Camping, Tents, Wind and Flapping

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amelia, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Anyone seen a more random title? ;)

Want to hear from all you outdoorsy types - how does camping/staying in tents effect your T - especially if it's windy weather.

We have just brought a camper trailer (well, it's a little more upscale, but essentially still a tent over the sleeping areas)
      http://www.jayco.com.au/range/camper-trailers/

And when it arrives we are taking off for 3 weeks, but I'm already panicking about the noise if it's windy. Sleep sometimes seems to help "reset" my T if it's noisy, and I'm worried that If it's more noisy that I'm use to during these 3 weeks it will exacerbate my T or make it worse all together :(

My husband thinks I'm crazy and keeps telling me that I'll like the little extra noise as a form of masking ...

Any thoughts?

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Perhaps a little :)

(Or at least a little too worried...)

I think he is right.

3. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I understand your fear, but the wind is a natural noise and not loud by any means - at least not loud enough to damage your ears. I would be very surprised if your T suffered because if it. Just let go and enjoy the trip - rather you then me, I hate camping ;)

4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @Amelia: Of course, everyone is different. But I am a big camper (tent camping, sleeping on the ground stuff) and I find a night breeze indeed acts as a natural masker. I wish I could sleep outside every night! In fact, my masking app on my phone is a mix of wind and running water (like a babbling brook).

Have fun in your new camper!

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      @attheedgeofscience - your post gave me a big smile :) hubby won't be at all surprised that you agree with him!

• Like Like x 1
    6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Go and enjoy your life. Immerse and get involved in all the planning and activities. When you are engaged into something interesting, the brain will not zoom in on T. Like citigirl says, wind is not something which will damage your hearing. It is a soothing natural sound. So don't get stressed out by it. On my last Hawaii trip, I jogged most mornings at the beach with the ocean breeze plus crashing waves all around me. I tried absorb in the beauty around and not worry about what the wind will do to my T. Totally enjoy that experience. I will beat T with positivity. Try not let T dictate what we do. Try to enjoy life regardless of T. That will be a more winning strategy against T than tip-toeing around it. Enjoy your camping and the beauty of nature, and in the process win your freedom back from the bully T.

7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Your title made me lmao! But as of your concerns about the windy flappy weather i think youl find it more relaxing then anything.. The sound of the wind is beautiful and love when it smacks me in the face lol! It may even really help mask your T..And camping shouldnt be loud at all! Sounds like a blast! I love to be outside as much as possible..and never effects me. Just watch out for those big bears if your goin somewhere real woodsy. :)