Comparison of Melatonin and Sertraline Therapies on Tinnitus: A Randomized Clinical Trial

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Tigo, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Tigo

Tigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      genetic hearing loss
      Comparison of Melatonin and Sertraline Therapies on Tinnitus: A Randomized Clinical Trial.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
      Tinnitus is the perception of noise or ringing without external acoustic stimulants which affects almost 10% of general population. Many therapies have been recommended including diet modifications, herbal remedies, and chemical drugs. Most common utilized drugs for tinnitus are melatonin and antidepressants such as sertraline which have been proven in different studies. In this study, we aimed to compare the efficacy of melatonin and sertraline in treating tinnitus for the first time.

METHODS:
      In this clinical trial, 70 patients with tinnitus according to inclusion and exclusion criteria were included and randomly divided into two groups: melatonin group, taking melatonin 3 mg once daily and sertraline group taking sertraline 50 mg once daily, all treating for 3 months. Before and after treatments, every patient received Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI) questionnaire and severity of tinnitus was assessed, and data analysis was performed.

RESULTS:
      Before treatments, the mean of THI score for melatonin and sertraline groups were 45.02 ± 17.67 and 44.85 ± 20.57, respectively. There was no significant difference between both groups THI score (P = 0.23). After 3 months, the mean of THI scores for melatonin and sertraline groups were 30.29 ± 19.62 and 36.96 ± 25.03, respectively which the mean of THI scores in two groups was decreased significantly (P < 0.01, for-both). In addition, indicated the significant decline in THI score of melatonin group who were under treatments with melatonin 3 mg once daily (P = 0.02).

CONCLUSIONS:
      Here in this clinical trial, we demonstrated that both melatonin and sertraline are efficient in treating tinnitus, but the usage of melatonin 3 mg once daily is more effective.

KEYWORDS:
      Melatonin; sertraline; tinnitus

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      There is another study that suggests Melatonin assists with Tinnitus as well - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21859051. Personally, its never helped me but only made me sleepy the next day.

I know Zoloft is one of the AD's often used for Tinnitus as well; but thats probably because its also one of the most popular AD's prescribed by physicians.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. jimH
      No Mood

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I took three mg a day for more than a year. It didn't help me either with regard to my T. However, it did help me to sleep better. As you already know, there are different conditions that cause Tinnitus. So, I think it's one of those things that a person has to try and see for themselves if it helps.

4. HomeoHebbian
      Question it

HomeoHebbian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Tinnitus is measured through a highly subjective self report. Any type of clinical study that uses self-report instead of an objective measure runs the risk of having placebo effects strongly influence their outcome measure. If a study like this does not include a placebo control, it is, at best, an interesting curiosity. You cannot make any strong claims regarding tinnitus management and care without a properly designed study, that includes the necessary control groups. This is science 101.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree, but how do you measure it objectively? When I was a patient in the AM-101 trials they did tinnitus volume matching tests (DBSL) and repeated it multiple times for consistency, but even that is somewhat subjective.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    6. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      How can melatonin be effective? It improves sleep so easier to cope with tinnitus?

7. AnnieM
      Stressed

AnnieM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PROBABLY long term exposure to the sound of motors/blowers
      Melatonin was one thing I took to help me sleep at night but apparently I must be acclimating to it. I'm up to 12 mg a night (I take the Alteril brand, which has several other natural sleep aids included) and I still need to take an occasional sleeping pill. Partly this is a response to worsening tinnitus but also because of several extremely stressful things happening around me concurrently.

8. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      Isn't 3 mg a maximum dosage one can take melatonin? Is 12 mg even safe...?

9. fade2black244
      Inspired

fade2black244 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/24/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Melatonin is a natural hormone that is produced by the brain. People take it to help them sleep when their brain doesn't produce enough of it. It regulates the circadian rhythm that the body uses to set sleep schedules.

To answer your question, no, 12 mg is not unsafe. Excessive, but sometimes it helps with rough nights. It is very difficult to overdose on most naturally produced hormones.

Before I took legitimate sleeping medication like I do now, I used only over the counter sleep aids.

Many years ago, out of frustration with horrible insomnia, I took half of a bottle of Melatonin. 23 pills, each 3 mg. 23x3=69 mg. Let's say that not all of the hormone was absorbed so it was likely just above the 60 mg mark and all I got was slight nausea and I slept the whole night, plus through most of my classes that day.

Boy did I ever have a sleep hangover and massive lethargy the next day. But... I was fine.

Now I take 2 (sometimes modified to 3 or 4) quick dissolve tablets both of which are 3 mg and dissolve them under the tongue along with Lunesta. I sleep much better nowadays.

Still makes no difference on the T though.