Can You Habituate to Reactive Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CarloZ, Oct 14, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 3, 2015
      I have tinnitus (buzzing) and reactive tinnitus (changes sounds). Can I still habituate to RT? Or does RT get worse as time goes on?

2. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      I had really bad sound reactive tinnitus and mild hyperaccusis this time last year when my tinnitus relapse occurred. I couldn't drive long distances and couldn't go to cafes etc. It continued for some 9 months for me whilst overtime getting better.

I now have good days and bad days but neither can be directly associated with activity and/or noise exposure, rather it's the tinnitus itself which determines how noisy it's going to be on a particular day. Overtime I should be able to habituate. Just remember that while habituation can occur as early as six months, it generally takes 12-18 months to happen! :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      The short answer is yes, BUT it's not always as simple as that. It will vary person to person - I for one have a form of mild reactive tinnitus, in the sense that most days it's at a level which I have no problem with but then other days (for no apparent reason) it will be louder or more intrusive although it will still not really bother me.

It has taken me 12+ months to get to this habituated stage and there have and still are many ups and downs. The key is acceptance and trying to carry on with life with as much normalcy as you did before tinnitus, whilst taking much greater care of your ears.

Good luck!

Alec

4. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Mark,
      Did you take steps to improve the reactive T and H, or was it a time thing?

Can you drive long distances & go to cafes now without protection?

5. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      Yes to both. It took around 9-10 months to reach that point and I still have bad days 12 months later. Now I just do whatever.

6. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Did you do TRT, or was it just a matter of time before you were comfortable in cars & cafes?

7. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      It was time more than anything else. As things improved I became aware that I could handle more. Initially there was lots of anxiety being in a cafe or from driving...you know fear of a spike, but as it stopped happening more and more I stopped worrying about it!

It's not perfect yet though. I'm still not 100% habituated and I still have days with more obvious T, but my overall quality of life has improved.

Just stay positive bro and be prepared to give it time. For most people they recover. Just remember the minority that don't are the ones on this board who are in the greatest pain!

• Like Like x 2