Can You Get Used to White Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Matthew Stacey, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Matthew Stacey

Matthew Stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/10/2014
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes you can.
      white noise sound should be played all through the night set below your tinnitus sound as this is when the white noise works its magic.
      Your brain will work hard to pick up your white noise sound and push your tinnitus sound to the back ground.
      This will then help your brain adjust to your tinnitus through the day.
      Any natural sound will help through the night like the sea or wind....lots of love glynis

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      So @Matthew Stacey:

Are you asking: Will I eventually get used to the sound of the white noise so it will become a natural part of my environment?
      Or: Has my brain become accustomed to the white noise so that the noise no longer does its magic and puts me to sleep -- sort of like your brain gets used to certain drugs and then you need higher and higher dosages?

For many people, the answer to question number one is yes, white noise (or whatever noise you choose) can become part of your environment and gives your brain something to listen to. With some sound therapies, like Neuronomics, you listen to the same noises or light music over and over, so it becomes routine rather than distracting for your brain. I was told not to use vocal music as a masking noise, as your brain becomes distracted by the words.

Regarding question number two: Not sure. I don't think white noise would stop working because your brain has become accustomed to it. Could be something else is going on with your routine, or your medications, that is making it hard to fall asleep now.

Interested to see what others say.

4. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      What if the machine that you are using switches off whilst you are asleep and so you end up sleeping in silence and wake up to silence......till you put on some noise......does that work too?

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If your managing to sleep its fine.
      If its troublesome through the day then natural sound or white noise can help.
      Maskers can help or mp3 etc set on white noise below your tinnitus sound ...lots of love glynis

6. John G

John G Member

I have never tried white noise until last night. I turned it on when I went to bed. It seemed that I woke up quite often during the night...alot more then usual. Plus my T is alot louder today. I wonder if I should continue with the white noise at night?.