Campaign for Tinnitus Research and Treatment Bill

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by lvts, Mar 1, 2017.

1. lvts
      Dreaming

lvts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2015
      I found a bill (H.R.1443 - Tinnitus Research and Treatment Act of 2013 ) introduced in 2013-2014 US congress that tried coordinate tinnitus research between VA and DOD.

Seems like not much happened after it was introduced in the house. I am guessing the folks here (@Markku) have tried getting a bill introduced in the US congress with the help of any supporting institutions.

If not, I hope that we can form a team to coordinate and take help of a lobby firm such as Patton Boggs and/or other organizations to get a bill passed for increased research on tinnitus.

Please let me know your thoughts!!!

2. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      How can we help?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lvts
      Dreaming

lvts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2015
      First, before we approach the lawmakers, we need current data such as disability numbers and payments in regular population and vets. I have requested this from social security administration but have not heard back. I am going to file a freedom of information request with the VA shortly. If any of you have this information, please share it.

Secondly, the representatives respond very well if the requests come from people in their constituencies. As such, we need to form state chapters to coordinate and push this information to the lawmakers.

Thirdly, lobbying firms charge lot of money. So it is better to coordinate with ATA as they might have the resources and experience.

Fourth, we need to involve more groups such as musicians and military organizations who can help us with awareness and support.

Please add any missing points and take lead on any of these efforts.

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lvts
      Dreaming

lvts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2015
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Per https://www.ata.org/news/press-rele...innitus-part-our-national-commitment-veterans :

With tinnitus claims growing at an annual rate of 15%, the total cost for service-related disability compensation alone is expected to exceed $3 billion by 2017.
      If only a fraction of that money was invested in research...

6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lvts
      Dreaming

lvts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2015
      Yes, as of now they seem to be paying 20 billion per year for these people. The total cost is 60 billion for all vets with different conditions per year.(avg is 2-3 disabilities, I think).