Can Blocked Eustachian Tubes Cause Mild Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheStarsAbove, Feb 7, 2018.

1. TheStarsAbove

TheStarsAbove Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The ear blocked feeling I've had for 4 months or so almost entirely went away for a few hours again.
      It seems a warm wet cloth in my ear did the trick or at least got it away for me to notice something.
      I didn't try my earbud which is was caused me to notice a difference in hearing before.
      I did go to multiple stores and heard the car radio.

The horrible sound sensitivity was gone and my hearing in both ears appeared to be much more even.
      The Tinnitus stayed but it fluctuates.

It should be noted that the blocked feeling didn't go away completely but about 90%.

I'm curious if blocked Eustachian Tubes can cause things to sound louder?

It was most noticeable from cars driving by,music,high pitched noises and voices.
      It's come back a bit but it was such a nice feeling for this to be relieved.

My Tinnitus has lowered in volume as well.

I was told on another forum that it could be sudden change in hearing and I'm panicking and wondering if I should go to the emergency?

That happened 2 days ago and my ear block feeling is back a liitle and some sound sensitivity.

2. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi .......I often wonder if a blocked Eustachion tube is a big red herring with so many of us thinking if only we could unblock it then all will be well especially the pressure so we try everything and nothing really helps from neti pots to steroid sprays etc

I now realise that mostly that ear pressure feeling is part and parcel of Tinnitus and hearing issues.
      Bearing in mind I have high freq hearing loss but can hear ok without hearing aids. putting them in quietens the T and the ear pressure goes away take them out and the ear pressure builds as does the T Just my 2p good luck

3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      They can make your voice sound louder to you when you talk. Also certain sounds may be perceived louder and others attenuated.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      Bro I have a the same symptoms and also have ETD. I recently gor noise sensitivity and I’m afraid it’ll stay. Although I wasn’t exposed to any loud sounds. Are you still sensitive to sound or have you got better? @TheStarsAbove

5. fish_bowl_head

fish_bowl_head Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had ETD in my right ears for decades, and it does strange things both with and without colds/infections. When it misbehaves, it can cause dizziness, more sensitivity to sounds, sometimes you can hear your own voice, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. prydain12345
      Benevolent

prydain12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/29/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus/Ear infection
      I think I also have ETD/tinnitus from a sinus/ear infection, and I think it has caused me to be more sensitive to some sounds.

7. Ganesh

Ganesh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pepto bismol 8 per day
      Got T since few weeks and I have got Eustachian infection. That is what I am guessing while I am still waiting for ENT office to call me :(

The hearing test was ok, but he said I have got some pressure in both sides..

I too am noticing sensitivity for sounds.. the music system which was Normal for my ear earlier feels like lot loud to me..

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Sarah378e

Sarah378e Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Etd
      Hi everyone
      Maybe I can give some relief to most of you
      I've had ETD twice before after getting sick twice (cold)
      Tinnitus for me was more of crickets at start and later on came with sound sensitivity which went away within a week and I was all better all symptoms were gone
      About a week or two later I got sick again and the sounds came back and my ears felt like they had fluid because everytime I yawned I felt my ears crackle and had excess mucus in my throat
      I also developed sound sensitivity again which thank God went away
      Now I'm left with slight sounds and still a slight crackle everytime i yawn and ofcourse still with mucus in my throat
      I can say yes ETD causes hearing sensitivity as many others have suffered the same symptoms

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Margaretz

Margaretz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 years now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello I had it last year it lasted for 2 months I am going on 3 this year an its gotten worse I been in and out of the doctors ENT"s take way to long they keep saying the same thing ETD, they don't know my ears hurt bad when they get that bad feeling it feels my hearing lessens so I am scared I am losing my hearing music sound distorted and I can't understand what they are singing but with movies or people talking I can understand..I am at my wits end :(