Can a Chicken Cure Hearing Loss and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Research News' started by SteveToHeal, Feb 5, 2014.

1. NikoD
      English

NikoD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Well yes. Scientists / Researchers are focusing their efforts to supporting cells inside the Cochlear. OHC (Outer Hair Cells) support the Inner hair cells needed for hearing.

And amazingly they've shown us Mammals can regenerate Hair cells, Read this publication (Feb 2014):

http://www.cell.com/action/showImagesData?pii=S2213-6711(14)00025-3

We've known this for some years but only recently we've seen more and more people using drug delivery methods or gene-therapy to get this done. The other question is how well formed the new cells will be and how long they last. But the biggest achievement would be to first regenerate them.

I believe its a common symptom but doesn't effect everyone with T. I imagine it depends when the T originates from. Could be the Middle or Inner ear or even Ear wax.

2. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi,
      from what I learned so far is, that until these days, researchers haven't been very sucessful regenerating hair cells in the adult cochlea. It seems, that it's much more respond in a young or embrionic inner ear. Later, the ability of regeneration
      is being lost. (which the available procedures). So they are still working on this.
      But not all is published, since some research is going to the pharma, if they have some new findings, they won't publish it anymore.
      So the trial with Genvec/Novartis is such a thing. This "therapy" couldn't be reproduced in any lab with the published data from 2005.
      But Novartis Bioscience licensed an might have developed this technique further but kept all secret (maybe)
      Otherwise I would be very crazy to annouce a clinical trial if they would have aboslutely no clue what's going on.

3. NikoD
      English

NikoD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Yes. The research shows greater success in regenerating IHC in young mice I believe. However I think there are now some variations in the methods used to cause regrowth of IHC. One of which if I recall correctly was the inhibition of the Notch signalling path way (I don't claim to have the slightest idea what method entails).

Pharma is interested as long as there is money to be made and ROI is viable. Hearing related problems and diseases is big industry. Look to any ventures in implants or hearing amplification and you'll see healthy profits.

4. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      These questions just came to my mind last night. Maybe someone has already asked them and maybe the answers already exist.

All this concerns what is called the "animal model" but which concerns two very different kinds of animals: mice and chickens.

On the one hand, we know how to generate in the mice a loss of hearing and tinnitus, and we know by their behavior which mice keep their tinnitus.

On the other hand, we know that chickens can regenerate their hearing cells.

Questions: suppose that we cause in chickens a loss of hearing:

- How do we know from their behavior, whether they have really lost hearing and especially if they have developed tinnitus?

- How do we know from their behavior which ones resorbed their tinnitus, and which ones kept their tinnitus?

- Have we subsequently had the experience of dissecting the chickens who have kept the tinnitus to see if they have regenerated their hearing cells?

If we realize that these chickens have regenerated their hearing cells (despite of keeping their tinnitus), that would questions the theory that if we regenerate the cells of hearing, we resorb tinnitus.

5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      It's been about 4 and a half years since this post and they are testing this technology in humans.

• Like Like x 1
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Well they are testing this technology in humans right now, so maybe we could just ask them or the researchers conducting the research. Seems a little easier to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Felix Dujardin

Felix Dujardin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown : Noise - Infection - Karma ?
      Eat some KFC each week and you should get your hearing back

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
    8. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor