Career Change?

Discussion in 'Support' started by daisyjc, Feb 1, 2015.

1. daisyjc
      Busy

daisyjc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Lately I've been thinking that it might be time for a career change. This is sad, as I love what I do and am not sure I can see myself doing anything else. However, the demands of the job have increased tremendously as well as my inability to cope with the everchanging evaluations that place more and more blame on the teachers instead of those truly responsible. As an elementary teacher who works in a state that's adopted the common core curriculum, with little to no school curriculum available to teach the standards, we're forced as educators to purchase our own curriculum on sites like Teacherspayteachers.com for our students. It's really disturbing, as we're then evaluated on our effectiveness which directly relates to the materials we purchase with our own money (still, I've managed to always receive the highest ratings on all my evaluations). I'm just so nervous that the stress level, as well as the noise level of little students, will eventually result in a permanant slow increase of my tinnitus :( I just feel lost, with little options. I'm afraid my health cannot endure this profession, but a teaching degree offers little qualification for a job outside of the classroom. So, why am I writing this post? I was wondering if there are any other elementary teachers out there with tinnitus. Has your tinnitus worsened over time or has it remained the same? If my tinnitus were to remain the same, then I could continue with my current job (which I do love, despite the demands). However, if staying means putting my health at risk... then I need to find something else.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Daisy

im not a teacher, but i work as a midwife and consider my job to be highly demanding and stressful at times.

i think stress is inevitable, and its all about managing your stress that is the key to staying put in a job that you otherwise love. i would think that a teacher who is passionate and committed as you are would be a terrible loss to the students who probably love you to bits!

you cant see yourself doing anything else? so why leave and cause yourself more stress? can you perhaps consider home schooling/other etc ?

regarding noise damage, my audio reassured me that unless my ears are exposed to noise that exceeds 85db that no auditory damage is likely to occur. i personally wouldnt worry too much, even though i totally get why you are questioning if you should remain in a workplace that is placing extreme pressure on you. i think itd be an awful shame to lose your expertise and obvious gift in this area. youre also letting 't win each time you make a decision based on what your t is doing. i guess that would cause me to be even more stubborn and not give in to it.

3. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I'm not a teacher but I find common core extremely stressful! I do teach a Sunday school class and the kids are pretty loud it hasn't affected my tinnitus in fact I forget all about it when I'm in the class.

4. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I'm a music teacher/musician and do private lessons as well as group lessons 6 days a week. You can make it. Just try to manage your reaction don't feed the cycle of fear and stress. Possibly looking into CBT may help. There are some effective techniques.

5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I worked 34 years in a state hospital. Many of those years were spent in old wooden tall ceiling noisy classrooms. Can you imagine the noise? But it was loud music and other louder sounds that damaged me, not the people. Soul Station is right about managing your reaction. I believe that most people with tinnitus can be free of the worry, fear, and even the sound of it.
      Read through a handful of posts and notice how people type sentence after sentence describing the sound of their T. I used to do that. Now I pay absolutely NO attention to the sound, volume, frequency ..etc... I only address my feeling about my T. When I shifted my attention from the sound to my emotions, something happened. In a short time, I was not hearing my T as often. Then as time went on, If my T was intrusive, I was just not in the mood to tell myself about my feelings. In other words, the technique I discovered worked. You can read about it here https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Oh....I hear your pain. I have taught since 1990. I resigned last year due to the onset of severe T and possible Meneires Disease. I could have powered through another year but since I am 54 I decided I would cut out the stress and live life. I do continue to volunteer in a kindergarten classroom in the afternoons to help with a math table during rotations. I pick the days. It is typically only 2 days a week. If I want to work more I can. I also continue to teach at my church 2nd grade (I have done this 20 years). I am in a much better place and still feel as though I am making good contributions to the profession.

I am not sure what your financial situation is, but if you are willing to volunteer there are plenty of opportunities for teaching that will allow you to control the stress.

Because I have taught for so many years, I can assure you that you are not alone in experiencing the increase of stress. The "little bits" coming in seem to be more in need and the District demands increase each year with less support in the classrooms. That is simply the hard reality. And, like you, I too have opened the checkbook to fund my classrooms each year. My last year of teaching my expenses were over $2000.

Hugs and best wishes on your decision.