Can One Have Both Low and High Frequency Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JunieG, Apr 18, 2015.

1. JunieG

JunieG Member

I just developed what I thought was sudden onset tinnitus due to prolonged exposures to a low frequency sound. But I am wondering if perhaps there were earlier problems. Please tell me what you think.

In winter of 2013, in the quiet of night, I heard deep rumbling noises, like a very low grinding drill. I wondered if it was road construction, although there was none at the time. I wrote it off as a weirdness. Then, in a different room of the house, starting again 5 days ago, I heard the unrelenting low hum in the quiet night again. Sometimes when I'd move my head, I could make it stop. Again, didn't give it much thought, except thinking it was very weird. I masked the sound with white noise.

Then something new happened two days ago, I heard a strange low vibration at work that was making me upset and hurting my ears. I asked others to listen for it, abe they could hear it, but only I found it loud and painful. Long story short, I have terrible ringing in my ears and ear pain today.

I am also extremely disturbed by sound. I avoid public places because the noise, especially music, is unbearably loud, though it doesn't bother others. Up to now I've assumed the world has gotten extremely loud, but now I am wondering if it's actually just how I a perceiving it. Thoughts? I see an Ent Monday....

2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yes, I have two tones of tinnitus a high pitch scrambling noise and then a screech. It's horrible. It's totally normal to have different tones, annoying admittedly but normal. And that's hyperacusis, where loud noises hurt your ears. I cured mine by using keppra, I make no promises it would work for you, but it's worth a go.

3. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I have 3 or 4 tones, one at 15khz, one at about 10khz, a wooshing noise and a low humming which vibrates my head - I only hear that in silence.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JunieG

JunieG Member

My sensitivity to environmental sounds was getting so awful that I was beginning to wonder if I had some kind of autism. I can't stand the noise of public places anymore, and avoid them, or put in ear plugs, otherwise I feel panic and have to get out of there! Based on this new symptom, I am wondering if it was hyperacusis all the while.

5. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Keppra can help with hyperacusis. It basically cured me of hyperacusis. Although it helped me, it might not help you, but I recommend it 100% as it could help.

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I have posted this video many times before. But since your thread title is asking for if some one can have both a low and a high tone tinnitus, yes, many people have 2 toned ones. David Letterman the famous comedian has it. He jokes that it is like the Emergency Broadcast system on test 7/24 in his head.

David Letterman with William Shatner - March,...

7. Redjnr

Redjnr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Recurrent ear perforation
      I have suffered with high frequency tinnitus in my right eat for approx 12 years . I occasionally get an extremely higher and louder frequency squeal which lasts about minute. For the last 4 months I have suffered with very low frequency tinnitus in my left ear. At first I thought it was hearing hot water pipes or a car stereo outside until I realised I suffer with this constantly when I am in a quiet place. Not just in the house. I'm going to see the gp soon but not holding out much hope for any help after trawling the net the last few months looking for answers.