Constant Pain in the Left Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeteJ, Mar 31, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      For ears? :-/

2. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I mean, for anything really. There are people on the hyperacusis Facebook group I’m in that go to pain doctors and get medications from them. It seems a lot of meds out there can help some people.

Some people take opioids like Tramadol and others take nerve pain drugs like Gabapentin. Granted not everyone is helped by meds but I’ve compiled quite a list of people who have responded favorably to various drugs.

There’s also the possibility of course they’ll wanna try a nerve block or something like with you. There’s another thread in this section about something called a Stellate Ganglion Block which helped someone tremendously with sound induced pain.

Pain management wants to see me and if the world was normal, I’d probably have an appointment next week but the Coronavirus kinda fucked me over on that.

Warning though! You might have to try to get in touch with more than one. The first clinic I tried said they don’t treat ear pain (which is pretty fucking ridiculous when you actually analyze that statement) but my GP gave me a referral to a different network and it looks like things are gonna go well. I’m hoping to try various different things for hyperacusis pain.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Is cannabis on the list?

4. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Yes but I could only find 2 people who claimed cannabis helped them. Of course, that could be a bit skewed tho because it’s illegal in most states and some groups prohibit you from discussing illegal substances.

The most helpful drugs by far were Gabapentin and Pregabalin and it’s even been acknowledged by Hyperacusis Research that these drugs are helpful for pain hyperacusis for some people. Tramadol would probably be third, though it’s hard to evaluate the effect of opioids because those have become almost impossible to get (legally at least, tho I wouldn’t mind trying heroin atp)

I should also mention that these drugs have also made some people worse (mostly temporarily tho). Another drug, Amitriptyline, was helpful to a decent amount of people but also gave a lot of spikes.

I didn’t include Benzos in the search due to their addictive nature but it should be noted that they seem to help a tremendous amount of people in the short term. And that’s saying a lot considering how hard it is to get a prescription and how rare H is.

I basically went on Chat Hyperacusis, the multiple Facebook groups and Tinnitus Talk and looked for every case where someone said they took something for hyperacusis because I want to have suggestions when I go into pain management.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      My Mom took both of those for arthritic and chronic pain. She didn't think they helped much. I tried percocet for nerve pain and I thought it was pretty good, at least until it wore off. At least, it was something.

6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      When one has tinnitus, ear pain can be caused by tiny nerves in jaw or neck with slight movement caused by hypertension (blood pressure). This can cause multiple tinnitus sounds and hyperacusis. This can happen easier when hair cells where damaged (noise exposure). So with this, moments of hypertension can also increase tinnitus. Controlling hypertension (stress) is key. Low salt to almost no salt is also needed.

• Informative Informative x 2
    7. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Are there any drugs I can take to help this? My normal BP is 90/60.

8. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Born To Slay

I didn't read all your postings, but it appears that you have hyperacusis ear pain.
      I would lower salt intake as for you small nerve fibers around the ears may be sensitive due to low blood pressure. Otherwise your blood pressure may be not much of a problem.

This link is designed for you. I would try the recommendations. Also drink enough water - some walking exercise.
      https://mymedicalscore.com/blood-pressure/90-60/

9. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      That’s fascinating, so I’m curious, how would low blood pressure make nerves more sensitive?

10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Born To Slay Low blood pressure may not be a problem for you, but do you have generalized pain, ear pain or hyperacusis?

If you have ear pain or hyperacusis with having low blood pressure/hypotension, then take this test to see if they may be some association. https://www.symptoma.com/en/ddx/hyperacusis+hypotension

If you have hyperacusis with having low blood pressure then consider neuropathy.
      Consider low blood sugar, lack of B12.

For others, high blood pressure with stress may cause ear pain and associate to hyperacusis.

The Hearing Journal has several articles on hyperacusis, ear pain and the autonomic nervous system as combined. This is side study to what I mentioned in post #156.

https://journals.lww.com/thehearing...yperacusis,_and_the_Autonomic_Nervous.12.aspx

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      What about pain that is located in multiple areas around and in the ear?

