Brain Zaps When Lying Down

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deniseh, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      Sometimes when I lie down in bed it feels as if every little noise give me a ‘brain zap’ (as I call it)... For instance the other night I was in bed going to sleep and my daughter (who sleeps in the room next to me) turned her light switch off, wasn’t terribly loud but I felt what I call a brain zap, it’s a strange feeling inside my head.

It doesn’t happen all the time though!

Anyone ever experienced this??

Also I find in the morning (I do tend to sleep quite well with my tinnitus) when I wake up if I lie on my right and make sure my spine/shoulders/neck are straight and slightly stretched then I can reduce my tinnitus or even eliminate it altogether.

Anyone have any ideas :)

Denise x

2. Purva

Purva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vascular loop
      Hi

sorry for the brain zaps. I too get them. It is due to pinched nerve in the scalp sometimes. Try to massage your scalp for 5 minutes a day and it should get better. One question though!! You have vascular loop. I believe it’s not causing you tinnitus. What has doctor asked you to do about vascular loop? Should it be left alone like this or any treatment? If no treatment then will it cause any trouble in future?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      Hi @Purva

There was no emphasis put on my vascular loop as it was not compressing anything even though It was close to the hearing nerve, nothing said about going forward either just that it’s there, tbh the ENT doctor was useless. I did pose this question to Dr Nagler on the Doctor's Corner here on Tinnitus Talk, you may want to check out his answer but long story short, apparently this can be quite common... who knew lol

Your comment about the pinched nerve is interesting as I’ve been thinking over the last few months that this is what’s causing my tinnitus. It has changed sooo much the last few months, most noticeably in bed when depending which way I lie I can eliminate the noise completely. The high pitched tinnitus is intermittent or only heard when in deadly quiet and most of the time I’m left with the hollow wind/drone sound which is very reactive.

When did you first get tinnitus and do you have this vascular loop also?

Denise x

• Like Like x 1
    4. Purva

Purva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vascular loop
      Hi Deniseh

I do not have tinnitus. It was seen on my mri incidentally which was done for some other reason. My concern here is that whether it is of any significance? It’s not compressing my vestibular nerve either.

5. Purva

Purva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vascular loop

6. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I called them spikes, I had them at night. Now I take Tylenol PM which helps a lot.