Computers and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Peter Q

Peter Q Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Noise from my laptop seems to exacerbate my tinnitus too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Peter Q

Thank you for resurrecting this thread which I started 5 years ago. At the time of writing I knew of the effects near-field computer use can have on some people with tinnitus, particularly noise induced. Times have moved on and I've acquired more knowledge and experience on this subject. As mentioned in my previous post on this thread, the adverse affects from computer use is due to noise from the internal mechanical spinning hard drive and fan within the PC tower case or Laptop computer.

My Laptop has a solid-state hard drive with no internal fan and can use it for hours without any problems. I upgraded my desktop computer that has a tower base unit. I asked the manufacturer to fit an internal solid-state hard drive and the quietest fan available. The PC base unit is approximately 3ft/1 metre away from me and is virtually silent. Occasionally I hear the gentle whirl of the internal fan if I happen to focus on it. I usually have low level background music playing for sound enrichment. This isn't because of my tinnitus it's something I've got used to having over many years.

I have no problems using the desktop PC with the base unit in such close proximity, something that wasn't previously possible with my other PC tower units, as my tinnitus would ramp up to very severe levels.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. Peter Q

Peter Q Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Michael
      Is there any particular brand or model of laptop you would recommend? Apropos background music, I often listen to Van Morrison.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Peter Q

Thank you for your question and again for bumping up this thread, as I think it will help a lot of people that suffer from the effects of internal hard drive and computer fan noise. Hopefully this is now a thing of the passed with solid-state hard drive for Laptops and PC tower units with SShd and quiet internal fans.

I personally feel any laptop that uses an internal SSHD will suit you just fine. I use a fairly inexpensive one for word processing only and bought it last year from Amazon UK. A LincPlus at around £250 and works just fine. My desktop PC with tower base unit is much more high-end and was bespoke built by Chillblast computer manufacturer, who have won many PC awards. I'm thoroughly pleased with it.

Whatever type of background music you like should suffice. I have a preference for classical and opera music.

Best of luck whatever you decide to buy and please let me know how you get on.
      Take care

Michael

5. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      The new MacBook Air (just announced today) with the M1 processor has no fan. So it will have no moving parts at all. It'll be like using an iPad. Get one of those if you're worried about computers making noise.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Jarnoz
      Musical

Jarnoz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chilling on a wednesday
      If you are worried about EMF from a computer, then rip out all electric devices, microwaves, routers, etc...

We live from one EMF to the other EMF, even outside.

There is no way Desktop PCs cause tinnitus.

Also, fans don't cause it as well, modern fans don't even go above 40 dB most of the time.

7. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Chuck McGill from Better Call Saul. :p Wear your tin foil hats kids! More *&^ distorted thinking...

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I think he meant the computer noise irritated the tinnitus that was worsened by the HiFi. If anyone cooks on induction by the way, that's a whole lot of EMF right there. Most modern kitchens come with induction hobs nowadays. As you say it's unfeasible to ban EMF.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Correct @Bartoli, I once thought it was EMF that the computer radiates that was causing my tinnitus to increase. It took me a while to find out that it's the noise from the mechanical spinning hard drive and fan within the computer case, that causes the problem, for some people with noise induced tinnitus. I now use a computer with SSD and very quiet fan and have no problems. My laptop also has SSD and have no issues. I have two laptops with conventional spinning hard drives and fan that I'm unable to use for any length of time.

Michael

10. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I know we discussed this in another thread, but just wanted to chime in that when I use Xanax (Alprazolam), the sensitivity issues having to do with my PC fans go down or away, so it must be at least partly effected by neurotransmitters.

Edit: May I also ask if you have this issue with air conditioning, as I do? Air moving through an air conditioning vent produces the same effect for me.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks for letting me know that you find the Xanax helpful. Please be aware, it might not be a good idea taking this medication too often, as it may have dependency issues. I believe Xanax works similar to medications like Clonazepam, which I take when my tinnitus is very severe. Fortunately the tinnitus has improved over the last two years, so now taking Clonazepam about once every 6 to 8 weeks and only for a one day.

I live in the UK and most homes do not need air conditioning due to our mostly cold to moderate climate. However, our spring and summers have become warmer. Twenty to thirty years ago, air conditioning for new run of the mill motor cars was an additional option, as there wasn't much need for it. Now they are considered a necessary requirement due to climate becoming warmer.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    12. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      In retrospect, wouldn't listening to orchestral music on a HI-FI be the more obvious culprit? :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes, I agree, I was enjoying a Haydn symphony a bit too much and turned up the volume...

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Ben Winders.

Please read all the posts in this thread that you might find helpful.

15. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am all m.2 NAND drives now, and they are silent.

