Bad Tinnitus Clearing Up After 2 Years — Here's What I Did

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by RingingOn, Dec 25, 2023.

1. RingingOn

RingingOn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I had bad tinnitus in one ear for 2 years. Strangely the onset always came after lying my head down at night or after a daytime nap.

I have tried many different things over 2 years, including lifestyle changes.

I’m not sure if what I will present was the gradual fix but I will share and maybe it will help you.

I noticed my tinnitus would increase if I smoked marijuana (which I have stopped) but that seemed to only help sometimes. My tinnitus definitely improved when I finally quit the bad habit. Perhaps growing chemicals in it attributed to it.

I recently found out from a hospital visit that I had very high glucose numbers from eating way too much sugar all the time. I cut out all excess sugar like sweets, sodas, candies, cakes etc. to prevent me from becoming diabetic. Since I’ve done this I’ve had a massive improvement. I thought perhaps the tinnitus was a symptom of my high glucose numbers which I wouldn’t have found out had I not been admitted to the hospital for other reasons.

Finally, I sleep close to a fan, and have noticed that if I put it farther away from me, I have significantly less tinnitus episodes. I’m not sure if the electronic radiation or perhaps the wind drying ear canal was the culprit but everytime I’ve slept close to it again, the tinnitus seems to come back. It may also have to do with the fan noise by my head when I sleep. Either way, moving it farther away seemed to greatly help. So if you have anything noisy by your head when you sleep, try to distance it farther so you have more quiet.

I also started a daily Ginkgo biloba supplement along with Magnesium. I don’t know if this helped or not.

It could just be that over 2 years the symptoms have improved on their own. Tinnitus is such a strange thing I can’t tell.

I will say if you experience a sudden onset of tinnitus, don’t give up hope. I had it very bad for a long time and it DID vastly improve to the point it’s basically gone now.

I hope this gives some ideas and thoughts to try to other who may be suffering as well. A lot of people improve over time, usually over 2 years. I thought for over a year I would be plagued with this forever but it’s not the case. So don’t get down or depressed. I was once like many of you. I can say now it’s 90% gone and almost unnoticeable now.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      This is a agreat success story, a 90% reduction over 2 years is ASTOUNDING!

You seemed to have figured out things by basic trial and error.

Sadly though, this is your first posting so there is no clear before and after. So it's not possible to read your history, number of noises, loudness, types of noises, severity level etc.

Usually people do the exact opposite, they write a lot of befores but don't come back to write the afters.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Juliane
      Heartbroken

Juliane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise /acoustic trauma
      Thanks a lot for sharing your story!

You say the onset came on after lying down or taking a nap. Does that mean your tinnitus was not constant?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. sspencermo

sspencermo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19 vac? who knows?
      Thank you so much for sharing your hopeful story! Like you, my tinnitus comes on after a nap or sleep; mine isn't constant -- it's always there in the morning, but two out of three days it goes away after a shower and doesn't reappear until after I've gone to sleep again. Hoping my outcome is similar to yours...

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Pixelito
      Surfing

Pixelito Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too many Rush concerts
      This is encouraging. And yes, smoking weed will absolutely blast your tinitus volume into overdrive. Cutting that out alone probably resulted in the majority of your recovery.

6. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      My tinnitus intensified to its distressful level almost 2 years ago (in February 2022), and it has only gotten worse since then, no improvement with time, despite protecting from noise trauma. I haven't smoked weed, but THC edibles didn't affect my tinnitus. Neither did CBD oil.

• Informative Informative x 1