Church Worship and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rina, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      Should I wear earplugs during worship at church? I love worship but I don't want to make my T worse!

2. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I guess it depends on your T ... And your church :)

I very rarely go to church, and when I do, it's quite a somber type service - not at all like some upbeat services I've seen. If your talking electric guitars, speakers and lots of loud shouting, then yes - I'd take some plugs along... BUT, my T is also reactive and loud places seem to amp mine up - you may be fine

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      If you have H, and if there are loud music at your church congregation, then yes you should wear ear plugs. Otherwise there is no need to over protect. You will be able to tell if you can handle social conversation or speaker sound from the pulpit. If you can't take it, then your H is not ready to handle loud sound yet and you should wear ear plugs or simply stay off until your H is more stabilized.

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I sure do, and if the bass is loud, I leave.

5. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I'm in our church choir which I love and also in a bell choir which was very hard when my T first started. I wore earplugs for a couple of months then slowly stopped wearing them, and it doesn't bother me too much anymore. Sometimes my T is worse on Mondays and Thursdays (the day after rehearsal) and for awhile I considered dropping out of choir. Then I realized that I loved choir more than I hated the T and I didn't want it to dictate what I could do. I'm slowly habituating so I just accept that Mondays and Thursdays might be "louder" T days. I think you should try worship with earplugs at first, and if it doesn't make your T worse, then you can try it without them. It all depends on how loud your music is and how sensitive your hearing is. I do put my earplugs in if the trumpet player comes, but that's usually just for big feasts like Christmas and Easter!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I wear earplugs to church and after the singing part is over I take them off.

7. Kevin08
      Balanced

Kevin08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      I like your way of thinking; don't let T drive the bus. We need to love doing things more than we hate our t. So many t sufferers are also music lovers. We need to find ways to continue with out passions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      Yes, especially if they have a live band. If it's a regular church, with a choir and piano, your probably fine.