Balloon Popped Outside Right in Front of Me, Resulting in a Tinnitus Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by Diskgrey, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Diskgrey

Diskgrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably stress and neck spine?
      Hello,

I have had tinnitus for 7 years right now - it has been fluctuating but for most of the time I was able to live with it (cause unknown, most probably problems with neck spine). I have no hearing loss - my tinnitus is probably somatic (I can modulate it with movements of my jaw and neck).

However, most recently I was at a birthday party where they used those modelling balloons (from which you can make animals etc.) one of which - unfortunately - popped on the table right in front of me (probably 50 cm from my ears). Since then (that was 2 weeks ago) my tinnitus has been a nightmare - hearing it constantly and having no relief whatsoever. I have been prescribed Prednisone (started taking it 3 days after the trauma) but no effect at all :-(. Now I will be undergoing HBOT...

Do you think the spike might be permanent? I have measured the loudness of the balloon burst (wearing ear protection) and it was 108 dB max. It felt louder but that is what the sound level meter says... I was also wondering if somatic tinnitus might get worse by a loud noise?

Thanks for all the support.

Mat

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Hey Mat,

Sorry to hear about your recent spike.
      Everyone has hearing loss, to a certain degree. My audiogram pretty fine, but I know my tinnitus is noise induced because it was an acoustic incident that set it off. I can also modulate my tinnitus through my jaw, but it's pretty common even for noise induced tinnitus. I don't know for certain, but you may have noise induced tinnitus, as the majority of us has.
      100+dB sounds are objectively loud, and for compromised ears, this could definitely worsen tinnitus or at least cause a spike. I think the general consensus is that spikes can last for a very long time, but most often than not, they do improve. It is too early to say anything, so wait at least 3 months before drawing conclusions.

I wish you the speediest of recoveries,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 2
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Have you tried physiotherapy?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      What measuring device did you use? How huge was the balloon?

I have measured a lot of sounds being above 110 dB that occurs now and then, many items falling on the floor actually.

Some even 115 dB if near. Even measured 112 dB when throwing a tin can in my empty recycle bin made of plastic. So it is very difficult to not be exposed to these levels.

I have measured with a Uni-T UT353, because I have found some mobile phones to "max out" on about 95ish dB when using measuring apps.

Also, I hate balloons. I cannot fathom that plastic straws are now prohibited but not balloons...
      What does it sound like and is it a new tone or the old being suddenly louder?
      Both sides?

Also, have you tried NAC or Magnesium? (Don't know if they are compatible with Prednisone though.)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Diskgrey

Diskgrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did in the past, which always seemed to help a bit - I will be continuing that...

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Diskgrey

Diskgrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I use the machine called Voltcraft SL-100 - it is a sound level meter claiming that it should be accurate +-3 dB. I was not using my mobile phone.

As far as the ballon is concerned, it was not that big - it is a long thin balloon (like these):

115756982-animal-figures-made-of-modelling-balloons-on-white-background.jpg
      Both sides are now louder, but it is worse in my left ear (and always has been).
      I am no longer using Prednisone - it was for 9 days only. I am using Magnesium right now, never tried NAC - I have read that it is only effective it started VERY EARLY after the onset - since it has been 2 weeks, I doubt that it might help. Do you have any experience with it?

7. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have taken NAC and extra Magnesium sometimes in the last year when I have gotten "scared" after experiencing unexpected unknown levels of noise. I don't know if it has helped or not ( don't know if something would have happened if I did not take it), but I did it anyway for some days after the incidents.

Magnesium I take 300 mg every day as standard supplement.

None of these supplements have really made changes of the existing/old tinnitus sounds though, but I have not taken very high doses for a long time.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Diskgrey

Diskgrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just a quick update - one month since the spike started and very little relief - I have been doing HBOT (20 sessions) and there might have been some reduction in the loudness (like 10 %) but my tinnitus is still much louder than it was before the accident...

Is it still possible that my tinnitus will improve back to its normal baseline? This month has been really hard and challenging...

9. Mnq16
      Surrender

Mnq16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown- Visual Snow related
      How are you doing now?

10. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Yes, it can still return back to baseline.

With time, and with protecting against new sudden, loud sounds (as far as possible).

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1