Burglar Alarm

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sean, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hi every one ,
      My burglar alarm went off next to me ( it was about 7 feet away from my ears ) for about 15 seconds and my T has spiked .
      Has any one had similar experience ?this is so annoying .
      How much can we protect our selves ?
      It was fairly loud and i don't know what is the DB level of that.Please share your experiences.
      Thanks

2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      It should go down. I will never get an alarm system in my house.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Thanks Grace ..siren is too close to my room .i will move it far away for sure .
      My T volume has gone down so much in last few months ..so it's so annoying to get this shit back !!

4. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      100% of mine came from alarm. From what I found , the higher the pitch the less time it takes to do damage.

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      What do u mean ? Plz explain

6. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      1000hz does oscillate 1000 times per second, the higher the pitch the faster it does oscillate so more strain is put on the tiny haircells in the inner ear.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      So 15 seconds would do the damage ?

8. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      why do you think higher frequency causes more strain on the hair cells?

9. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      because the vibration/oscillation of air is going through the entire cochlea.

10. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013

Plus, if it is a hallway or a closed area the sound has nowhere to go and just keeps bouncing off the walls.

11. Luke123497
      Wisdomatic

Luke123497 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      My college recently had a 5 second fire alarm test the other day whilst i'm already in the midst of a T spike.. but luckily for me it didn't cause an increase in the sound it just startled me... A lot haha. Anyways, hope yours gets better soon :)

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      FYI - my T back to base line ..just wanted to post and let you guys know so if any one else has this type of accidents , they should know it does go down .

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Spoke too soon . It's 3:45 AM here ..just woke up and I hear this f#*?%%% Tinnitus .
      Hopefully it goes away .. This shit sucks !!
      Fire Alaram for 15 seconds ..can't be so damaging ..why would it cause spike !

14. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Well it was 15 seconds and they are fucking loud.....

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Karl- just woke up and pretended how long it took me to go next to Alaram and turn the damn thing off ..it was 7 seconds lol !
      4:30 AM and this is what I have to do !lol..

16. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      You always have to take into account the distance you were from the noise and the db level and length of exposure this is how you would determine the likelyhood of hearing damage and to be honest I wouldnt expect any hearing damage to result from this,if this was the case every single police officer would be obtaining hearing damage within 12 seconds of leavin their patrol car with the siren still on meaning the would be nearly deaf within a year which isnt the case.Try to relax and not worry there is absolutely nothing we can do about unexpected noises just the other day my mechanic forgot to put a wiper blade back on my car and when I turned on my wipers there was a realy high pitch screech,needless to say my H is in full swing now but these unexpected noises will happen and sadly there is nothing we can do about it.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Thank you for your kind words of reassurance . I have had similar experiences before and deep down I knkw T will settle down soon .
      It has been very very quite few months so this is just too frustrating .thanks again .

18. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would have probably covered one ear with a hand and the covered the other using the arm/near shoulder which would turn off the alarm.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Karl ..I had covered my bad ear with finger ..but not sure how tightly I had sealed it .

20. I have been robbed several times in last year. I live in a place where burglaries happen very frequently. I didn't want any servants to look over my home because the monthly income wouldn't be enough to pay them. Neither could I go for a guard dog because I am a busy person. At most times, I will be at my work place and I won't be able to take care of them. And finally I installed a home video surveillance system. Though I had to pay at first for its installation, it gives me a complete peace of mind and I am very much satisfied with the alarm. It alerts me whenever someone tries to break-in! Now I feel like I live in a safe and comfort environment. But sorry, we haven't experienced any such issues with our security system.

21. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So ummm where do you live exactly?
      lol