Coping for Almost 30 Years, But Had Enough!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by PeteFD, Apr 14, 2016.

1. PeteFD

PeteFD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guns, explosions, loud noises
      Hi all fellow sufferers, I first got tinnitus when serving in HM Forces back in 1980's. It wasn't too bad back then, but to cut a long story short, it has got progressively worse over the years, not helped by a protracted use of firearms over a fairly long period of time. For the last 15 years, att least, I haves suffered from very high pitched ringing in both ears, 24/7. Getting to sleep is always difficult and although I can sometimes zone out during the day, it is always there. At 55 years old, I've had enough and really want to tackle it properly. So, here I am joining this forum to read the hundreds of posts and try to glean some useful info. Anyone with a miracle cure, please write back.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Sarah Russett

Sarah Russett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015 - April 2017 (now T-free)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      No miracle cue.No treatments.I don't want to get you down but that's just the idea of it. Your best bet if it's causing you lots of distress is to get a whitenoise generating hearing aid to mask it, using masking tracks in quiet places, ec.

3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Find a thread 'back to silence' and read it

4. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @PeteFD ,
      I would get your hearing checked and see if you can be fitted with White noise generators or hearing aids to help mask your tinnitus as you have had it a good while...good luck ...glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @PeteFD . Hi the best treatment for tinnitus is stress management . I find stress makes my tinnitus a whole lot worse. I have been having Bowen therapy sessions and I'm sure it's working my T volume has gone down considerably after treatment. It hasn't stopped the noise but the volume has gone down to a level that I can manage more effectively.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree, @Richard zurowski

Limiting stress really does help. So does getting a good night's sleep, following a healthy diet, and keeping one's blood pressure as low as possible.

I'm glad to hear that the Bowen therapy sessions are working well for you!

Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I totally agree with everyone that says stress is a contributing factor.. I believe it was strongly linked whenever mine flared up.

Not long ago, I used to work in a job and in my line of work (marketing) there was a lot of pressure to deliver to clients.

I used to be one of those workaholics who was usually first in the office and last to go home as I wanted to go the extra mile in my job - what I didnt realise was that I was kind of my own worst enemy because -

1. I never got enough sleep as I worked quite late
      2. The job was highly pressurised, with a lot of deadlines to deliver on
      3. I drank a lot of coffee (stimulant)
      4. Did not really relax even on weekends, as to cope with the demands of the job I would sometimes work then too.

Ultimately it took a few times for me to notice that this contributed to "spikes" in my Tinnitus so to speak. I used to have it quite intrusive - the last time it happened, I had planned to go away with the Mrs for a few days but prior to that, the week was mega stressful. I let it kind of get to me and it spoiled my weekend as all I could think about was my raging T.

Eventually, with time, the spike wore off, but I continued having it intermittently.

To the present, I left my job to take a few weeks out and I've been relaxing a lot more. I'm happy to say I'm not feeling any kind of stress I used to in my job and guess what, my T has really really improved. So believe me what these people are saying - If you take care of yourself, dont stress out over it - sleep lots , I believe it really is an effective way of minimising / controlling your T a little more :).

I hope this helps

Tom

• Like Like x 1