Unfortunately I have a GeForce 3080 RTX graphics card, which generates approximately as much noise as a small jet turbine. The fine folks over at BeQuiet! have me covered -- the fans on this card can spin up to 60-70 dB, but with the case properly closed I measure ~42 dB at the glass.

Older spinning plate HDDs made a uniquely high pitched whine, too. Fan noise bugs me but shrill electronic stuff makes my teeth want to climb out of their sockets.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Fan noise and noise from internal spinning hard drives in computers, will make tinnitus worse for some people, especially those with Noise induced tinnitus. The only solutions I have found is to use a a computer with SSHD and no internal fan. If there is a fan fitted try and get a very quiet one installed. My new desktop PC has SSHD and very quiet fan installed. I requested this before the computer was built. My laptop has SSHD and no internal fan. I can use it for hours with no problems at all. This would have been impossible with my previous laptops.

The other solution is to place your PC in another room and use wireless keyboard, mouse and external monitor - I used this configuration for many years. It is no good placing the PC 10ft away from you and you're still in the same room as it will affect you. You have to be completely isolated from it.

Michael

17. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Another alternative is just a SSD which is silent and faster than a SSHD. SSDs have both SATA and M.2 NVMe options.

There are reviews for video cards out there that compare video card noise and temps. Not sure what weird card he got but popular 3080s are only 35ish decibels at load. MSI and Asus models for example. The ASUS card even has a "Quiet" BIOS option that will lower the card's noise further.

Noctua fans are expensive but are probably the quietest fans. They have 'noise adapters' that allow a setting for even quieter operation.

Of course, this is only applicable for desktops but many new laptops have slots for swapping in a SSD or m.2 NVMe although many have one already. Older laptops may have a slot for a SSD. The cooling design is especially important since laptop noise is most noticeable when it's under load.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If SSD means solid state hard drive? This is what I have but called it SSHD solid state hard-drive. The base unit of my PC is just 3ft/1 metre distance and very quiet.

19. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      SSD and SSHD are different things. Learn your terminology.

SSD is flash storage similar to a USB drive but is much faster, as it uses NAND memory. On the other hand, SSHD contains both a regular hard disk and NAND memory which serves as a big cache buffer (generally 8 GB). Unlike an HDD, both the SSD and HDD components of SSHD are wielded into a single piece of hardware.

» SSD vs SSHD

20. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Well, a SSHD is still a traditional spinning hard drive with solid state storage so it's faster than a traditional hard drive. If you research them, some people do talk about them making noise but it's not as bad or as frequent as HDDs. But, it can happen.

Solid State Drives (SSDs) are made of memory chips and don't have the platters so no moving parts ever. Thus, they're silent and perfect for tinnitus *and* hyperacusis sufferers.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are more knowledgeable about computers than I am. I checked the specs of my PC and it uses a SSD or solid state hard drive is what I call it. When I spoke to the engineer on the phone, I requested a hard drive that doesn't spin and that's what's fitted.

Apologies for the mix up, my mistake...
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Indeed they are different and thank you because I didn't know that until @PeteJ corrected me for which I'm grateful.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    23. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      No problem, Michael. No need to apologize. That's what I plan on getting too. I sold my old computer parts because it was too noisy. I could have bought quieter fans but I will do that when I get enough money to invest in a new build.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks again @PeteJ because I wasn't aware of SSD & SSHD. We live and learn. When I looked at the specs on my invoice it says SSD fitted. Lots of information and to be honest a little over my head... lol. The PC is ultra quiet and that's what I wanted and it's very fast too.

25. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Seems like the M1 Macs are the future for tinnitus sufferers affected by this. I am utterly appalled by how much noise my Intel Mac Mini 2018 makes, and how much I paid for it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      M1 is indeed our savior here.

Until that time, install Turbo Boost Switcher for Mac to turn off the Turbo Boost and consequently turn off the fan as well. It does not slow down my MacBook Pro at all and I'm a power user.

I still hope this pesky side effect of our tinnitus will subside or get a bit better but I'm already 9 months in and still have this effect. My tinnitus is also triggered by dishwasher when it is running, not clanging of dishes like some other people.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      So pleased my Laptop uses a SSD with no fan and absolutely no noise, it's bliss. Hope you both get yours soon.

28. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Michael Leigh -- Could you share what type and model you got? -- Thanks!

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Lane.

The laptop is Windows 10, quite modest compared to my desktop PC and my other two laptops that I'm unable to use for any length of time. I only use it for word processing. It's a LincPlus P1 sold exclusively through Amazon. It has a 13.3 inch screen, has 64 GB eMMC onboard storage. Doesn't have a fan and completely silent. I also bought an upgradable 500 GB SSD that slots in a compartment underneath. On refection didn't need the upgraded SSD card as I only store word processing files.

• Like Like x 1
    30. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Forward head posture and computer use and tinnitus is a real thing too.

• Agree Agree x 2