Bose Noise Cancelling

Discussion in 'Support' started by Delmiro, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Delmiro

Delmiro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck issues and/or loud music
      Hi support community,

I recently (1 week ago) developed ringing in both my ears plus sensitivity loud sounds, it was probably caused by neck issues that I have been having for the last 2months plus exposure to loud music using earbuds.

I have some question you regarding Bose noise cancelling system. I wore them for a few mins and felt some relieve and I could barely hear the ringing in ears with them on.

Can the noise canceling technology make things worse for me? Are they safe to use for people with Tinnitus and sound sensitivity?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I can't think of any reason why it would. I use mine fairly regularly and haven't noticed anything wrong so far.

Nothing's 100% safe, unfortunately: it's an impossible question to answer. There is no safe drug. No safe treatment. No safe car, and no safe headphones.
      Headphones are a particularly hot topic around here and you're likely to hear people with very strong feelings about it. I suggest you ask real doctors about it.

3. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      I fly with these Bose headphones and keep them on for hours during flights. Just keep the volume low and you should be fine.

Also, if your T is caused by neck issues then you do not have hearing loss. In your case headphones should not be more of a concern then for anyone else. Fix your neck!

4. krispin
      Woot

krispin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      wayward youth
      I would really like to get the bose quiet comfort 35's, just to get away from environmental noise at the end of the day.

When I try them in the store, my hearing aids beep like they are connecting to the headphones by bluetooth and it seems to me that the tinnitus is significantly dampened and I get a nice quiet reprieve. Problem is, I don't want to drop $$$ to find out they make matters worse or that my experience in Best Buy is not what it seemed.

5. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Many people - including people at this site - have claimed that their noise canceling headphones (NCH) have either caused or increased their tinnitus. I recently saw an audiologist and a neurotologist, both of whom said there is no basis for this conclusion.

I still have residual worries, but I wonder if my NCH or earplugs, which I also used a lot a home for a while, just made my 25 year-old tinnitus seem worse because of the noise reduction/isolation. I now use my NCH or earplugs only when I need to (for reducing unwanted external noise) or want to (for music), trying to keep their use to a minimum. When I have sufficient ambient noise, my tinnitus is either not or barely noticeable.

• Creative Creative x 1
    6. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I use headphones a lot with no problems. Some people are sure they have increased, or spiked their t. The truth is there's no definite right or wrong answer as to weather headphones are safe. It's up to you and your ears!

7. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      They also have a low noise cancelling setting, which doesn’t cause that sense of pressure full nc can.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This illusion ought to end as soon as you take off the headphones.

9. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      What brand/type do you use?

In fact, I'd like to know this from anyone willing to share (i.e., whether they have or have not had issues with NCH and the brand - e.g., Bose - and type - e.g., wireless - of headphones).

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Many of the healthcare professionals that you mention have never experienced tinnitus, especially "noised induced" and therefore, know very little about the condition. It is for this reason they are quick to say: headphones of any type are safe to use for someone with noise induced tinnitus.

Some time ago a person contacted me that had noise induced tinnitus with hyperacusis. Her Audiologist suggested to her, to play music through headphones at low level and this would help treat the tinnitus and hyperacusis. The person was in tears speaking to me on the phone, because of the distress she was in as the headphones made her tinnitus and hyperacusis worse.

Michael

11. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      I'm certainly of the belief that people with hyperacusis should not wear noise cancelling headphones for long periods.

Wearing them to reduce environmental noise is all very well (and can lull the user into a false sense of security) but once the headphones are taken off, environmental noise can sound even louder and excaberate hyperacusis

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Anyone in this forum that has tinnitus, with or with or without hyperacusis, and it was originally caused by "loud noise" If they have read my posts, on the risks of using headphones of any type even at low volume, which can make tinnitus permanently worse. If they still go ahead and use them as some people have, and now regret it. Then they only have themselves to blame, as they were warned.

Michael

13. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No issue with Bose QC15.
      I also use ATH-50s for my drumming. No issue so far either.
      Note: I'm pretty disciplined and diligent wrt volume.

14. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have used different makes from Senheiser to Sony. The main think I make sure is that they are open back headphones. Some people prefer closed back. But I find them to cause fatigue. Open back, and at conversation volume.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well while wearing it you should have some protection to noise I guess.
      I just got these: https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/ek5.html
      Marketed for kids and anyone sensitive to loud sound. They fit well and they have limited volume output even when you put it on full on your computer/ phone. So these have safety's integrated, the Bose ones probably have great sound and potential to blow your ear to bits with 120db .... just in case you would like to do such things.
      I got T after exposure to a insane volume earphones for 3 seconds, so be warned. The software might flip to high volume and if there is no hardware that limits that volume comming out you might be in a bad place.
      I don't even know why you would make earphones with the ability to go past 80db anyway? Is there any possible good reason to do so ever?! Anyway be safe.

16. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      Well, the noise cancelling headphones actually don't cancel the noise but create another noise which matches the sonical curve of the incoming noise so that you actually hear nothing. BUT there is noise versus noise on your ears. This is why you don't hear your Tinnitus with it. And it's why your ears feel pressure with the NCH on. I personally think they are dangerous. You think you're safe but your ears experience "sound" all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The physics idea behind the ANC is that they create soundwaves in opposite phase with the external sound which causes destructive interference, and the soundwaves sum to zero by the principle of superposition. Of course there might be some latency that the waves are not exactly matched enough to create 100% destructive interference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I'm wearing my Bose noise cancelling right now. Love them :)

19. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      What ear pressure? I do not experience ear pressure with my NC headphones.

And I do hear my tinnitus with them. I’d consider myself fortunate if simply wearing NC headphones was enough to drown out the high pitch sound of my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I searched images using the keyword "open back headphones", and I can't figure out what that is.

21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As an Audiophile @Bill Bauer I used to use "high-end open back headphones" a lot . They give the realization of open space, so the sound doesn't seem as if it's in the middle of the head - like "closed back headphones". There is the sensation of a panoramic view of the sound being all around you. It can be very engaging and one can easily become lost in the music.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are these "over the ear" headphones, as opposed to the ones you stick into the ear? Are Bose noise cancelling over the ear headphones considered to be "open back headphones"?

23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      All open back headphones as far as I'm aware fit over the ears. A small amount of sound passes out through the back of the headphones, and this gives the feeling/sensation of openness or panoramic view of the sound. I am not one hundred percent sure, but believe Bose noise cancelling headphones would be "closed backed". I say this because NC headphones reduce ambient outside sounds, so the listener hears the music more clearly. In any event Bill, whether closed, back, open back, in-ear buds or any type of headphones I don't advise anyone with "Noise induced" tinnitus to use them even at low volume. In short, I think a person is taking risks every time they use them of making their tinnitus worse.

Just a few days ago someone in this forum stated that since using his NC headphones, has noticed his tinnitus getting worse even though he's using at low volume. Despite this, this person wants to continue using them. He has no idea what he is dealing with. If tinnitus becomes loud and intrusive and this level of intensity is sustained it can be seriously debilitating and become a person's worst nightmare. I know because I've been there.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    24. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Michael Leigh With first onset of tinnitus and hyperacusis years ago, H disappeared at 1.5 years. It never came back until whiplash T&H last year. What made the difference with first onset of H was that I listened to surrounding pouring rain during the rain season for at least two weeks everyday and evening. I almost lived my on open porch during that time.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Greg Sacramento

I don't quite understand the reason you have addressed your post to me? I have always said that anyone whose tinnitus was caused by "exposure to loud noise" I advise them not to use any type of headphones even at low volume. I notice from your profile that your tinnitus and hypercusis was not caused by noise exposure? If your intention is to use headphones of any description this is your choice. Even if your tinnitus wasn't originally caused by exposure to loud noise, I would still advise not to use them even at low volume but that choice is yours.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      First onset was by ear syringing and it cause some hearing loss and I also received hyperacusis. Second onset last year did not increase hearing loss, but I did get hyperacusis. The rain therapy related to first H was natural, not by use of headphones. I don't ever use headphones to listen to anything.

• Like Like x 3
    27. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I'd guess that most of the ANC headphones are closed back. Letting the sound flow out probably let's the sound flow in more easily too. That would mean less passive isolation for sounds like conversation for example.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    29. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You can get open back headphones that go in your ear but most go over or on.

30. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for the information. I wouldn't use any type of headphones and I advise you not to either.....
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1