Concert Tonight... Advice?

Discussion in 'Support' started by st0rch, Apr 10, 2015.

1. st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My friend bought me tickets to Brand New tonight, at a pretty large venue. I have high pitched tinnitus that I originally got from a concert that was EXTREMELY loud (I'm guessing 140db for the majority of the time) without plugs.

I bought these for the show as I really really want to try to go:
      http://www.amazon.com/Earasers-HEM0...7347&sr=8-1&keywords=earasers+musicians+plugs

We are only going for the main show, which will be about 2 hours long. I plan on wearing these and a beanie (I know... that won't do anything haha) and standing far away from the stage. I have loved this band since I was a kid and really would like to go, but not at the cost of an extreme tinnitus increase.

So two questions, will those ^ be enough protection given my plan, and are there any vitamins or something I could take to help even further?

My friend said we can leave if I feel uncomfortable. But I don't know if at that point it would be too late.. Anyone think I'll be ok or have advice?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Furthermore, I am miserable and lonely because of my anxiety and tinnitus. I don't know if I'd be happy living a life of solitude. Of course an increase would be worse... but if there is a chance I'm over thinking it I'd love to go.

3. Kevin08
      Balanced

Kevin08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      DO NOT GO WITH ONLY 19 DB PROTECTION PLUGS!!...seriously that is my advice, don't do it!. If you really must go then at least protect your ears best you can with maximum protection foam plugs....like Hearos plugs which give 32db protection ....that's my advice from expereince , please take it x

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Other thoughts:

Wear "ear muffs" like construction workers/landscapers wear over the plugs. You can buy then, not expensive, at any hardware store.

Stay way toward the back.

Take 1800 mg. NAC before you go, then 1200 mg daily for the next two days. Its available at health food, drug stores. Here is a TT thread about it:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/n-acetylcysteine-nac.395/

Take breaks. Stay for three or four songs, then duck out for a couple songs, then come back, etc.

HAVE FUN!! Life is for living.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Oh, and I agree with @Rhea: 19 dB protection for a concert is not enough. If you get muffs, get the maximum rating available.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      Future reference: Yes. 19 decibels isn't enough for the blasts from the speakers and they're all over the place. The higher db protection is critical based on what I've seen and a little - never really was a concert-goer - of what I experienced. I keep reading about old-timer musicians losing some of their hearing far beyond what their natural age loss would be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @st0rch

Ditto to @Rhea and @LadyDi ,

Before I spiked last year and came down with bad chronic Hyperacusis, I went to a few concerts, (only outdoor concerts, never indoor) and used the highest standard classic foam ear plugs, 32db, and they were adequate protection even at AC/DC, which are quite loud but were very base driven loudness, I would just be very weary of a concert that is tinny sounding, (higher frequency) as that type of noise is more damaging than a base noise, (lower frequency) noise!

Enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      • Agree Agree x 2
    10. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Obtain some trobalt and take it before the concert problem solved lol...But seriously, I'd not go, as you could develop worse tinnitus or hyperacusis.

11. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      In my opinion its not worth it.

A few hours of fun for an increase in tinnitus? no thanks

12. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      DON'T GO !!!!!

13. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      Same cause for my tinnitus..

I have been two extreme metal shows in the past year in small venues.

I wore heearos extreme foam plugs and 3m ear muffs. Both whic are 33 db reduction, thought the effect is not additive.

Stay in the back away from the speaker.

I would personally say those are plugs are not good enough, I felt comfortable with my dual protection but uncomfortable with just the foam plugs, which are better in terms of db then the ones you bought.
      I looked funny with the muffs, but no one said anything except that they liked my Metallica shirt :)

Brand new shouldn't be bad, nothing is louder than metal blastbeats and guitar so you might be okay. They aren't to loud I bet.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

Yeah no, I didn't end up going out of fear of making it worse. You say you've been to two shows, have you been fine after?