Currently, for me, the worst pain is the joint just below and slightly below the ear. I accidentally made it "crackle" yesterday. It's really painful and sore in that joint location. I don't think it's from noise. Although, I think I have some form of hyperacusis, these symptoms seem closer to the TMJ definition people talk about but I don't have pain all over my face, near my jaw or elsewhere. It's all located in that joint area and the lower part of my ear just inside, so the lower cartilage too. So the tragus and incisura intertragica and all over the joint in that area. Why is this happening?!? :( Can't anything be done? I hate waiting for the pain to subside and so far, it's not.

12. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @PeteJ I think that I wrote about 20 -25 posts to you about the jaw - joints.
      I once referred on high blood pressure and you responded by saying that I have high blood pressure.
      This can place pressure on the jaw joints and nerves without pain. High blood pressure often hits this area first and most of the time with tinnitus.
      The nerves in the jaw and ears connect and with rising blood pressure (when that happens) ear pain will develop - and often neuropath hyperacusis - sensitive ears - fullness.
      Need to tell yourself - Oh _ _ _ _ it about my level of tinnitus to keep blood pressure from rising and say but I will do self treatment.
      This self treatment should include compresses. I mentioned this before and you mentioned that it does not really help. Go online and buy a heat wrap that covers side of face.
      Therapy results and feeling security with using a heat wrap will settle you down, relax jaw and solve ear pain.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Heat wrap like what?

The side of my face is not a problem. It's that groove at the joint and sometimes the lower cartilage and inner ear canal. It's the bony area that has the worst pain - how can a heat compress be positioned there?!?

It seems like maybe some symptoms of an ear infection and tmj but not exactly. If TMJ is isolated to that area then perhaps. But, many people speak of facial pain and pain elsewhere but mine is concentrated in the one area.

14. Tavia R

Tavia R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with condition
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with condition-recently diagnosed/treated for migraines
      While there is nothing I can do to make you feel any better about what that is like, just know that there are tons of us out here that have said. For me that’s every day. Reach out, we understand.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I believe my case of ear pain doesn't fit here. It's unique. I think I have some hyperacusis and TMJ type pain but my left ear, especially, is in pain for days to weeks without any relief periods.

There's two areas of the pain:

1) I don't know what the area is called. Tympanic bone/mastoid process? I don't know what it's called! I can just point to the area. I have pain in that area most of the time.

2) tragus/canal area. Sometimes, the cartilage has pain at the same time.

Often, I have pain in #1 area but occasionally both.

I am posting this rn because I have pain in both areas.

I want opioids. I don't think anything else will help. I want to be ****king drugged so I don't feel it. I don't care about addiction. Every day I think I wasted another day not planning suicide. I want this pain to stop. I should be able to control it to some extent?!? Tinnitus I can't but why not this damn ear pain?!?

I don't think I have read anyone claim their pain was like mine. Hyperacusis and pain from noise but my pain doesn't go away! It persists and often I can't explain why it suddenly got worse or why it's persisting for so long! :(

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hey man, did you see my comment to you about Kratom? If you haven’t, I’d look into it. It’s very similar to opioids and fuck ton of people testify that it’s just as effective for pain as they are. People stop takin after opioids in many cases because Kratom is just effective but way easier to get. You can get it online without even needing a prescription.

“Most of the opioid-like activity of kratom has been attributed to the presence of the indole alkaloids, mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. Both compounds have been shown to have analgesic and antinociceptive effects”
      https://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2094342

And then here’s a list of what many people say our the best brands.
      https://www.healthcarebusinesstoday.com/best-kratom-pain/

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Yeah, I read your post. A quick web search showed it's illegal. Edit: in the USA. I think I can order it here.

Btw, someone just set off what sounded like fireworks outside. I hate this ****ing place.

18. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      What? It’s not illegal in the United States except for I think six states.

But yeah, a lot of people say it’s effective for pain. So you want an opioid but can’t get a script, this seems like a way to go.

Doctors suck, they treat our pain like it’s nothing. So we have to look to alternatives.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Hey, I am looking into ordering Red Kratom, supposedly the most potent kind. I hope it helps, even a bit. I don't know how much to order but I am trying to figure out the best way to take it.

Probably ordering the powdered form. Apparently, you can take it as a chocolate milkshake!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for pointing out this option.

20. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Ah no problem man, I hope you get the relief you deserve. Good luck!

21. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      They go together in a strange way science doesn't yet understand.

I had the exact same experience. The face pain stayed in a mild form, but the ear pain went away entirely.