Can the Menopause Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by truesilence, Jul 26, 2015.

1. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      My GP seems to think that the Menopause may have started my T. Anyone here with a similar experience?

2. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Unlikely I would have thought as most 50 plus women would have it, of course it's impossible to rule everything out and maybe if you had a huge drop in hormones it might have but general hormone decline is gradual over 7 or 8 years.

I trust it isn't the loud invasive kind and it's something you will habituate to quickly

3. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      my gynecologist said peri menopause nor menopause would cause tinnitus, I was thinking it might too..

4. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Menopause can cause T as well as vertigo and pains and oh so many more things that you wouldn't dream of. To say that it's unlikely because most 50 plus women would have T if menopause caused it is complete rubbish. There are so many many symptoms menopause can cause and not every menopausal woman has every symptom! But you can bet if someone will get every one of them it'll be me!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I agree, that hormones at menopause cause or make T worse. Its happening to me right now. Mine began at the age of 50 in peri, I had habituated but now am relapsing and desperate.

6. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I believe any incidence that involves brain chemistry which can mess with the signals of the auditory nerve can cause or worsen t. An imbalance of hormones can very much effect brain chemistry. As can stress, and a host of other things. Saw one comment that this would then likely happen to all women. Well, as usual, it is probably those of us who are prone to t that this could effect. Perhaps just like some of us would get stomach ulcers under stress and some do not.
      I am one in many whose t like clockwork worsens during menstruation.
      My t was actually caused by a sudden shift in brain chemistry.
      But having said that, some of us with t perhaps caused by sound exposure, do not see t worsen during menstruation.
      That is why t is such a tricky can of worms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      You know, I was just thinking about hormones and the effect it might have on T.
      I just had two-three weeks of really shitty T (I know you replied to my post about it) and yesterday I got my period. At the same time my T went down to baseline (still a little louder than normal but not as bad as before). I wonder if there is a relation between hormones (periods, ovulation, menopause) that can cause an spike? Since pregnant women can get T from pregnancy and I suppose it is from the increased hormones among other things, I do believe menopause can affect T (not sure it can cause it).

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Hormones can certainly play havoc with our minds and bodies Fangen!! I'm going through the meno and I don't think it helps, but not entirely convinced it has caused my T. Sometimes I wish I still had periods, cause ' the change' sucks!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. RileyGirl

RileyGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2112
      Mine started at the same time as menopause - 5 years later I still am suffering with both. I wonder if there is a correlation?

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      I'm 38 and according to blood tests I'm going through menopause... My t is worst when on my period.. I have 2 or 3 a year if that only if I'm on birth control.. I also have pcos .. I do believe my t has a lot to do wthat th all these hormonal imbalances I have .. I'm having the nausea , hit flashes.. Vomito get everything .. My t is crazy when I'm having a hot flash .. I'm yet to go to the gyno.. Will see what happens ... Too many things at once.. Feel so sick

11. Mandygu

Mandygu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How about T and Osteoporosis? The lack of calcium?