Coca-Cola and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Erlend, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      My T is really loud now, it usually isn't.

I've had a coca cola, could this have an impact on T Caffeine? Artificial sweeteners?

2. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I drink diet coke now and then, it has no effect on my t, salt on the other hand really sends it crazy.

3. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      That is not possible to answer. People react different to caffeine. I can't drink coffee. If I do that my heart goes crazy. I also start to sweat and get palpitations.

4. Steelbanks
      Happy

Steelbanks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm a long time sufferer. I've always been told caffiene makes T worse, however for me personally it never has. I was a regular 2 cups a day drinker, now I drink one if any but I've never really noticed it making a difference. Having said that, different strokes for different folks. Stop drinking coke and see what happens? I stopped the coffee and nothing changed so went back to drinking it.

5. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999

My suspicion is that it's doubtful coca cola would cause ones tinnitus to substantially increase but you need to figure out yourself what if anything causes any changes. In my case salt is a catylist for vertigo and dizziness so I avoid it where possible. FWIW I don't drink coca cola and never really have and maybe that's why I still have my teeth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      @Erlend , coke spikes my T. I don't drink it anymore.

7. Smoogle
      Wishful

Smoogle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      For some people caffeine and/or sugar will spike tinnitus, but I've never heard of it increasing T permanently.

I think my T is more likely to increase when I'm off caffeine than on... my body is too used to it!

8. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Probably not.

This is from the ATA website...

"Still, as recently as 2005, we asked our ATA members in a member survey whether or not they felt that their tinnitus was affected by caffeine consumption. Though it was not a scientific survey, 24% of our members felt that their tinnitus got worse after consuming caffeine.

Contrary to all of these personal accounts, the UK team found that caffeine had no significant bearing (if any) on an individual's tinnitus. According to Dr. Lindsay St. Claire and her research team at the Center for Hearing and Balance Studies at the University of Bristol, the amount of caffeine a person consumed had no effect on the severity of tinnitus in their study. You can read more about the design of the study and how it was conducted here:http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60J5EA20100120"

9. EdnaLegume
      Cheeky

EdnaLegume Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      caffeine causes an increase in my anxiety and tinnitus. now whether the tinnitus increase is due to the caffeine or anxiety remains to be seen. I avoid it all the same.

I get a similar effect from sugar.

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Caffeine, sugar, and Nutri Sweet send me.

11. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Food and drinks don't really seem to effect my T, at least from what I can tell. I eat lots of different stuff and from what I can tell nothing effects it. Is there anything that effects T for everyone?

12. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I have the same reaction to caffeine. The last time I drank one was when I was young trying to drink coffee (for the first time & the last time) so I could study more to prepare for an exam. My heart sped up uncontrollably & I spent the night worrying about my survival than the exam. LOL.

13. Lynnette
      Blah

Lynnette Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Magpie interesting that salt can start up your vertigo and dizziness. I have dizziness often but never made the correlation between the two...anything else you notice sets you off?

14. Estelle

Estelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      It's not caffeine that create tinnitus but caramel colorant E150d which is present in coca-cola but also some salad dressings and chocolate cereals. This colorant is made from ammoniac. Studies showed it created spasms to animals. It's also forbidden in California for cancerous reasons.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1