Can Airplane Pressure from Taking Off/Landing Cause Issues?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joshua12345, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      My tinnitus is from a toxicity issue, so it comes and goes depending on my situation. Not noise induced. One ear. But that ear also feels full at times, and clicks a lot.

Can the pressure from taking off/departing cause issues? Will wearing EarPlanes be enough? Or anything else I need to do?

Thanks!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes, issues can occur but most likely, due to you worrying about your tinnitus and whether it will be affected during take-off. Try to relax and divert your attention to other things and this will help lower any anxiety. I don't think earplugs are necessary. Stress increases tinnitus and tinnitus increases stress. It can become a vicious circle if one isn't careful. The best place decibel monitors is on the website that host them. Downloading to your phone only reinforces negative thinking that you have a problem. I rarely use earplugs but if you must, use them with prudence and not make them the first thing to reach for unless it's really necessary. Again, overuse of earplugs reinforces negative thinking and can lower the loudness threshold of the auditory system if not careful, making the ears more sensitive to sound.

Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I'm not too concerned about stress, more just want to make sure nothing physical from the pressure. Since my ear clicks a lot, makes me feel maybe the Eustachian tube could have an issue? And taking off/landing usually affects the eustachian tube, no?

As long as I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to, I generally don't stress about it. My stress is if I feel like I should be doing something more but I'm not.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am unable to advise on Eustachian tube, it's best another member helps you on this or talk to your doctor.

I wish you well.
      Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Ok no worries, appreciate the insight anyways. Would noise canceling BOSE headphones be a good idea? I've seen mixed opinions on that in the forum.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you are asking my advice and I assume that you are. Then I advise you to keep as far away as possible from any type of headphones. Even if you are going to use Noise cancelling headphones to keep out sound and not play audio through them. My advice is the same, don't use any type of headphones because you will be tempted to play audio through them. Perhaps not today or tomorrow but one day you will and that could be the start of more problems on top of what you already have.

If you are concerned about your Eustachian tube and flying, I think it's best you talk to your GP or better, your ENT doctor, as this is their area of expertise.

Michael

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Tips for flying: earplugs on the terminal. Before you are going to board: earplugs and earmuffs. When the plane is taxiing: earplugs (and earmuffs depending on sensitivity). Take off: ideally only earmuffs, but if it is very loud, earplugs and earmuffs until the plane does the initial climb. After initial climb: remove earplugs and use earmuffs for the rest of the flight.

Important: do not use earplugs when the plane descends.

When leaving the plane: earplugs and earmuffs. The engines may still be on when you leave the plane.

Good luck!

8. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Cabin pressure has never been an issue for me. Cabin noise is another thing. Used EarPlanes in the past. Had no effect one way or another.

9. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @Juan

Why earplugs for the ascent, but no earplugs for the decent.

Would you not be better off with earplanes that are designed to equalize the pressure as the altitude changes? Curious as I have not flown since I got this T so severe.

10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      When the plane climbs you can feel pressure building up more gradually, and if it is not ok you can just remove the earplugs; actually my advice is to remove earplugs before the plane reaches cruise level, but after the engines stop the roaring of the initial climb.

The climb is usually more progressive and the descent goes faster. It is easier for the pilot to set a higher rate of descent than a higher rate of climb (plane too heavy to climb). So for instance if you are flying Ryanair it is very likely that the pilot is going to maintain cruise level longer and then descent very fast at a high rate, and that's pretty bad for ears really.. harder to compensate the sudden altitude change.

Also in terms of noise which company you fly, where you sit and which aircraft you are flying make a big difference in terms of noise. It depends also on how a particular pilot flies that plane.

11. Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      I just flew to Paris and back home a few days ago (NYC). Going there, I didn’t really have an issue, but coming home the pressure in my ears started to bother me. The ringing wasn’t terrible because it was masked my the sound of the engine which was a really relaxing for me. I wore ear planes, but I feel like they didn’t do much for me.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Why no earplugs for descent? I thought descent is the most important part to wear EarPlanes, to equalize the pressure?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Did the pressure get better after the flight? Or did it last for a few days?

14. Andy9214

Andy9214 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing test
      My ears feel full most of the time, so I was freaked out about the entire trip.
      ive has pressure in my ears the past few months really hoping it heals itself soon, but after getting off the flight it was a little worse and got a bit better by the next morning

15. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello Joshua !

I took several times planes for long trips and all you need to do is to buy some airplane earplugs (for pressure during taking off and landing) and to have ear muffs in case the plane is loud during the flight...

With that you will be fine ! :)

16. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      Hi Joshua,

Ive also heard taking an antihistamine b4 the flight loosens the Eustachian tubes so the mucus is thinner and flows better thus no blockage. Don’t know how effective this is but could be worth a try. Let me know how you get on cause I’m flying in February and am feeling nervous, I’ve only had tinnitus since late July and also suffer from ear fullness and popping tubes as well

Best of luck

Dense x