Constant Pain in the Left Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeteJ, Mar 31, 2019.

1. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I have this problem or condition in which I get ear pain but it's always the left one.

I had it before but it eventually subsided. Now, I have this pain again. I think it might be from ear plugs.

What can I do? This is really agony. I already have severe tinnitus. I don't have a problem with the right ear, just the left. I went to GPs and the only thing one saw was that my ear canals were irritated.

I don't want a chronic problem. I was hoping someone would have some insight. Sorry, I am just desperate as the GPs were no help. I am still waiting for an appointment with an ENT.

Should this be in Support?

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      This post is very depressing, because the ENT may not be able to help either.

Here's a speech by president of Hyperacusis Research LLC, Bryan Pollard.

He started an organization to help connect patients with researchers to find treatments for "noise induced pain".
      008 Pollard What's Life LIke With...

Based on what most people on this forum are complaining about, it's safe to say audiologists don't know much about noise pain, hyperacusis, noxacusis, cochlear nociception/neuropathy or whatever the hell you want to call it, or separate classifications should be of these conditions.

Just Pawel Jastreboff's dogma on TRT, or worse "It's all in your head" and maybe it will go away, no one cares about bio-medical research. Palliative medicine reigns with an iron fist.

It's scary I was in that same traumatizing experience when I realized ENT's just told me it would go away, they were right, it did, but the thing is if it didn't I'd be stuck on a bad merry go round like some folks here. It's a very raw deal in life to experience pain from noise for months after an extremely loud acoustic insult.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I really hope your condition is something correctable and simple, and I am just a paranoid loon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      So do I. That reply is scaring me.
      I was worried it is nerve pain but the pain subsided before. But, I am wondering why it's the left ear each time. I thought maybe it's just more sensitive. I didn't think it was from noise since it just starts hurting suddenly. I don't know, though.

I was hoping to figure it out since it exacerbates the t predicament. Ear pain in general is bad enough as many here know.

5. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Could this be that the earplugs are irritating the canal? Try to lay off them for a week and see what happens. Perhaps use ear muffs instead.

Maybe you need a smaller earplug designed to fit a narrower canal. Also, some earplugs are slower to expand and exert less pressure. I needed to try many types of earplugs to find ones that worked for my ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Yeah, that might be it. I was using 3M Clsssic before and they aren't smooth. Both ear canals became irritated but I had pain in the left ear.

I switched to a different one that seemed okay but I wasn't sure on the protection. They claim 33 NRR but I dunno. 3M bought the company but it was not originally 3M. E-A-Rsoft?

This orange one is a bit longer and wider in diameter. I am afraid it might have to do with them. How can you know which is comfortable and what still has authentic/adequate protection?

7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Comfortable is how it feels in your ear, and quite subjective. If the earplug is painful, then something is wrong.

Some of the newer designs, like Mack's ultra have a smooth coating that irritates the ear canal less so see if you can try those.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I seriously wonder what pain is caused by "malfitted ear plugs" or damaged nerves in the ear?

I wonder if the ear canal is allodynia-zed from damage?

I wonder how many people delude themselves into thinking noise pain is caused by ear plugs?

#hyperacusis problems 2k19

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't know. But, I can't take pain as well.

I will have to make arrangements. This is scary but I don't want to suffer anymore.

I'm crying now. I don't want to leave my dog but it's too painful and I can't deal with a painful ear AND tinnitus.

10. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I had the same problem as you, your pain is mine.

I hope it makes you feel better I made a huge recover regarding pain from noise.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      nerves heal with rest, don't waste any money on uncaring doctors/ENT's.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      The pain is in my ear, not noise per se. I was hoping it was muffs or plugs irritation.

The only other thing I can think of is nerve pain. I am scared if it is that. If so, I am done. Giving up.

At least t is not physically pain, supposedly. But, this pain from my left ear is real. It wasn't as bad earlier today but now, it's as bad as it was.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I destroyed nerves in my wrist from a job. What you say is right. I rarely if ever feel it any more. Because I don't do the same actions which brought on it in the first place.

So, if it is a nerve or nerves, how would they heal in the ear, I wonder?

Anyway, you are a good guy, Contast. I hope the research treatments work for you. I hope the regeneration and/or something like it is a cure - you ought to have a cure.

You are honest, informative, intelligent and you want to help people. You deserve something good.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      The nerves can heal.

15. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      We don't know heals and what doesn't. but the fact that my ears no longer burn and hearing improved indicates yes things get better.

16. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Audiologist told me they can heal if they aren't permanently damaged. And something like, if your audiogram shows dips to 20 dcbls and up - then they are. I don't know. Take this with a grain of salt.

Basically implied that 15 dcb dips aren't perma damage.

17. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Liberman's paper mentioned under certain circumstances of noise trauma synapses don't grow back and the damage is permanent while nerve fibers degenerate and are lost forever.

The research is trying to repair damaged nerves, not grow new one's from scratch, that's a fairytale.

18. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I get that and I agree, especially with certain circumstances of noise trauma. I don't know, man - the ear is a mysterious thing.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I would have to check mine?

This is all depressing to me, regardless.

20. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I don't know. You're better off listening to what contrast says over me, I'm not gonna lie. But he's proof that some things do fade and get better.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      This is just so depressing. Waiting for fading...praying and hoping for fading and miraculous healing.

There are some tough people here in this site. Sadly, I am not one of them.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      listen to what researchers are saying. I'm just a laymen

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      What are researchers saying?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    24. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I dont really think the hearing nerve can heal unless there is a very minor issue. There are surgeries to remove tumors compressing the nerves and things like that, but a damaged nerve does not always heal.

Think about the people who had a nerve sectioned up their arm, near the shoulders, due to an accident, and cannot move an arm. The arm is there but they cannot use it and the nerve cannot be fixed in any way.

• Like Like x 1
    25. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I agree.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Is there any way to diagnose this?

It better not be a nerve issue.

It's very sore again. Seems to be after using plugs.

I feel really hopeless. No one better talk to me about habituating unless I can solve this pain or figure out the source of the pain.

If I can't, that is it. I can debate and chat about whether I can tolerate tinnitus but not this.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It subsided yesterday but returned.

I went to a day clinic yesterday. Dr said canals look fine and thought it is from clenching and teeth grinding (in sleep).

What?!? I use a mouth guard. The pain seems moreso in the ear although there is a bit of pain on the lower bone but that is minor.

:-( This can't be happening! Can't someone diagnose this? I have a right ear issue now, too. My right ear suddenly had pain yesterday and today.

The t is bad enough. If I don't get an answer soon, I won't be offing myself from t.

I can't live like this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Left one suddenly became quite painful. I'm done.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Cold washcloth applied to hear provides some relief but not much.

Wish it could be diagnosed though. Would be interesting to know what it was.

30. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Go to a private ENT asap, see what the ENT says. Maybe you can get corticoids prescribed and it can calm down the pain, although it may not be a permanent solution for the underlying cause.