Can a Chicken Cure Hearing Loss and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Research News' started by SteveToHeal, Feb 5, 2014.

1. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Thats really awsome!!! This whole ten year thing seems to be ten years ever year.. So i dont think its right for them to say ten years.. They should really just say its POSSIBLE in years ahead or something. Plus what if restoring hair cells doesnt cure tinnitus? Theres really no way to know.. And my other question is if they do this for chickens and it cures there T then it should be able to cure humans too right?

3. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I dont think it cures chickens:) The point is that birds can regenerate their haircells unlike mammals so they are trying to find how that mechanism works in birds and whether it can be applied to mammals or not.

4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      They said they launched the hair cell restoration project in 2011 which means we have 7 years to go?

5. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Ohhh so there trying to regenerate hairs in chickens.. And then they will most likely be able tell if it cures a chickens t?

6. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      From what I understand, they are not trying to regenerate them in chickens as well. Birds (including chickens) can naturally regenerate hair cells, eg. they may lose some but they grow back. Mammals (including humans) cant do that. So they are trying to find out how the bodies (more specifically, ears) work in chickens, eg. how the cells are naturally regenerated. Then they are gonna find out if and how that could be applied to humans.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Ohhh!!!! I feel stupid! A chicken is a bird duh! Deff thought it was a mammal lol but okay totally understand now!! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      read the website boys and girls :)

• Like Like x 1
    9. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      If they discovered birds could do this in 1987 why are we only hearing about it now?
      Maybe hearing aid companies stopped research.;)

10. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Considering in mice and gerbils they have restored some hearing it's a big progress. I think if they can figure out the mechanisms within 10-20 years than maybe a significant hearing treatment if not cure will happen within 40.

Of course, the Stanford Initiative to Cure Hearing Loss is working on it too and along with other researchers.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      40 years?!!!!!!!! Lol god i hope sooner then that! Ill be 63!

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      IF only all the ressources in the world dedicated to tinnitus could be shared among every researchers...

i'm sure if all of them was free to share their information, discovery, ask for help, brainstorm etc, solutions would come faster.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yep. Except most places are in it for the $$ :troll: Sharing of info would mean splitting the profits and the TM. Sorry - me just being jaded. Maybe there are ppl/companies/orgs out there that genuinely want to find a cure to help people.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I agree with you and suppose its a little bit of both:) Normally it tends to be the idealistic people working under evil companies:D But probably it is the smaller companies that are more likely to come up with smth. However, I agree with NeoM that it will take maybe 10-20 years to find out how to regenerate the cells + trials + training doctors which means around 30-40 years.

15. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Okay so if its gonna take them 40 years to do that.. Im gonna say ten for an actual drug to at least 100 % prevent it from Gettin louder or make it quieter?

16. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      yes I think it is wise not to make too many assumption with numbers and years when we really don`t know what is going on, keep faith and keep the info as close as possible to the ones you find in articles or websites ... that way we don`t get disillusioned and we all might learn a few thing here or there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      When I say 40 years, I'm talking about curing hearing loss. It's very possible with tinnitus it could be sooner.

Regardless, I still donate.

A lot of the research is done by non-profits.

18. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah true... Hearing loss i could see it taking that long..lets hope not.. But something in 10 to 15 years should be at least helpful in eliminating T....

19. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      There's been a huge increase in research in tinnitus recently.

However, if we were to assume the Hearing Health Foundations outline is accurate, than it's about 23 years maximum. As for Stanford, I don't know, but I would assume it would be a similar time frame. But to be honest, I think within the next 20 years there will be definitely something to help improve hearing and I don't mean improved hearing aids.

20. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      isnt it possible to improve hearing already nowadays by lasic?? I read that attheedge of science tried it and it worked:)

21. kenji

kenji Member

Tinnitus Since:
      the cure will be in the next 5 years ...techno is moving faster than ever , my bet is in a pill and will lessen T to a quiet buzz ...enough to not notice it ...kaching

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    22. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Ive read that before also!

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. kenji

kenji Member

Tinnitus Since:
      hearing aids is like old news ...i think were moving towards mp3 players now ...

24. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Tom KW
      Fine

Tom KW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      it certainly would be nice if they could cure hearing loss, however, I personally don't care much about that for myself, I'm willing to except some hearing loss as I grow older, it's the noise in my head I'd like to be gone. I have absolutely zero medical training but, I read somewhere that during an MRI they can see the point in our brains that is experiencing the T, I guess it lights up or something like that, if this is the case, why can't a Nero surgeon go into our brains with a tiny fiber-optic laser and zap that little spot that's lighting up, sounds pretty simple doesn't it? only if that were the case, insurance companies don't want that to become the norm for curing T, that would be too expensive. and I'm sure their influence carries a lot of weight.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    26. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
    27. NikoD
      English

NikoD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I've been reading "In 10 Years" often for many projects. The goal for some of these initiatives is to set-up some short to long term funding, I don't want to question the intentions for some of these initiatives but its hard not to.

Recently it looks like drug companies and perhaps other institutions (Harvard & Stanford & Others) have more sincere efforts and are pushing forward with this research. I've only noticed this shift in the last 1 or so years.

The Holy Grail (regeneration of hearing cells) would the best treatment for SSNHL. It may also yield results for Tinnitus suffers but as we know the cause of Tinnitus can vary and is not always due to damaged Coclear cells.

e.g. In my case I have Otosclerosis and my T worsens if I clench my jaw.

This research have relevance to all of us as we'll all eventually experience SSNHL in our life times.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Is that a common symptom of T? When i clench my jaw, my T also gets worse?

29. cmurem

cmurem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2012
      ten years later.. probably after 3 years they will continue to say "ten years later".

30. cmurem

cmurem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/05/2012
      Making humans cochlea mimicking a chickens cochlea to regenerate, could be breakthrough in medical science, which we can only dream..