Barbiturates for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by undecided, Jul 9, 2016.

1. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Now I'm touching on a sensitive subject, so I'm going to let my pet cat (also a T sufferer) do the talking...

"Barbiturates are scheduled drugs in almost all the countries in the world. They have been primarily used for controlling seizures in older patients, who swear by them and don't ever ever want to switch over to clonazepam or any other benzodiazepine for their condition.

Now barbs and benzos are essentially the same thing - babrs seems to like blocking AMPA and glutamate receptors and extract their effects by increasing the duration of chloride ion channel opening at the GABAa receptor - benzos on he other hand increase the frequency of the chloride ion channel opening at the GABAa receptor.

So basically, barbs and benzos achieve the exact same thing by taking a different shortcut. Now, me being a smart cat, I managed to obtain a bunch of these babies:

https://i.imgsafe.org/129e20bf4f.jpg

Yeah, this is a small dose of phenobarbital (~10mg or less inside each pill) along with some GABA massaging herbal shit like valerian and peppermint but it's a barbiturate nonetheless.

So how does a medium to long acting barbiturate react with a tinnitus suffering cat.
      I downed five of these babies, (I'd guess about a 50mg dose) and certainly did feel some relaxation and volume decrease.

I'm not yet decided whether this beats benzos but being a curious cat, I'd be more than happy to continue my tests. My research indicates that a proper phenobarbital dose is around 90mg, so that's my next experiment.

That's it for now. In the name of science, I'm determined to testing the efficacy of these beautiful drugs for all you nice people and, obviously, myself. Cheers

Side note: I don't know why, but the pills smell great. I think it's the peppermint.

Here's a very nice piece I've managed to dig up on the net: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK217858/

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I'm pretty interested in this!

I wish there was a way to tell whether or not a sedative actually reduces the T signal, not just the person's perception of it.

I mean, if I were out of my mind sedated with xanax or something, I wouldnt be able to even focus enough to even care about the T.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Great post, as per usual. ☺️

However, don't barbiturates also have tolerance and addictive tendencies? Which begs the point - why not just stick with Benzos which are potentially safer if taken infrequently?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Indeed they do. Both the tolerance and the addictive part is true.
      Actually they are considered even more dangerous (even lethal) when taken in larger doses.

But there are some people who have been on them for the better part of their lives and they totally swear by them.
      So my cat thought, hey why not give it a shot...
      I don't think that my cat will conclude that barbs are superior to benzos or vice versa, but she thought it might be worth a try. Stay tuned.

• Funny Funny x 2
    5. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Yeap, that's the dope. Marketed as a heart medication. Those pesky Russians. :D
      Yes, you can buy it freely from mother Russia. They sell it over the counter there, obviously a great snack alongside vodka.
      Buy from a half decent on-line pharmacy there, they hide the dope in special tape and air filters inside boxes so that they cannot be sniffed out by dogs in customs. Or so my cat says.

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do benzos work for you in the same manner, @undecided? I'd never encourage someone to just take benzos forever, but compared to barbs they are 'safe'. I'm hard pressed to imagine any real reason to take barbs since the advent of diazepam, barring a couple of really obscure/unusual situations where they are medically preferable.

8. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think barbs are just more effective versions of benzos. They both work on GABA, and taken in overdoses, benzos cause sedation and euphoria, as do barbs; but barbs slow your heart rate, breathing, and movement... barbs are basically the most powerful sedatives (not anesthetics) there are. If you take just a little bit too much, they physically sedate your heart's muscles, stopping it from beating.

Dignitas gives their clients a phenobarbitol cocktail to make them die. Just one glass of cherry-flavored barbs, and you're dead. 100% guaranteed. It would take several bottles of xanax to achieve the same effect...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Nembutal is the last resort drug for severe tinnitus. Take enough and it will silence your tinnitus permanently...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I haven't heard the word "barbiturates" since the 1970's. Hell, for a minute I thought I stepped into a thread about an episode of Police Woman. :LOL:

pepper.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also, I forgot to say, be careful using these, man! They've been out of mainstream use for decades... they're dangerous as FUCK compared to benzos. I don't think I made that clear in my last post in this thread... Follow proper dosing - or you could get VERY sick, ending up with brain damage, or even wind up dead!!

It makes me nervous that you got these drugs from Russia. Who knows what standards they follow over there.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just relax man, he is only using them on his cat! :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    14. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      But the cat is just as likeable, and is one of us (T sufferer).

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      As far as my cat can tell, benzos and barbs work in pretty much the same way. She hasn't had that much experience in barbs, only taken 'em twice (one small dose of 10mg as a test and a larger dose of 50mg).
      10mg is practictally a non-dose. 50mg she started getting the relaxed feeling of a good downer along with some volume reduction. But 50mg is still a small dose an my cat is fearless.

My cat is fully aware of the barb dangers. Unless she decides to pull off a Judy Garland, she'll be safe.
      Also, I'm quite sure that the standards followed in Russia are at least on par with those of India, Bangladesh or Pakistan where most of the generics are manufactured (and are massively consumed in the US and EU).

