Carbamazepine (Tegretol, Equetro)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by 111, Aug 26, 2014.

1. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      No, I haven't tried Nortriptyline although I have it here. I have just been looking at the box, and reading as reliable a source of information online as I can find.

Ahhhh - I didn't spot the thread title, I thought it was general medicine related!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Gnl1986

Gnl1986 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      I've been on Carbamazepine. I was given it because I had a persistent case of Trigeminal Neuralgia that was the most painful thing I had ever experienced. I wanted to die.

I love Carbamazepine. My body doesn't react well to it, but it works immediately for me. My Trigeminal Neuralgia was gone after 3 days, my swollen gums and teeth that persisted for over 5 months were gone.

It slightly helped with my tinnitus but it drastically helped with my ear neuralgia. I was able to handle my 4-year-old screeching without the sharp pain and pinching in my ear!

After a week of taking Carbamazepine, the side effects were too much to continue, so now I just take it when I need it. The dry mouth is the worst but I also got intense anxiety feelings and burning sensation under my skin. I was also taking Pregabalin and Zopiclone which is a no-no.

I'm starting to take it again right now to see if it will reduce my tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AverageJoe12

AverageJoe12 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A night club in Feb ‘23, drummer since 15 years old
      Hey man - I think I'll try Carbamazepine as well for the ear neuralgia. Was yours constant or in response to sounds like your 4-year-old screeching? Was it ear fullness or a stabbing sensation in response to sound?
      Hey Keith - fellow Delawarian here. How're you doing these days? Did your MEM/TTTS feel like hyperacusis at any point or really reactive to sound? I am so uncomfortable in loud environments now and in response to unexpected, loud, shrill noises. I've had ear fullness and that feeling of tension in my middle ear. I'm debating trying Carbamazepine.

4. BB23
      Suicidal

BB23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics and mirtazapine
      Does Carbamazepine need to be taken permanently for TTTS? Does it only help with the spasms?

I have this constant tugging feeling which gets worse when I raise my eyebrows. Does it help with that too?

5. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      monitor noise trauma at gig
    6. Ngo13

Ngo13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Baby scream (acoustic trauma)
      Yes, everything I've seen says symptoms return upon stopping the medicine.

• Informative Informative x 1