Can a Blocked Eustachian Tube Lead to Ear Infection?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Suzerman, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      Hello everyone, my eustachian tubes crackles, and my ears won't pop, and I think it's due to my TMD, because the muscles are probably pressing my eustachian tube shut.

I would like to know though if despite this being probably TMJ related (and they also couldn't see fluid in my ears every time I went to see the doctor), whether it could still cause ear infections to occur. I am getting a bit worried because I have a terrible cold right now and hoping phlegm doesn't get into my ears somehow because of it.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If you have a cold and nose full of mucous it can get into your eustation tubes and can lead to a secondary infection in your ears.
      Steam inhalation and taking Sudafed can help clear your tubes.
      Love glynis

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
    4. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Yes, a messed up Eustachian tube can help facilitate infection. If fluid gets stuck in there for an extended period of time, then bacteria can hang out in there and grow. This is why young children who get frequent ear infections have tubes put in — it is often because of the Eustachian tubes not functioning properly, but this normally resolves itself as they grow bigger. (They do this for adults too, for people who have long-term ET problems...)

You can't observe fluid in the Eustachian tube at a normal doctor visit, it is in the middle ear which is blocked by your ear drum.

There are some techniques to open the tubes and drain out the gunk (suggested by others above). I found Sudafed to be helpful — the "real" kind, not Sudafed PE.

If you're worried about it, you could have an audiologist or ENT perform a tympanometry. It's a quick test and a "not normal" result is a possible sign of fluid in the middle ear.