Bose Tenor Glasses for Tinnitus Masking

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by decaff, May 11, 2023.

1. decaff
      Worried

decaff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma, Medication, Covid?
      I can no longer listen to headphones, put a hood on my head, or sleep on a pillow, because any obstruction in or around my ear is unbearable.

I just got a pair of Bose Tenor sunglasses (for 99$ refurbished), and as a masking device / for listening to music, they are excellent! Paired with an Apple Watch that has music (or white noise etc.) loaded onto it, they don't even require a phone.

I ordered clear and sunglass lenses in my prescription for them (for $50-70 online). For those of you like me, who can't be in any type of quiet environment, you have the ability to control the sound around you, without anyone knowing that you are. No headphones in your ears, bone conduction headphones around your ears, and you can still hear your surroundings perfectly.

Just thought I'd pass along the idea, because for those who are interested in hearing aids JUST for masking or white noise generators, this is an entirely better solution (cheaper, nothing in your ears) IMO.

And also, they look great. I am an audiophile and consider the sound pretty good for what they are. No deep bass but music is definitely enjoyable.

Keep the hope alive.

• Like Like x 1
    2. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Thanks for the heads up. I'd consider buying these if the lenses weren't sorta big size.

EDIT:

OK, now I see they make 'em w/ smaller lens sizes in their Sports sunglasses. That makes them a lot more attractive, assuming I can get them fitted to my prescription lenses.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      decaff
      Worried

decaff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma, Medication, Covid?
      I don't think you can get prescription lenses for the Sports one, but check it out. The other models you can. The "Alto" are the older models which are "mens/unisex" frames that are smaller - I have seen used ones for around 50-60 dollars and those you can get prescription lenses for; however, from what I've read, they aren't quite as good as the newer models.

And for anyone else, there are other brands of sunglasses with headphones built in that should work in the same way, but I know you can get prescription lenses for the Bose ones.

Obviously this is not a cure, but for the time being, any little bit of comfort helps...