And yeah, the show I gained tinnitus at was the loudest metalcore I've ever heard in my life haha... they were fantastic, but not worth this obviously.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      Yes, I have done that with the past two shows I wanted to attend.I just have a lot of anxiety lately with my ears and I ended up not going.
      Metalcore did me in as well.

I didn't notice anything after. My first show was pagan fest last feb. And I saw four bands, went to a smaller venue later and saw aggaloch last fall..I think the first show was 4 hrs and the other was about 3.

Literally the first real shows I had been to in 7 years, and my anxiety was so high. But, I did fine and I felt comfortable. At least with me I know when something is to loud and I should leave but the dual protection was good. I don't think I would have wanted to stay with just the foams, it felt loud with out the muffs. The sound engineering was great at these venues, which I am sure helped. I think that is why I still feel nervous at times about going, I guess you never know how bad the audio will be.

I did ask dr.Nagler in the doc. Corner about going to shows, and he said it is perfectly fine.
      I would recommend keeping a pair of high db blocking foamies on you, the nascar sponsored ones are nice as well.

16. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      It's crazy how loud these shows are.

I've been going to Metalcore and hardcore punk shows for years until I saw Bring Me The Hozion in December which was so loud that it's given me this raging T. I didn't even really want to go which is the worst part.

I really miss going to these concerts but it just doesn't seem worth the risk at all.

17. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      take retigabine before and after the concert ... I know you don`t have it, but i`m just sharing the info that there are claims it would obstruct the Tinnitus to shape inside the brain after hearing trauma.

anyone remeber this and know the paper on it? was it our greek scientist/?

18. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts

I bet! It seems like the metalcore scene tends to be louder than the death shows I have been to. Maybe it's an age thing and the younger bands play a hell of a lot louder..

Did you wear any plugs?? Yeah, I got mine from a show I went to with a friend. I only cared for the main act, but we went for the whole show. Now I just would watch the band or two that I like and skip the rest.

19. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      I wouldnt go but then Ive become anti-social. This stuff really really sucks. Im a figment of my former glorious past.

20. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've been going to see friends play reunion shows in a small club about twice a year. I stand at the side of the stage, not in front. This is not heavy metal or a rave. I see about 95 db on my meter. The earplugs I use are advertised over 30 db attenuation. I figure safely 25. The result, 95 - 25 = 70 db, and that is not loud at all for a couple hours. YMMV

21. Ichigo
      Supportive

Ichigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      geg1992, I know what you a talking about, I personally got T. from Asking Alexandria's show, standing in the first row + there was a lot of fangirls who screamed just into my ears. Lol. Metalcore's dB levels are way too high. And it seems that the people that were in charge of the sound did sth wrong- it wasn't only me who complained about the music volume.
      However, next week I'm going to see them AGAIN, this time with proper ear protection, not stanging in front of the speakers. I'm a bit scared of losing my earmuffs in the mosh or circle pit XD
      I don't wear any protection to school and I'm fine. I also went to a convention a few weeks ago and mainly played video games with earplugs (the bass was insane sometimes) for like 15 hours in total, and my T was fine two days after, eventhough I experienced a temporary increase and a weird rumble sound. But it seems everything can increase my T, even my car (a long ride), so I just said "f*ck it" and I'm going to enjoy my life.

22. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just curious... What was that band that played at 140dB or so?

23. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I second what some others have said. If you must go, then go. I wouldn't but thats me. But I would strongly suggest better earplugs. Those say 19 db peak, which means that it is only at certain frequencies that it cuts down 19, the rest may be around 10 or so. Since the show is tonight and there probably isn't much time to get better ones I say go to a drug store and pick up a good set of foam ones. They're cheap and have some of the highest db ratings, usually around 30 or so. Also I can't stress enough how important it is to insert properly. Look on the back and follow the instructions. Without proper insertion there will not be a good seal and they will be a lot less effective. Hope everything works out