Can Stress Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Littlebailey, Apr 5, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I thought I read something about that just googling the net over the last week. Is that actually considered a documented, genuine cause? Of course one gets rather anxious and stressed after they get tinnitus. But can you? Is it thought that you can?

2. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      I think it's stress that makes the blood pressure high or higher than your normal which in return can cause t.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. dboy7921
      Busy

dboy7921 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2012
      Yes it does. At least in my case. It started with a strange fluttering noise in my right ear which turned into a hissing sound in both ears after a panic attack and periods of stress and anxiety. Has something to do with certain levels of stress which can damage the nerves of your inner ear. In any circumstance it can also make existing tinnitus or hyperacusis much worse.

I should also mention I am currently through a rough patch with my T and H caused by stress and loud noise exposure so that's why I'm browsing this site currently;). I was pretty chipper and habituated well before that.

4. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      So if you are able to lower your stress, and blood pressure, and any other important indicator does is it follow then that the tinnitus disappears?

Because that would seem to differ completely in cause and effect from sound trauma and damaged cochlea and whatnot.

5. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014

How did you know for sure? So they're able to test for that sort of damage? Sorry about your rough patch.

6. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      It is hard to say excactly, but I think there are some scientific researches that claim that "in patients with mild tinnitus the swift to severe tinnitus was linked to seriouss stress". Therefore I dont see why it shouldnt cause it:) However often even after the stress subsides the tinnitus stays. If you have problems with stress try to relax and if you have more serious issues, visit a doctor:) Good sleep and little thinking always helpt.

7. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Littlebailey
      I would not be surprised if it can; my T came on during a period of deep anxiety and stress (although I felt fine at the time and thought I was handling things well -- I was, in fact, a stress ball and was not handling it well).

In addition to the stress, I had been taking a lot of Ibuprofen (I hear that can be a factor also). Furthermore, I was taking an antibiotic for a toe fungal (eeew!). I also have hearing loss and now suffer T in that ear.

Just a guess -- maybe those factors actively predispose a person to T (???)

It would stand to reason that if you get rid of the stress and stop medication 'x' that your T would go away; but I think that argument is species in that T is likely an errant (or degraded) rewiring in your brain (an incorrect neuro-pathway) that takes place much further down the chain of components involved in the system that is your hearing.

Of course, all this is speculation on my part; by no means am I a qualified expert -- just another guy with T and his story.

Mark

8. citigirl13
      Dreaming

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I think that some people are more prone to T than others. My theory is that when we are stressed something inside our minds - for want of a better word - "snaps" and we get T. Some people would have a heart attack because of stress; others get T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Alex Senkowski
      Tolerant

Alex Senkowski Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      All I know for certain is that my T gets worse when I'm stressed. Don't need any scientific studies to tell me that.

10. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I was in a situation where I had headaches for three weeks. This was obviously caused by burnout and exhaustion. I thought I have brain tumor or something else serious. This put so much stress and anxiety on me that loud ringing started in my head. I have age-related hearing lost, but at this point it had nothing to do with noise exposure or whatever. Never had tinnitus before. Since then have high pitched T in my head. Stress was reduced dramatically, but T stayed. So yes, stress can cause T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. dboy7921
      Busy

dboy7921 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2012
      I don't know I just read that on the internet so it must be true right? lol. Look either way my T happened. The ENT couldn't see any damage and my hearing was fine. The nerves and muscles within your ear are so delicate and tiny god knows what is going on there. Plus it's your brain that's messing with you too of course. Which is also the key to habituation as your brain is constantly making new connections with the neurons or whatever.

Although lately I'm experiencing hyperacusis as well and I'm pretty sure some damage is done. I have a new appointment with the ENT on monday in which he'll hopefully is able to tell me more. From what I'm getting reading all this stuff on T and H and TTS is that TIME is the greatest healer and you're just gonna have to forget it's there. At least that's a start. Be one with the freaking thing. Don't fight it or it's gonna get worse.

12. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014

I think you're right about that, about being one with it, and not to fight it. I guess I'll be learning. Be well.

13. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      For years I had mild tinnitus..It worsened during a period of extreme stress. I am a vet and receive care from the VA for my tinnitus..The large local VA hospital has about 800 cases of tinnitus. My doctor who oversees the tinnitus and hearing disorders dept. says in almost all cases of tinnitus the suffer is also experiencing severe stress before the onset of the tinnitus. There is a connection as far as I am concerned.

14. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Stress and anxiety are tinnitus 'amplifiers' but they do not cause tinnitus. If you had subclinical tinnitus (not aware) before then stress and anxiety could make it more easily perceived and therefore appear causative.

15. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Really having a hard time sleeping lately whoa!

17. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't know if stress causes tinnitus. Stress certainly exacerbates mine.

18. Leopardi

Leopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      Yes they can. My tinnitus started because of stress and anxiety during high school final exams.

Which makes it funny, I studied 12 years to gain T in the last few months to be unemployed for the rest of my life.

19. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Personally I feel stress is the big culprit with T. I have been working very hard on stress management and stay calm as possible and avoid stressful situations. As of this point I havent noticed any reduction in the sound of my T but I will continue this program with hope.

20. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Stress in itself does not cause T, but when your ears are exposed to moderately loud noise, it cannot recover from the damage due to stress.

"Moreover, moderate and high stress levels at the time of acoustic trauma have been suggested to play a pivotal role in the vulnerability of the cochlea to acoustic damage and therefore for the development of tinnitus and hyperacusis."
      Source:
      http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301008213000804

• Like Like x 1
    21. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      My T came after a period of great stress which on hindsight was totally unnecessary

• Like Like x 1
    22. drox
      Pacman

drox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs/stress/music/noise ?
      It looks like prolonged stress or overwork can create a biochemical imbalance or even a stroke leading to sudden hearing loss and tinnitus. Stress might also potentiate other risk factors (drugs, noise) and my experience supports this theory ! It looks like prolonged stress (and particularly anger) acts like poison for your body, ears and brain included ! The irony of it being ending up with one of the most stressful condition for the rest of your life... So hard !