Calming Early Morning Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by LadyDi, Sep 5, 2014.

1. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey all: I am one of those folks who wakes up with super noisy tinnitus every morning. In fact, I just did the math: as of today, I officially have had 462 mornings of tinnitus with my coffee! And I'm doing OK!

Anyway, in talking with my audiologist, we came up with something to try that might help quiet my morning hours. It seems to be helping. So let me share what I am doing with you:

IMMEDIATELY when I get out of bed in the morning, I pull out my Neuromonics sound therapy device and start using it as I go about my morning routine. I actually keep it in my nightstand, so I can literally grab it first thing.

I listen to my device at a very low volume, so I can clearly still hear my tinnitus. I make my coffee, feed the cats, do my reading, make the bed, etc. This all takes about 45 minutes. Then its time to hop in the shower (Yay! More nice natural masking noise!), at which point I take off the Neuromonics. Another 20 minutes and I am out the door to work.

And you know what? My T is much quieter. It makes for a much more enjoyable day overall.

While I am in the Neuromonics program, I think any white noise or masking sounds loaded onto a portable MP3 player, and hooked up to good quality headphones, would work just fine. Notched sound might be preferable but probably not necessary. I am not suggesting you invest a bunch of money to test this, just use what you have.

If you want to try this, hope it helps. Hugs and blessings to all.

STEAMCAT.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. loosse up

loosse up Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      We can not get this device in Canada and my research indicates it is very expense and not available to most of us. Only available in some big American cities.

3. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      What is the possibility of making a "homemade" system?

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @loosse up and @Teri: As I mentioned in my post, I am not suggesting in any way you need Neuromonics to do this. It indeed is very expensive. And I personally don't think it would be worth it to work on morning tinnitus.

But I do think using any white noise/sound therapy might help (I would be curious to hear results if others tried it). There is a masking noise download available right here on Tinnitus Talk. I think you could start off trying it with any MP3/headphone set, and basic masking noise. Just remember to keep the sound low, so you can still hear your tinnitus. Worth a shot.

If you are interested in doing more advanced Do It Yourself sound therapy, with music notched to your frequency, there are several threads discussing this. Here is one:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/diy-sound-therapy-—-need-some-advice.5346/#post-54916

Also, @Steve, who is a manager here, know lots about DIY sound therapy. Maybe he can chime in if others are interested.

• Like Like x 1
    5. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      I own a Neuromonics unit that I've not used for several years. Twice it broke down on me for which I had to pay to the Cleveland shop one hundred dollars each time to repair. After the third breakdown, I decided to set it aside. And they had the nerve to tell me I should opt for the more advanced model for an additional $500 the last time I called them. I'm glad I set it aside because what I use now is far better than that $5200 mistake.

Mike Petroff made recordings that he called the Tinnitus Mitigation System (6 CDs) which I purchased for $80 many years ago. His nature CD is almost the exact sound I hear in my head/ears, so I turn it on any time I awaken during an evening sleep. Sometimes I'll get up twice for various reasons, at which time I will resort to turning my MP3 player on on which I have Mike's recordings. They help to put me back to sleep, and I tell you, what I hear directly after I wake up is louder than at any other time of the day.

The nature recording, I offer for free on my soundcloud account, where I have uploaded the songs we use to book music gigs. Here's my site: http://soundcloud.com/david-brayshaw The cricket-like nature recording is the very first one on the list of files.

David

• Like Like x 1
    6. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @LadyDi
      Thanks for the info. Yes, mine ramps up in the mornings also.
      Just wondered if you can actually hear the broadband signal they embed in the Neuromonics Oasis device?
      I got tested with normal hearing, but cannot hear the signal. They programmed it low.
      So just wondered if you could hear yours. Apparently, that broadband signal, as with other sound therapy devices, activates parts of the basilar membrane in the cochlea to confuse the t.
      Nearly done with my 3 months of Phase I, and I think I have done it wrong. Sigh!

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      @LadyDi I have a large variety of sounds and can create what I don't already have.

If anybody wants to have some sound to follow this just let me know.

Steve

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Hopefully, you will get more out of your unit than I did. I didn't know the newer devices have names. Oasis, I never heard of. It's likely I purchased the very first of their devices. Mine plays a kind of instrumental music similar to a symphony, but not quite all strings; plus, I think it's electronically made, the sound. The repetition really got to me after a while, hearing the same thing over and over again; but then, that's the purpose, isn't it? Eventually the music becomes flesh to you. My unit even looks old and rugged, especially the cover. I carried it with me everywhere I went, even to my job.
      David

• Like Like x 1
    9. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @LadyDi Love the beautiful cat drawing!:cat:

Your idea is excellent! I hope everyone with morning tinnitus tries it. How sleep effects tinnitus is quite interesting. Lack of sleep tends to increase tinnitus. But adequate sleep does not necessarily quiet it. Then individual variations on awakening exist: for some people, like you, sleep cranks it up; other people, like me, sleep resets it to quiet.

