Can Anyone Relate? Not Being Able to Hear Out of the Ear That Has Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by terrihastinnitus, Jan 29, 2014.

1. terrihastinnitus
      Cheerful

terrihastinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      i know i posted on the "introduce yourself" forum and told some of my story. but i wanted to reach out and try and find anyone else who may be going some of the same things as i am at this time.

23 months ago, i went to answer the phone and held the phone up to my left ear. my grandmother was on the other line, and it sounded as though she had sucked in a bunch of helium. i noticed ringing in my ears, but i also know that T comes and goes for everyone, from time to time. i have had tinnitus for almost two years, NON STOP, since that day.

i've not gone to a doctor about this. i am scared of what they may tell me. i know that, to some, that sounds crazy. but with tinnitus also came panic attacks and HA [health anxiety], which means i am scared of ANYTHING medical.

my T is constant. it never stops. it never gets better, but i do live with it. it is only in my left ear. when i plug my right ear, i cannot hear what anyone i saying - not even a little bit, unless they move very close to me.

i am wondering if this is normal. not being able to hear out of the ear that has the T

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Terri,

First, so sorry you are suffering! It sucks!! Hearing loss in in the ear or ears that have T is quite common, and varies greatly in severity. I understand your anxiety about going to the doctors, I deal with that a bit myself! Early on a had a panic attack at the ENT's office and had to cut it short and get outside to get some fresh air. So I get it!!!

BUT....... I really think you shoud see an ENT and/or Audiologist to see if your hearing loss can be mitigated!! T is bad enough without the addition of hearing loss!! Let them know ahead of time about your severe anxiety (they may prescribe something for you to take before the appointment to calm you). Take someone with you for support. You CAN do it, and there is a chance that they can help!!! (y)

Best to you!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    3. MartyE
      Cheerful

MartyE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month ago
      Terri,

I'm new here and no expert, BUT......:)

It sounds to me that you could have significant hearing loss in that ear, which could be caused by many things, almost non of them life threatening.
      I have an anxiety disorder that preceded the T, but I can tell you that anxiety can make it MUCH worse. T is a symptom, NOT a disease.
      I'd screw up my courage and go see a doctor....the only thing you have to lose is possibly the T!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      terrihastinnitus
      Cheerful

terrihastinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      doesn't sound like anyone has lost the T

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Terri, I totally agree with Jeff M & MartyE, they gave you great advice. I am also all to familiar with panic attacks. Regarding your post, there are some people that I don't see here anymore over the last 1 1/2 years. Some of these people may very well have had their T go away, and saw no reason to come back here, or did not want to come back here out of fear and be reminded of T:huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I have seen posts on the web where people have said the T had gone after a year, sometimes even after two years or longer. Don't give up hope!

Also, I know it's awful going to see doctors, but I would really advise going. If nothing else they can give you something like a hearing aid which will be able to make you hear again. As MartyE has said, T is a symptom for something. If you find put the cause you may be able to treat it

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      terrihastinnitus
      Cheerful

terrihastinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      i am praying it does go away! 2 years is long enough, hehe. but like i said, i have gotten used to it. just the hearing loss that has been associated with it? that is what bothers me.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Yes it is true that many patients have hearing loss (being measured up to 8000 hz with an audiometrical loss). But you know, there are many people who do not have hearing loss and have tinnitus and then again there are many people who have hearing loss and do not have tinnitus. So... not much information there.
      I also was afraid of going to the doctor because for years I listened to a lot of loud music. However I have no hearing loss up to 8000 hz.A normal adult can hear up to 16000 hz but the reality is that you mainly use the frequencies up to 8000 hz. So anything above it is not really relevant for your everyday life. The treatments that are about to come focus on the brain anyway so right now it doesnt really matter anyway. If otherwise you hear normally and dont complain about hearing loss then no need to be scared.