Bose NC Headphones Versus Generics (Cowin) for Hyperacusis Relief

Discussion in 'Support' started by BenzoMom, Aug 19, 2019.

1. BenzoMom

BenzoMom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo WD
      I have a cheaper pair of generic noise cancelling headphones, which are ok (still squeeze my ears and hurt them) but after the past several days of intense (Level 4) hyperacusis, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to purchase the Bose set? If the Bose set is that much better, even just wearing without music? I don't want to spend $300 but if they are far superior, I'm willing at this point for the relief.

God help me - this is HELL. I'm so sorry for people that are suffering from this so intensely - I had no idea.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My advice to you is to stop using any kind of headphones as you risk making your tinnitus permanently worse. On your profile it says: Tinnitus caused by Benzo? The fact that you have hyperacusis indicates that you have "Noise induced Tinnitus". When a person has hyperacusis it is usually caused by exposure to loud noise.

Think carefully about what you are doing regarding headphone use. If I were you I wouldn't use them even at low volume. It is the headphone that is making your tinnitus worse. Changing to a more expensive model is unlikely to make any difference.

Be careful about following advice from some people that will tell you headphones used at a low volume will cause no harm. This is not true for everyone with "Noise induced Tinnitus". If your tinnitus becomes worse due to headphones it is unlikely to reduce in volume.

I wish you well.
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BenzoMom

BenzoMom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo WD
      Thank you. Sorry, I should have specified. I am only using them right now as ear protection - I have not yet played any music but I thought maybe doing some pink noise at the lowest level could help me but I don't know - I don't know what is best to be able to live/tolerate and be in my home. I have hardly used the headphones at all, honestly. I believe it is the benzodiazepine withdrawal causing the hyperacusis/tinnitus, or most of it. Hyperacusis/hypersensitivity to noise IS a benzodiazepine withdrawal symptom but whether there is more going on here I am unsure about so I made an appointment with an audiologist/ENT tomorrow. This seems pretty severe compared to how it had been. Should I just be wearing earplugs at this point? If so, the foam ones really hurt my ears - I have a wax one in my right ear right now as I don't want to mask things too much at this point.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I do understand how you feel. I do not advise playing pink or white noise or any type of audio through your headphones. This is just my advice. If you want to experiment and see if playing white noise or any other type of audio through your headphones help then do so but it's something I do not recommend.

The most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise. Typically it is headphones use and listening to loud music at clubs or concerts. Many other things can cause too. Stress, medication and much more. Please click on the links below and read my posts which you might find helpful. I advise caution if you decide to use earplugs. More about this is explained in my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it, below.

All the best to you.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BenzoMom

BenzoMom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo WD
      Thank you. I'm pretty desperate right now. This is VERY severe. My ears are burning and they feel like they have a stabbing pain. This is noise from inside my house - just normal conversations are hurting, let alone other things, like dishes, the refrigerator ice dispenser, silverware, crumbling plastic bags, etc. I had no idea how bad this could get. They were sensitive before and it was annoying/frustrating but these last 5 days or so, there is physical pain associated. I put olive oil in my ears a week ago for a few days and I don't know if that's related or if it's all just from the medication w/d. I am praying that this will ease up some but in the meantime, I just need to survive this......I got tinnitus one night after taking Tylenol but again, I also believe this is related to the benzo w/d and it's going to take me months/years to get off of it. I always had "sensitive ears" but this is like nothing I could have imagined.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What is your doctor telling you to do?

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      If you need to block out noise, it is better you use earmuffs and / or foam earplugs. You do not need to shell out 300 bucks for noise cancelling headphones.