Caregiver of Elderly Parent with Pulsatile Tinnitus — Now What?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bandit, May 7, 2017.

1. Bandit

Bandit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Support/caregiver for parent, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scar tissue from brain surgery
      Hello!

I am hoping to get some help and suggestions on helping my elderly mother (81) cope with this condition. She had surgery to remove a tumor that enveloped her cranial nerves about six years ago. It was a long surgery and left her profoundly deaf in one ear and severely deaf in the other. She is still somewhat independent and lives alone (she refuses to move, nor would I want her to). Recently (about four weeks ago), she started hearing loud banging/thumping sounds. She finally went to the hospital, and was told the scar tissue is blocking an artery to her ear, as well as the nerve, and that is creating the pounding noises. No suggestions by the hospital other than "oh well, live with it" and see us about a cochlear when she completely loses hearing.

She is not accepting this well, and it has been horrible trying to keep her from making some big mistakes. She is convinced her neighbors are doing something to drive her crazy and wants to call the FCC (she already tried ATT) or someone who does electronic surveillance to monitor the house and catch them in the act. I'm afraid she's going to end up committed if she keeps going on about it. She has threatened suicide if it doesn't stop, and has generally been miserable. She said it is like having road construction going on in her head.

I've been trying to figure out distractions for her to keep her from focusing on it, but since I do not live with her, when I leave her house it gets bad again and it's back to the phones calls, tears and threats. Any tips on what I can do to make it easier and help her accept this? I'm stressed out, and feel horrible that she is dealing with it, but feel helpless at the moment. She had regular tinnitus as a result of nerve damage from polio, but this is an entirely new beast to deal with.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      I would see her doctor.
      Sometimes a small beta blocker can help ...
      Keep pushing for help.
      Keep us posted .
      Love glynis

3. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Welcome. I want to assure you that your mothers response is perfectly normal. I don't have pulsating tinnitus so someone else is sure to have more info on it.

But the starting phase is panic and that is a normal response. I have was in panic for about 4 weeks too until I calmed down a bit. Mood swings are impossible to avoid as for now.

I advise no supplements for now though because she's probably on some sort of medication. Most of the popular supplements are not compatible with heart medication so that is a red flag. It is also good to look up her meds and see if there are any side effects like tinnitus.