Best Bluetooth Pillow Speakers for a Good Night's Sleep with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by BuzzingBay, Jun 15, 2023.

1. BuzzingBay

BuzzingBay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been using Sound Oasis pillow speakers pretty successfully lately, with a binaural beats sound designed for sleep. Since my long-time tinnitus has been really loud for the past few months, getting to sleep has been harder more often than not (although I can go back to sleep easily after I wake up in the middle of the night for a pee break or to deal with annoying cats). Due to my constant tight neck and jaw issues, I also sleep with a heating pad set up on my pillow in case I need it, and all the wires are driving me crazy.

Does anyone know of decent pillow speakers (I am trying not to wake my husband with the sounds I need to listen to) that are Bluetooth or otherwise wireless? Most of what I'm finding online is wired, which seems so odd, considering the proliferation of wireless devices for just about everything else.

For the record, I've had tinnitus for close to 5 decades, but it's only gotten bad since I had some involved dental work about 10-11 years ago. I'm almost definite it's not noise induced -- I suspect it's related to my TMJ issues, and possibly to minor whiplash in my teens. It's primarily in my left ear, which is where my TMJ issues seem to be. Since the dental work I mentioned, it's been getting worse and worse, and lately it's getting almost impossible to ignore. I use a Widex hearing aid in my left ear that sometimes helps, but right now it's not doing much. I can ignore the tinnitus somewhat during the day -- I listen to audiobooks a lot -- but at bedtime it's gotten really difficult. I'll keep using the Sound Oasis speakers, because listening to the sleep sounds definitely seems to be helping me to fall asleep, but I'm hoping I can find a wireless pillow speaker solution. I'll try pretty much anything...

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand it's rough, but have you tried working on falling asleep without masking? I have excruciatingly loud tinnitus (~55-60 dB) and I have no issues falling asleep at the moment, mostly because I got my anxiety under control. Maybe leaving your comfort zone could help you adjust? Just my two cents.

To the actual question - have you tried headphones or earbuds at a very low volume to not disturb your husband? I know that's not really "safe" for your ears, but if the volume is low enough, it shouldn't matter.

3. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      I also use a wired pillow speaker. The wire is pretty annoying, I agree. The pillow speaker I have has a blue, furry soft cover, which I really like since I can lay with it right next to my ear with tinnitus (my right ear). I sleep in my back most of the time, so I just prop it next to my ear. What's annoying is that, as I move around in the night, I invariably get tangled up with the wire. Having a wireless speaker would help, but I'd want one that I can prop next to my ear. I hope someone can give you a good recommendation to help with your situation.

Do you put your speaker in your pillow?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BuzzingBay

BuzzingBay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm not masking, just listening to very quiet almost-music designed to encourage a good night's sleep. Supposedly binaural beats work better with earbuds or headphones, but I've been okay with the pillow speakers. And it's supposed to be played pretty quietly. If I could find wireless earbuds comfortable enough to sleep with, I'd be happy to try them. I just haven't found the right ones yet, at least not at a price point I'm comfortable with.
      I pinned my right and left wired speakers to my pillow inside the pillowcase.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Ah, pinning them is a good idea. I'm often knocking mine out of place. I hope you find wireless ones that work for you.

6. RocketJSquirrel

RocketJSquirrel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      Maybe you would like a soft headband style pair of 'phones? I like SleepPhones. I'm a side sleeper and they are comfortable for me.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BuzzingBay

BuzzingBay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I tried those, but they don't work with my CPAP headgear. I'm stuck with using speakers or, if I could find ones that fit comfortably for sleep, earbuds.

8. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      As already mentioned, you can get wireless headband speakers that work well.

9. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Hearing aids work well. Only time I use them is for sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BuzzingBay

BuzzingBay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have one hearing aid that I use during the day. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't work as well since the tinnitus got so much louder. I haven't slept with it. I want to use something with which I can listen to soft music or binaural beats for sleeping, not for masking my tinnitus. But maybe I should try sleeping with the hearing aid. Sometimes it irritates my ear, though, and I need to take breaks from it. I'll think about it.

11. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Have you tried breathing exercises? I tried various sleep headphones and speakers but I've found by extending the length and depth of my breathing I can be asleep in 5 minutes. You may need to work on doing this quietly to avoid disturbing your husband!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BuzzingBay

BuzzingBay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been doing some Alexander Technique exercises, which help, too. But thanks for the suggestion of breathing. I might try that. In truth, I don't always have trouble falling asleep, but I've been finding the music soothing. Plus, I think it's a cue to my brain to focus on an external sound, but maybe focusing on anything -- not a sound -- might do the trick. Worth trying, since we have a trip planned and I won't be bringing a million electronics with me (the CPAP is enough of a PITA).

13. RocketJSquirrel

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      • Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BuzzingBay

BuzzingBay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That looks like it has potential! I'll look into it. Thanks!

15. RocketJSquirrel

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      @BuzzingBay, did you ever find a pillow speaker you like?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BuzzingBay

BuzzingBay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown