Can You Habituate to Tinnitus If You Are on Anti-Anxiety Medication (Benzos)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by savister, Oct 28, 2020.

1. savister

savister Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I have moderate tinnitus that at times causes a lot of anxiety. To treat the anxiety, I am on Xanax .5mg as needed. I pretty much take it 3 times per day.

My question is has anyone who is taking benzos been able to habituate to tinnitus? I know there are so many people saying benzos slow down neuroplasticity but yet others say it doesn't. So I'd like to hear from someone who has done both.

Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is quite possible to habituate on antidepressant medication and will usually make the process easier. You should follow the advice of your GP (family doctor) and ENT doctor regarding medication. It helps to know what caused your tinnitus because in most cases something usually does. The most common is exposure to loud noise/sound. Typically it is listening to music through headphones, earbuds or headset at too high a volume or being exposed to other forms of loud noise.

All the best
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      savister

savister Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Michael for your response, it really helps to have some light at the of the tunnel. Some days things seem so bleak and dark. I have tinnitus from hearing loss and noise trauma. My ENT is no help, but my GP is more sympathetic and says it's fine to be on Xanax to reduce anxiety. I will be consulting an audiologist and therapist.

4. Bill Arsenault

Bill Arsenault Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Permanent/Highly intrusive since 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Over Exposure. Worsened by ototoxic Street Drugs/Meds.
      Glad you are finding it so useful and getting some relief from tinnitus and anxiety.

That’s what it’s all about sometimes-
      Finding which med gives you the most benefit-
      And giving up the ones you can live without.

Take it easy.

5. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Have you noticed any changes in the efficacy of Xanax?

6. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My answer will be a bit different than Michael's.

Firstly, Xanax is not an AD, it's a benzodiazepine and its mechanism of action is vastly different.

Your question regarding neuroplasticity is of high importance but I fear there is no actual knowledge regarding the specific effect of benzo on brain plasticity.

I've been on Clonazepam for 3 years and I cannot habituate to the tinnitus anymore, as if my brain was stuck on the sounds + the tinnitus gets louder and louder for no reason. I had had tinnitus for 15 years prior to that with no problem habituating to new tinnitus levels/frequencies.

My personal feedback is that benzos do prevent MY brain from getting used to the sound. It's just me, I'm not saying it's a general rule.

I'm slowly tapering, but it takes time. I'm pretty hopeful I'll be back to the habituation process once I'm off the meds.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1