Can MEM (Middle Ear Myoclonus) Cause Spasms of the Outer Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by 3mmalee, Jul 26, 2022.

1. 3mmalee

3mmalee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Ringing tinnitus 2016, MEM in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      A few months ago I developed MEM, though I’m not sure which muscle is the problem. But I have a pretty much constant flutter inside my ears that get worse after burping and I also wake up from it at night a lot. Sometimes it’s more of a ”thump” kind of sound. It’s escalated the past 2 weeks.

Thing is, before I got MEM, I believe it was in February 2022 - I started experiencing muscle spasms in my outer ear. Extremely fast and intense spasms, not visible, but certainly felt and can also be felt to the touch. 2 days ago this started in my other ear as well, and I’m freaking out a little. No doctor has ever been able to explain why this happens to me.

So I’m asking you guys: Could this be related to MEM? Anyone else having similar experiences?

I never thought MEM could affect the outer ears but I’m starting to find it a little weird that I would have so many different kind of spasms related to my ears...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Hello @3mmalee, like you, I suffer from different spasms in my ears. It started in one ear and moved to the other. I also suffer from eye twitches and I feel twitches behind my nose (if that makes sense) and outside my ears too. It’s super aggravating. I’m sorry you have to go thru this too.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3mmalee

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m so sorry you have those type of spasms too! Are you diagnosed with MEM and has a doctor ever said anything about it being able to cause these ”outer” spasms? Or any other explanation?

My doctor says it’s impossible for MEM to cause the outer ear to twitch but I just find it so hard to believe.

4. MaxRabbit

MaxRabbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zoloft, NOISE, Anxiety, EARBUDS.
      For spasms in the ear, can you get Botox injected in your country? I read a few articles on this. The injection is right into your ear and some people reported instant relief.

It's only temporary and needs to be repeated after 3-4 months.

Wondering if that may an option as it sounds like that could help you!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3mmalee

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have no idea, if i understood it correctly it has to be done by a neurologist and the ones I've spoken to so far haven't been very helpful. I will keep looking into that tho, thank you!

6. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @3mmalee, I take muscle relaxers for my spasms in my outer ear, it seems to work. Maybe you can find a doctor that can prescribe you some or even Magnesium is good for muscle spasms.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      3mmalee

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do they help? Which ones are you taking? Sorry if you already told me, I haven’t slept in weeks so my brain isn’t exactly working as it should...

8. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @3mmalee, I take Baclofen. It’s hard to tell if it helps with my MEM or not since it comes and goes but it does help with my muscle spasms outside of my ear.

What has your doctor told you?

9. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I have occasionally had MEM episodes, usually after yawning. Always the left ear. At first I thought it was my Eustachian tube because I have Eustachian tube dysfunction in that ear, even though my right ear pops all the time.

The MEM episodes have happened maybe 5 times over the last few years.

Then last night, when I was out having dinner with friends and I put my earplugs in because the restaurant was loud, out of nowhere, I had like a two-hour episode of a MEM in my left ear. I went to the bathroom a couple of times where I took my earplug out after which I was fine.

I don’t know much about MEM. Is it something that can just come and go?