Coping for Almost 30 Years, But Had Enough!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by PeteFD, Apr 14, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. PeteFD

PeteFD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guns, explosions, loud noises
      Hi all fellow sufferers, I first got tinnitus when serving in HM Forces back in 1980's. It wasn't too bad back then, but to cut a long story short, it has got progressively worse over the years, not helped by a protracted use of firearms over a fairly long period of time. For the last 15 years, att least, I haves suffered from very high pitched ringing in both ears, 24/7. Getting to sleep is always difficult and although I can sometimes zone out during the day, it is always there. At 55 years old, I've had enough and really want to tackle it properly. So, here I am joining this forum to read the hundreds of posts and try to glean some useful info. Anyone with a miracle cure, please write back.
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Sarah Russett

Sarah Russett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      No miracle cue.No treatments.I don't want to get you down but that's just the idea of it. Your best bet if it's causing you lots of distress is to get a whitenoise generating hearing aid to mask it, using masking tracks in quiet places, ec.
    3. Sound Wave

Sound Wave Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Find a thread 'back to silence' and read it
    4. i.m

i.m Member

The "Lack of English" Land: Italy
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
    5. glynis-harbron

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

England, Stoke-on-Trent
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @PeteFD ,
      I would get your hearing checked and see if you can be fitted with White noise generators or hearing aids to help mask your tinnitus as you have had it a good while...good luck ...glynis
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @PeteFD . Hi the best treatment for tinnitus is stress management . I find stress makes my tinnitus a whole lot worse. I have been having Bowen therapy sessions and I'm sure it's working my T volume has gone down considerably after treatment. It hasn't stopped the noise but the volume has gone down to a level that I can manage more effectively.
      • Like Like x 2
    7. Karen

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree, @Richard zurowski

Limiting stress really does help. So does getting a good night's sleep, following a healthy diet, and keeping one's blood pressure as low as possible.

I'm glad to hear that the Bowen therapy sessions are working well for you!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Tommi_boi

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I totally agree with everyone that says stress is a contributing factor.. I believe it was strongly linked whenever mine flared up.

Not long ago, I used to work in a job and in my line of work (marketing) there was a lot of pressure to deliver to clients.

I used to be one of those workaholics who was usually first in the office and last to go home as I wanted to go the extra mile in my job - what I didnt realise was that I was kind of my own worst enemy because -

1. I never got enough sleep as I worked quite late
      2. The job was highly pressurised, with a lot of deadlines to deliver on
      3. I drank a lot of coffee (stimulant)
      4. Did not really relax even on weekends, as to cope with the demands of the job I would sometimes work then too.

Ultimately it took a few times for me to notice that this contributed to "spikes" in my Tinnitus so to speak. I used to have it quite intrusive - the last time it happened, I had planned to go away with the Mrs for a few days but prior to that, the week was mega stressful. I let it kind of get to me and it spoiled my weekend as all I could think about was my raging T.

Eventually, with time, the spike wore off, but I continued having it intermittently.

To the present, I left my job to take a few weeks out and I've been relaxing a lot more. I'm happy to say I'm not feeling any kind of stress I used to in my job and guess what, my T has really really improved. So believe me what these people are saying - If you take care of yourself, dont stress out over it - sleep lots , I believe it really is an effective way of minimising / controlling your T a little more :).

I hope this helps

• Like Like x 1