the supermarket and this woman with 5 kids all boys came right in the same aile as me and the kids started screaming and knocking groceries down. The mom did nothing to stop them.... so I tried covering my ears and stI'll I heard the intense screams so out of frustration and reflex I said " hey kids shut up!" :( I know this was bad. The mom and kids all got quiet out of shock, looked at me, after about 4 mins the mom took the kids and left.
      I think what I had was a T reflex , the same way when someone hits you and you hit back, but in this case when someone screams and you say shut up.
      As I result from the kids screaming I have a horrible spike and of course I ended up looking like the crazy girl.
      Has something like this happened to anyone where they couldn't take it anymore and lashed out???

At this point I just need to hear about others to not feel so bad :/

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      @stacey it is completely okay. The mom should have been watching her kids. Parents shouldn't be allowed to just let there kids run and act up in public. I think I would have done the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    4. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Hey stacey :)
      Im playing in a football team and the last match we won. So under the shower and in the small changing room they packed out the boxes and turned the music up. Obviously normal to them because we won and everyone was in a good mood, i then simply went to the boxes and made the music less loud. Angry and weird looks at me but I dont care. They dont have T, I do. i am glad I did so, and you should be too.

But I can totally understand how you are feeling! I mean we all WISH that we wouldnt have to do that, but better safe than sorry later!! And that was really a T reflex, I also get very tense and stressed when I am exposed to loud noise. And then quickly I could also say something like you did, out of reflex

• Like Like x 1
    5. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      It was the right thing to ask them to shut up. I guess the other customers really appreciated that you dared to ask this. Someone had to ask that. Everybody hates to hear crazy shouting kids like that :/

I'm really sorry to read it caused you a spike..
      I really hope you will feel better and forget about these little monsters soon :wacky:

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanx @Zora and @Julien87 , you guys definitely made me feel better for my reaction. Situations like that put us in such a bad place to be.

7. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I wouldn't venture into a supermarket or mall without a pair of good ear muffs at hand just in case. Better than plugs you just slap it on in a second and don't worry about noise

There will be loud noise ! we were all kids and definitely quite loud back then that's normal

There is a limit to what you can expect from others and there will be always the unexpected loud things falling down as well so be prepared

8. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I never cared that much for children before. These days I can't stand them near me. I've had to remove myself from shops to avoid dishing out a similar reaction.

Seen and not heard.....ah the good old days...

• Like Like x 1
    9. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Same thing happened to me while renting a car in an airport office... There was a kid playing with a very noisy door next to me and keep opening and closing it and creating these bangs which were very uncomfortable to my ears, so I got to the point that I just asked the kid to stop and then the mother came all upset about it and said it was just a kid... I explained her I have T and H and that kids should be supervised in public places and I just left...

I didn't feel good about telling him off but I still feel kids should be supervised rather than being let loose around... They can be a noisy bunch.. :)

Hope your spike settles down.. Take care of yourself and your ears !