Nah, she's nasty. She'll probably get addicted and start seizing again when the stash runs out. I'll make sure I pump her full of valerian, gabapentin and alcohol so she can taper the barb addiction. :LOL:

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Experiment day today.
      The cat took 7 pills (damn they smelled nice) and downed them with some orange juice (she likes it).
      She cheated by cutting a 3mg lexotanil in half (that's about 0.125 xanax for you benzo-illiterates out there) and eating that as well.
      She told me she was just checking to see if this:
      stands to any reason.

Apparently it did, since my cat had a very-very quiet morning, one of the quietest lately.
      Damn, she is so over-excited she might just have to re-do the whole thing in Thursday (you know, just to be scientifically exact, yeah).

17. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

18. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Can you stop talking about your cat, you aren't fooling anyone.

Be careful.

• Funny Funny x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      No way.

Well, there is the issue of self-incrimination, I know this is an anonymous forum and all but you never know and barbs are very-very illegal.
      So yeah, my cat will still have a huge part in this thread and not I in any way.
      I stay away from such substances.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Your cat isn't going to save you from self incrimination.

• Like Like x 1
    21. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting; I read somewhere that benzos are, or were, OTC there...

if you somehow attract the sort of attention that will care about discussion of individual use of illicit drugs, the "SWIM" fig leaf will not deflect consequences. You would be better off to either indicate in your post that you have a script for these drugs (which is not unheard of by any means, I have been prescribed barbs once or twice) -- or simply using a throwaway account.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. This forum literally has threads where people have conspired to have counterfeit drugs manufactured overseas and stuff like that; this thread is not really a liability compared to that.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Thank you both for your input, it's kind of you to consider my well being.
      Having said that, one more attempt is gonna be made at this barb thing and a final conclusion will be attached.
      So that's settled.

Nope, all benzos, barbs, opiods, uppers (adderall, cocaine, methamphetamines etc), essentially anything that will show its full effect/potency within hours of ingestion or consumption is scheduled and enforced in a very very strict way.

Almost any other psychotropic substance (stuff that I consider more dangerous long-term, like Seroquel, venlafaxine, hard serotonin drugs etc) are all OTC. Go figure.

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I for one really appreciate your cat being a test bunny for other potential pharmaceutical remedies that may assist us. If it wasn't for generous animals like your cat, we would all have accepted the usual "No, there is nothing you can take to help with Tinnitus, just get over it" that about the 99.99999% of physicians say after the onset of Tinnitus.

• Creative Creative x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      OK, final experimentation day,
      Cat ready to go, having had a good nights rest. Reported tinnitus as mildly intrusive but had worse.

Ate 5 corvalol pills at once, (I tell you it's the smell, irresistible).
      Reported phenobarbital dosage around 50+mgs according to wikipedia, ~45mgs if you take into account the more conservative writing on the box.
      Cat went out for some work, felt pretty much as usual (has a high benzo/barb tolerance) but certainly appreciated the definitive tinnitus reduction.
      A couple of hours later, sucked down another five pills, making a grand total of say around ~100mg phenobarbital.
      That's half a box, but hey - each pill contains a very small amount of the active substance.

Was having a great day, so had a couple of dips of red wine at lunch, not really being scared of the nasty Internet stuff about barbs and other downers.

Noise was reduced to a 0.5-1/10 hiss on the right ear. No side effects, no sleepiness or "nasty Internet stuff".
      Came home on what continues to be a very quiet afternoon. Phenobarbital is a long acting barbiturate so it lasts.

Conclusion: my cat is definitely a barb person - er, animal. She likes the fact that phenobarbital does not come with any side effects for her, just a tinnitus reduction. Sadly, barbiturates are hard to come by, so she'll have to do with large amounts of booze and Lyrica :woot:

DISCLAIMER: Just because my cat can take tons of CNS depressants along with other crap, does not mean that you can handle the same. Use the aforementioned dope with extreme care, use your brain. Barbiturates are used in hospital pre-surgical anesthesia and other procedures so they're not funny little pills to toy with.

• Like Like x 1
    25. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lyrica reduces volume for you? I've taken a bit of gabapentin, but never lyrica.

26. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @undecided will your cat continue to take you think?

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      No, it doesn't. It just makes me care less. Just like gabapentin.

Nope.
      Pills are hard to get.
      They contain a very small amount of the active substance.
      They're Russian made. (although that could be a good thing).
      It's too much of a bother to order them.
      They're not too different from benzos, for which I can easily get a legit script.
      They're illegal, so if one in a million you end up in a hospital, you may end up in jail cell later.

28. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      at a glance these appear to be widely available and trivially easy to obtain in the US, but also appear to be illegal in the US. Strange...

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I would just like to remind everyone that barbiturates are not very dissimilar to benzodiazepines such as Valium, Xanax or Ativan. They are mostly illegal and you will not get much benefit out of them (you may get ZERO benefit out of them) compared to your (probably) legit benzo script.
      This thread was done out of my own curiosity because I am dumb enough to try stuff for myself and I am always careful + (do not want to sound like a dick) well informed.

This is a general closing post for anyone reading this thread and not intended for people like @1MW or @linearb who generally seem to know what they are doing.

30. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      " The effects range from mild sedation to coma " Nah i'll pass lol.