Can Balloon Popping Cause Hearing Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by missingsilence, Mar 22, 2019.

1. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      Oh boy, I’ll cut right to the chase.

I was walking on the street when around 5 to 10 meters behind me a couple kids started popping McDonalds balloons. In total it was 7 or 8 pops.

My hands were full so I started walking faster. I had some silicon earplugs in at the time, Alpine party plugs (SNR19).

I’ve seen that balloons can be over 160dB at their loudest.

Could this cause hearing damage? I know it sounds ridiculous but balloons are no joke when it comes to volume.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael B
      Supportive

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds
      I'm no expert but the fact that you were outdoors and wearing earplugs tells me you're probably OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Balloons are especially dangerous when they pop in closed spaces right by the ear (e.g., a car).

Since you were 5 meters away, you were outside, and you had earplugs in, the likelihood that you will get a permanent T spike as a result of this exposure seems to be low.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It doesn't. I remember reading about at least three people who got permanent spikes after being exposed to popping balloons. But their circumstances were different from your circumstances (e.g., one was in a car when it happened).

5. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      At 30 feet away, even without ear plugs I wouldn't have thought so.

6. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      At that distance, outside, I really doubt would be any issue even without ear protection. Anything permanent would be very unlikely, but that's my opinion of course.

160dB is a bit excessive. Definitely not for a standard balloon. That would cause instant pain. I've had a balloon pop in the very back of my car whilst I was driving (wasn't aware it was in the car) and it did not cause pain. I wasn't wearing ear pro and had hyperacusis too. It was a really sh*t experience, but didn't lead to permanent T worsening. It did however contribute to further middle ear sensitivities, such as cramping tensor tympani, that became a chronic recurrence for a long time. But I had other noise incidences that contributed too that though i.e. just that morning I had been tested for LDLs by a clueless audiologist. I took the usual antioxidants and other supplements to negate, as much as possible, any oxidative stress. I think also I may have possibly taken prednisolone, or maybe it was for another incident around that time. I could only get 50mg max total, so very little anyway.

I do hate balloons now, except for water balloons.

7. OnceUponaTime
      Busy

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You should be fine.

8. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock N Roll
      A balloon popped about 15 feet away from me today - my ears feel different but there's been no percept change in my tinnitus. It's still as low as it was when I woke up. Within an hour I took 1200mg NAC. Would I typically know right away if there was damage?

Fcukin tinnitus...