Baking Soda

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Drecul, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Drecul
      Balanced

Drecul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      In the Cannabis groups on facebook I came across the story of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Baking soda is a mineral (often used in baking) that will increased the pH in your body extremely fast. Cancer cells cannot survive in an alkeline body.

Foods that alkeline your body are : green vegetables, lemons, Green tea.
      Since I'm Skeptical open minded I always use to take this story with a pinch of soda. ;)

However 93.000 vids on youtube and 1.250.000 results on baking soda cancer cure in google cannot all be lying.
      Unless of course there is a conspiracy by baking soda manufacturers to up the sales. However baking soda is so cheap that this would be silly to say the least.

But again I was skeptical.

Some time ago I came across some documents on Chemo therapy to my suprice one of the ingriedents of chemo therapy is: BAKING SODA!

So I did some searching on Baking soda and Tinnitus and low and behold, it is listed as a treatment!

What to do:

Put 1/2 a spoon of baking soda into a 1/2 glass of water and drink twice a day for 2-3 weeks.

I will surely gives this a try.

• Like Like x 6
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. I honestly think that only the water will do the same job here(y)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Drecul
      Balanced

Drecul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Another thing to add:

They say that you need to cut your salt intake down with T. I would replace salt with Himalayan Crystal Salt, it has 84 minerals in it and is very healthy unlike normal table salt.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Dracul....howd u go with baking soda?

5. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Dracul hi. Thanks for the salt alternative. As food without salt is bland.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I've been using baking soda for about a year now (off and on), as a remedy for restless legs. It also seems to help with sleep.

I didn't know it was a possible tinnitus remedy, as well!

Drecul, we'd love to hear from you as to its effectiveness for tinnitus.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Drecul
      Balanced

Drecul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I brush my teeth with backing soda and coconut oil. However as a salt replacement I use Pink Himalayan salt which has 84 minerals in them and backing soda is just one mineral.

I can't say it has done much for my T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      OK -- Thanks, Drecul. That has been my experience, too.

I use it for other reasons, too, but haven't noticed any difference in my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Baking soda is loaded with aluminium and salt. I wouldnt use it myself.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Baking soda is sodium bound with hydrogen, carbon and oxygen -- there is no aluminum present, and the sodium is not the same as "salt" (which is sodium bound to chloride).

11. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      As far as pH goes, there is really no way to control it in your body. Eating food that are alkaline or acidic is irrelevant to the pH levels in your stomach. It is all regulated by the body. Alkaline eating is a myth. There is no scientific data that supports it. We cannot control the pH levels in our stomach or blood. The only pH levels you have some control over is urine pH and that really does nothing for you, health wise.

12. RedFeather29

RedFeather29 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      N/a
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      N/a
      Erik,

Sorry. Dead wrong. My health improved because of Baking Soda. Unless you’re in pharma rooting for useless medicines you’d know better. Ever try it?

13. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Dear Erik,
      do you have a link to some scientific data that supports the statement that
      cause what you say is really weird.
      So what you are saying is that no matter how much alkaline food you put in a body and no matter how little acidic food you put in it (even almost zero), the pH in blood doesn't change? I find that hard to believe. Doesn't make sense to me.
      You may be right, but i would like to read some proof.

14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes. Not only is this the case, if it were not, you'd be quickly dead. The pH of your stomach can vary within a range, based on acid production, microbiome and to some extent food/drink; the pH of your urine will vary slightly based on how concentrated it is and what waste is being excreted. But, your blood doesn't really vary, homeostatic mechanisms keep it within ~0.1, from ~7.35-7.45; if it were to get outside of that very narrow range you would quickly run into serious (probably fatal) complications. This is noncontroversial and extremely well documented.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC137247/
      https://acutecaretesting.org/en/jou...-blood-ph-survival-following-extreme-acidosis
      Overly acidic blood is called acidosis. This is not a "I feel a little crappy" problem, it is life threatening.
      https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/hormonal-and-metabolic-disorders/acid-base-balance/acidosis
      Additionally -- the stomach is incredibly acidic, compared to the blood, which is necessary for food to be broken down. So, the idea that eating more basic foods will significantly alter pH in the rest of the body doesn't make much sense.
      https://vitals.lifehacker.com/no-foods-do-not-alter-the-ph-of-your-blood-1789963745

That latter quote is actually taken from Chris Kresser; in general I find him well read, but he's an acupuncturist by trade so you have to take some of his ideas with a grain of salt. That said, when I was really struggling with reflux, I found what he had to say about it pretty interesting, and his strategy of limiting carb intake to control gut biome along with making the stomach more acidic by consuming trace amounts of apple cider vinegar, had a better and positive effect on my reflux than any of the medical interventions I'd tried (including OTC and prescription drugs). That is only tangentially related to the subject at hand, but it's worth a read for anyone with GI issues:
      https://chriskresser.com/what-everybody-ought-to-know-but-doesnt-about-heartburn-gerd/

More germane to the issue at hand, he also did a pretty thorough job attempting to debunk many of the alkaline diet claims: https://chriskresser.com/the-ph-myth-part-1/

15. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
    16. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      If you're interested in raising ph look for and drink a good quality water with a naturally high ph. There are some that raise it artificially but natural is the way to go. I like Evian 7.4 or Fiji at 7.8. Can't say if it helps tinnitus but it won't hurt it either and it's good for you so why not.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My coworker, who is an older Russian lady, said that her friend drinks baking soda mixed with water for tinnitus and it works.

18. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Works temporarily or works permanently?
      Also what sort of tinnitus does that person have?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Works temporarily, coworker said her friend takes it when needed. Not sure about type of tinnitus.