Can Tinnitus Caused by Sinus Infection Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Guguguna, Oct 13, 2018.

?

Do you have tinnitus spikes during colds/sinusitis?

1. Yes, had a permanent increase in tinnitus

2. Yes, had a temporary increase in tinnitus

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Guguguna

Guguguna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 09 10
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinusitis/cold
      Hello,
      Has anyone had tinnitus after sinus infection? When? Did it go away for you?

I had throat ache on September 5th, then temperature 37.7, then sinus infection and on September 10th woke up with tinnitus.

Tried pentoxifylline, vitamin b, prednisolone after a week. Prednisolone did help for 3 days, then I used antihistamines Cirrus and tinnitus got 100proc worse.

Now doctor suggested taking Amoksiklav (amoxicillin antibiotics). Took 2 pills and hearing became strange and dull. Is it it normal? I'm afraid to take it again.

My eustachian tubes are still closed. Hard to swallow.

Need experiences from people who have tinnitus from sinusitis, because I'm very scared that it will never go away... It's a month with tinnitus now...

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Guguguna,
      A steroid nasal spray will help when used daily to clear your tubes and reduce inflammation.

love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guguguna

Guguguna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 09 10
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinusitis/cold
      Yes, i used it for a month... Did nothing...
      I wonder what's other people experience... Is this already permanent tinnitus or no...

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Guguguna,
      If it's allergy related try an antihistamine to reduce mucus production with the spray.

love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guguguna

Guguguna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 09 10
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinusitis/cold
      @glynis
      No, no allergy as far as I know... I used antihistamines Cirrus and it made my tinnitus worse...

• Like Like x 1
    6. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      I've have one deformed sinus and both clogged sometimes- antihistamine with HCl (like Benedryl for allergy) helps but more than that, cleaning my sinuses with salt water rinses (gently using an ear syringe bulb), blowing and rinsing repeatedly until finally my ears will sort of pop or open. I try not to take drugs but if sinus infection is real bad and garlic in the diet wouldn't cure it, I'd be game for the antibiotic. Another very odd thing that I found helpful for sinus, asthma, cough and mucus issue in the morning is rinsing out my mouth with hot coffee several times and discarding.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guguguna

Guguguna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 09 10
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinusitis/cold
      My eustachian tubes are clean. I still have tinnitus.

Does that mean I will have tinnitus forever?

Anyone with tinnitus from sinusitis?

8. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      No one can tell you whether you will have tinnitus forever. No one here is a doctor and can't give you that type of information.

It seems like you just recently acquired tinnitus, so you should give yourself time to heal. More often than not, people have gotten better over time. Try to relax and take comfort in that fact.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guguguna

Guguguna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 09 10
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinusitis/cold
      The only way to know whether it is permanent or not is to find people with similar experience. I want to know if it was permanent to them and they got used to suffering or if it completely disappeared...

I feel like I'm the only one in the world who has tinnitus from sinusitis... WTF...

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guguguna

Guguguna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 09 10
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinusitis/cold
      Anyone?

11. grime
      In pain

grime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      idk, noise? stress? maybe even dormant syphilis returning
      If it makes you feel any better, most of the people on this board aren't going to give you personal anecdotes about how their tinnitus went away because they're only hear because they have it in the first place. Anyone who had tinnitus that went away is likely avoiding these forums so they don't have to remember what it was like, lol.

Infection tinnitus can and does go away for many people, I've read and heard personally about stories of people's relatives who had it go away any time from two months to two years, and you're only going to find those if you go on a nice Odyssey through the doom and gloom rabbit hole. Everyone on here with infection related tinnitus is going to be the permanent kind.

Mine is from an infection and while it hasn't entirely dissapeared yet it gets better and better every day to the point where I hardly even give a shit. As long as I don't spike it, it's to the point where the only time I hear it is in a completely silent room with something covering my ears. Still sucks because I have to abstain from a lot of drugs that greatly assisted me through mental illness, but that's a me thing and probably doesn't apply to you. Most people would kill to have what I have.

Stay positive and do everything you can to take care of the infection or any other possible cause. Nothing else you can do aside from avoid things that spike it. Permanent tinnitus sounds fucking terrifying but it's completely livable, and that's coming from someone who has had to sacrifice everything I lived for to keep it at a manageable level. Furthermore, a livable and adaptable condition is the WORST case scenario here.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guguguna

Guguguna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 09 10
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinusitis/cold
      • Like Like x 1
    13. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      I felt improvement on my tinnitus after one month of using steroid nasal spray(mometasone furoate), but I'm not sure if that's what influenced. I switched to another steroid nasal spray(fluticasone furoate) and seems this did not affect my tinnitus..
      I read somewhere here if you have eustachian tubes problems, you have to use it for a long time >month.

14. grime
      In pain

grime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      idk, noise? stress? maybe even dormant syphilis returning
      @Guguguna of course man, hang in there shit gets better

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guguguna

Guguguna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 09 10
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinusitis/cold
      @grime To me things get worse. Especially after antihistamines my tinnitus increased so much and then it got lower after few days and now it's louder than in the beginning. My ENT said that it is nerve damage by sinusitis. Don't know why it's getting worse and what to expect.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guguguna

Guguguna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018 09 10
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinusitis/cold
      Hello,
      4 months ago I got tinnitus from sinus infection. Now I am having my next cold/sinus infection and tinnitus got horribly loud. Temperature is not high,almost normal (37'), nose is clogged by mucus, eardrums got inside.
      I went to ENT and he gave me antihistamines and nasal drops.

I am very scared about this spike. Is it normal to get alot louder tinnitus during colds/sinusitis? Should I do something? Should i ask for prednisolon? Will tinnitus stay loud?

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. cry_of_the_w1nd
      Blah

cry_of_the_w1nd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection
      hey i also have tinnitus from a sinus infection. how are you now? i've been fighting it for 4 months i just got a balloon sinuplasty procedure yesterday because my nasal passage was totally blocked in the CT scan. its not horribly loud but its day 1 after the procedure and my doctor told me the long term swelling from the inflammation would take a few weeks to get noticeable better. it's been a pretty hard time for me since january ive felt sick since then, although the acute period is over i still have chronic sinusitis. From what i understand the tinnitus is more from the increased pressure and inflammation stressing the ear.

Since the volume seems to fluctuate (for me too) for you I'm thinking it's not permanent and should get considerably better if not go away when the infection clears. my doctor said the core of the problem is that the immune system(via mucus) cant reach the affected sinus because the passage is closed so don't give up just yet. i get really down sometimes because of the constant sinus pressure/feeling sick but it's a treatable problem! since the passage is theoretically open now i'm going to do multiple daily saline rinses and herbal vapor inhales with a few drops of oregano oil, eucalyptus oil, cinnamon oil, thyme oil and clove oil and pray to God that the procedure does its thing.