Brain Zaps When Lying Down

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deniseh, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      Sometimes when I lie down in bed it feels as if every little noise gives me a ‘brain zap’ (as I call it).

For instance, the other night I was in bed going to sleep and my daughter (who sleeps in the room next to me) turned her light switch off, it wasn’t terribly loud but I felt what I call a brain zap. It’s a strange feeling inside my head.

It doesn’t happen all the time though!

Anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas what might cause this?

Denise x

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Mcca3470

Mcca3470 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I seem to be suffering with similar brain zaps.

Did these ever go away for you and, if so, was there something specific you noticed that helped?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Typically withdrawing from ADs will have this effect. Other than that, I'm blank!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. buttercake

buttercake Guest

Something similar happens to me. It's like some innocuous little sounds are super amplified. Especially sudden noises, like those random coming from the walls. They even produce a strange reaction in my body, like my whole body is about to react to a danger... you know that feeling. It happens only when I am about to fall asleep.

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. Mcca3470

Mcca3470 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Any updates here? I have the same thing and it's driving me crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Willlly

Willlly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      This has happened to me on occasion. It's linked to my stress and anxiety, which I think sensitises my response to sudden noises. I use the headspace app to keep myself calm and don't worry too much about them, it will pass.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I have this. It's like electric buzz in my head when I go to bed. For me, this only came about with and after EHS (Electromagnetic hypersensitivity).

• Useful Useful x 1
    8. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Anyone here taking SSRIs or Zopiclone? I found the brain zaps to be caused by withdrawing from the Z drugs.

9. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I think I have had them for four nights in a row and it's made it very hard to get to sleep. I also took a small amount of supplements or medications such as Lithium 50 mcg, Lithium Orotate, Neurontin, and some others. I hope my brain didn't get messed up by that stuff. My heart rate is going up and down from 60 to 100 bpm every thirty minutes. It started after exercising and getting a huge adrenaline rush I have been under a lot of stress lately but last night I was feeling more calm and better and still had them along with the fluctuating pulse. Propranolol got rid of the hypnic jerks and let me get to sleep but didn't end the brain zap but at least I got a little bit of sleep. I was calmer this afternoon but noticed I got one too and couldn't take a nap. I think the hypnic jerks are called Myoclonus if anyone's interested looking it up.

I have never had the brain zaps before. Do these go away? I hope I don't have to take some new kind of medication.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I don't think the brain zaps go away. It's been going on with me for a number of years. I don't take any medication except for diabetes and high blood pressure. I do wonder if those zaps are harmful in some way but most of the time I ignore it.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      I had these even before tinnitus, but they were pretty rare and I only experienced them while trying to fall asleep.

12. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I didn't have them last night. I have a theory on what caused it for me. Some of the previous nights I took a medication called Corlanor which lowers heart rate but did not do it last night. Unfortunately, my Apple Watch heart rate program was not running while I was trying to sleep the first few hours but I did wake up and turn on the program and go back to sleep. I was having a very calm dream and just as things got "calmer" which is very rare, I woke right up. I immediately checked my watch and it said my heart rate had gone down to 52. Normally, it doesn't go past 56. My thinking is that my heart rate got too low for my system and then I got an norepinephrine or epinephrine surge to increase my heart rate which woke me up. I think the same thing is going on while drifting to sleep for me. The more calm and sleepy I get, the lower my heart rate gets and it is probably too low to maintain all body organs while sleeping.

This might be what is happening to you if you take a beta blocker for high blood pressure or something that controls your heart rate. If you do, let me know, because it would seem to give more backing to my theory.

13. mcgregor

mcgregor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I get brain zaps just before going to sleep, used to get banging noises also but haven't had these lately, a form of exploding head syndrome I believe

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      Hi, I think it may have been part of my hyperacusis that I suffered at the time from. It is much better now and I rarely have the zaps anymore.

• Informative Informative x 2
    15. wrk2liv

wrk2liv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I experience brain zaps frequently. It is very debilitating and depressing. This tends to be more common after a poor night's sleep. Of course brain zaps cause poor sleep - so this can be a negative spiral. A long evening walk and avoidance of stimulants plus some sleep aids usually reverses this cycle.

16. Bodycount2022
      Ape-like

Bodycount2022 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have had these zaps every few days since I ended Zopiclone after only 1 night and since then the zaps and hyperacusis have been getting worse every day. I don't know if that's a rebound effect. I haven't slept well at all for 3-4 weeks so I never have a normal 6-7 hour sleep and this is a real problem with tinnitus, hyperacusis and the brain zaps.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Does anyone else, maybe new members, experience these 'brain zaps'?

I have them a couple of times a week, always just before sleep or just after waking.

This morning, about 1 minute after waking, I 'felt' an electric zap go from the left hand side of my brain across to the right, and that 'zap' started one of my tinnitus sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      It may be related to more blood in your brain when you lie down? I did a little reading up on this, and it appears that when we lie down, our hearts, which don't know if we're lying down or standing up, end up pumping more blood more quickly because it doesn't have to deal w/ gravity. So more blood ends up flowing to your brain. This gives the brain more sugar and oxygen than it really needs.

Maybe try sleeping with your head elevated a moderate amount. If mine is too elevated I get neck cramps, but there should be a happy medium. Or go whole hog and figure out a way to elevate your whole bed. Some bricks or pieces of wood on one end should do the trick. I know that if I ride my bike a lot or do any sort of exercise my tinnitus goes up due to increased blood flow, and for all I know, more blood pressure. There are studies that say even Alzheimer's can be made worse in the long term from excess fluid in our brains.