BTW, how long have you been on Neuromonics and has it reduced your noise more or your annoyance more? Just curious!

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Pre a trans atlantic flight I took 3 months ago, my t was quieter, if not quiet first thing in the mornings. But, like 2 others with t I know, the air pressure changes somehow changed this pattern, and my t is now louder in the mornings. I also notice my sleep is not as deep as it was - light, with very vivid dreams. Think this light sleep might be traumatizing my t.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi all, thanks for the feedback!

@jazz, glad you liked the cat pic. Isn't it cute, a steam punk kitty. I'm trying to find the artist's name, I just blundered across the drawing. I figured we have so many cat avatars here at TT...

Re. Neuromonics: I know this is off thread topic, and I promise I will post more on it later. My one-year Neuromonics program is done in December, and I plan to post on the Neuromonics thread then. But to quickly answer your specific questions now:

@Lisa88: I never heard the embedded signal. I don't think you are supposed to. Like you, I have the Oasis and also like you, I tested with normal hearing. But I have very high frequency loss, at around 15,000 hz I think, that was found when a more extensive test was done. My loss is slight in one ear, moderate in the other. And certainly don't give up: For starters, I am sure you followed the instructions and there is no "right" or "wrong." Also, most people don't notice much of anything in the first three months. Three months was about when I noticed a change... and my audiologist said I progressed more rapidly than most people, for whatever reason. Your audiologist may hold you in Phase I if she/he doesn't think you are ready for Phase II, but don't worry about that! It doesn't mean anything is wrong. These things happen at their own speed but as long as you are using your device as directed, you are doing fine. :huganimation:
      Do be realistic about how much improvement you ultimately will receive, though. I guess I thought I would no longer hear my tinnitus at all, although this was my wishful thinking. My audiologist never promised me this would happen. But after nine months on Neuromonics, my tinnitus reaction/annoyance is much, much less.

@jazz: So did the program help me? As I said above, my tinnitus reaction is greatly reduced. The audiology tests show my pitch has dropped (although it still is high) and my loudness perception greatly reduced. I will have a final test at my last appointment in late November, early December and do a complete post then. But I will say: I remain uncertain if any reduction is due to the Neuromonics, or the passage of time. I also did CBT (which I now need no longer) on my own. The counseling piece of Neuromonics is not as extensive as I thought it would be -- and I had a provider who did a lot of counseling, as compared to other Neuromonics users I have heard from. A good and qualified provider is critical, I think.

@UserID: I loved this comment: Eventually the music becomes flesh to you. That's exactly how it feels. At first, I thought it would drive me crazy, listening to the same four hours of tunes over and over (mine are a mix of light classical and some new age stuff) . But it really does just become part of you. Sounds like you did have an early model but I have a feeling these devices still aren't built to last. I do find listening to it helps me. But when mine breaks, I think I am going to seek @Steve's help and build some tracks that include high-frequency pitches. One good thing about today's Neuromonics' devices is they come with quality Bose ear buds, so I can get good quality sound out of a regular MP3 player.

• Like Like x 3
    12. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi LD, I have a hearing aid/masker, it makes white noise and pink. I only use it when T is really bothering me. I will try it tomorrow morning and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip...

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Cool, let me know, @gary. My guess is you will need to do it for a few weeks to make a difference. I did. Also if your T is loud in the morning... what seemed to improve things was that I did it as soon as possible on waking. But this all may be just re my brain.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @LadyDi
      Thanks so much. That is very helpful. I will keep on :)
      Regarding the hearing loss measured at 15khz. I don't think any of us over 20 can hear tones that high. Or under 20 for that matter. Maybe dogs :)
      Thank you for all your words of wisdom. Your journey has been an inspiration to me. So glad that your volume perception has lowered. Very encouraging!
      Hugs!
      Lisa

16. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      @Lisa88 I am 39 and just before t happened I was able to hear up to 18400hz. Even now I can distinguish music below and above 16000hz. My t seems to be somewhere that high.

17. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @bwspot
      Gosh ... might be wrong on this, but that is extraordinary hearing for your age. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      I tested my hearing last week on frequencies between 20hz and 20khz and I could hear up to 15khz. Maybe more but I was so afraid of damaging my ears that my speakers were at a very low volume... After I was done, it felt like my ears had done a work out.

But I did also realized that below 400hz, I could not hear anything...??!

@jazz sleep resets your T? Me too...it's weird... I wonder what you and me have in common that makes our T behave like that... My T was due to ototoxic meds...

• Like Like x 1
    19. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      haha, extraordinary with T now.
      Fact is that i was reading a lot about audio and most of the people participating in conversations were limited to 13000hz. For me it was like missing everything. I am high tones lover and therefore i paid with T.