Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Just to briefly mention, I believe your point is a valid one. However, the rate of spread of Lyme bacteria in the body varies enormously from person to person. Some people may have it for years, before they may be suddenly exposed to an undue amount of stress. This is often the catalyst for weakening their immune system, thus allowing the Lyme to migrate out of hidden places in the body where it been kept in check for years. In short, every time the body goes through a period of being immune compromised for whatever reason, the Lyme bacteria immediately pick up on that and proceed to the next step in the "colonization".

• Like Like x 1
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I thought this was interesting. The range was actually 36-51%, and is apparently due to a phenomenon known as "virus interference". This information would seem to contradict some of the recommendations being made on "non-fake" news outlets, where some "authorities" are recommending people get the flu vaccine to protect themselves from the coronavirus.

Prestigious VACCINE Journal: Flu Vaccine Increases Coronavirus Infection Risk 36%

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      It will miraculously cease to be an issue on Wednesday, November 4th 2020.

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Let's not forget that Bill Gates amassed the one of the largest personal fortunes in history by licensing to IBM an operating system that he didn't own. He then turned around and bought what became MS DOS from an unsuspecting local programmer for a mere $50,000 and passed it off as his own.

Another priceless gem:

"I see little commercial potential for the internet for the next 10 years," Gates allegedly said at one Comdex trade event in 1994, as quoted in the 2005 book "Kommunikation erstatter transport."

He's not exactly the great and virtuous oracle everyone seems to believe.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      While I agree with practically all of your points, I have a remark on this one.

Buying a bit extra is fine, but the current stocking up is ridiculous. Distribution centers are far from empty, even in countries that are critically hit by corona, so the supermarkets still get their daily refills: there won't be a shortage any time soon. The stocking up however is a big issue for people who work during the day (e.g. in healthcare) or are otherwise limited in time, since they don't get a single chance to fulfill their needs if the supermarket is empty every time they can finally come over.

People need to realize that they're not the only person on this globe, leave something for the rest.

• Agree Agree x 6
    6. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If this is a mere political plot, then why is Trump "own goaling" himself on this then?

In the last two days, he personally is sounding the alarms suddenly. Kinda pokes holes in the "liberal conspiracy" theory then doesn't it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      My statistics are correct. They're just not what you want them to be.

I said "1/3 of all Space Shuttles ultimately exploded during flight, while planes have a failure rate of almost zero."

That's true. Out of 6 Space Shuttles (Shuttles, not missions), 2 of them exploded during flight, i.e. 1/3.

Imagine, for example, how many people would fly if 1/3 of all aircraft ultimately exploded during flight.

The point is that even though the number of fatalities as a result of spaceflight are relatively low in comparison to the number of fatalities from airplane crashes, the chances of dying on a Space Shuttle are much higher.

Similarly, even though the number of fatalities as a result of coronavirus are relatively low in comparison to the number of fatalities from the flu (for now), the chances of dying from coronavirus are much higher.

That's not really all that controversial, not really sure why we're squabbling about it. :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Honestly, if the only bad thing to come of this is that the economy took a temporary nosedive, I'd be more likely to celebrate than waste time on "damage control." :beeranimation:

9. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      The same reason that many of the corporations are jumping on the bandwagon. They're being pressured into it. His political opponents have done such effective job at riling up the masses that he now has no choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      So Trump knows it's bullshit but is feeling pressured now because of the media farce? This is pretty tin foil hat imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      For the record only 5 of the shuttles were in use. The 6th was never deemed space-worthy. Either way it's an inappropriate way of presenting the data.
      As evidenced in most of the countries where the testing has significantly increased the death rate decreases dramatically among those that are inflected. Estimations put it at between 2-20x more deadly than the flu but with increased testing identifying more infected individuals the percentage moves closer to the lower end of that spectrum. Regardless of where it ends up it isn't even close to the ratio of per flight deaths between Shuttle missions and commercial flights making it a wholly inadequate comparison.

12. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Politicians caving into public pressure is literally the opposite of a conspiracy theory.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      But let's look at this in totality and apply Occam's razor here.

Is it more likely that China, South Korea, Italy, Spain, the UK (even though Trump is very close with Boris Johnson), The CDC, The WHO, Norway, Germany, Iran, The NBA, MLB, NHL, Disney, all airlines and cruise companies, the entire music industry and ticket master, and the film industry all conspired with the media (and were willing to lose trillions) to help liberals bring down Donald Trump and the pressure was so great Trump himself had to eventually start calling it an unprecedented disease and a dangerous crisis.

Or that COVID-19 is more dangerous than the flu?

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm glad to learn that the world will be safe from a new virus by the results of one country's election.

15. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      We'll be no less or more safe than we are the day before. The only difference is that there will no longer be any political advantage to catastrophizing the situation.

16. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Facts trump Occam's razor:

50 confirmed deaths in the US during 3 months of outbreak compared to 34,200 from previous Influenza season (Oct. 2018 - April 2019) which averaged approximately 200 deaths per day. Minimal preventative measures were taken during that outbreak which resulted in 684x the current death rate from Coronavirus.

Other countries are free to respond as they see fit although there is almost certainly a degree of political pandering to it.

Political opposition to Trump in the US openly celebrating the damage to the US economy.

Cooperations are falling in line simply because they have to at this point. Failure to do so would damage their brand and open them up to potential liability.

17. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      You are pretty pot committed to this wild theory. I will give you that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    18. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      TIL that stating facts = being committed to a "wild theory".

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are comparing apples (the start of COVID-19) to oranges (the end of last year's flu).
      Which part of "30-70% of the population will get the disease before herd immunity kicks in, and 20% of patients require hospitalization that lasts weeks, and 1% die" do you think is wrong. If it isn't wrong, and you agree that our healthcare system can't handle 20% of 30% (6%) or even 20% of 70% (14%) of the population requiring hospitalization, then how do you justify your statements?
      People with childish beliefs like that will end up being the "grasshopper" in the "grasshopper and the ant" tale. They deserve what is coming to them.
      I don't think his theory is wild. It is actually self-evident. However, both his theory and the theory that this pandemic will be bad can both be true.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      In the winter seasons from 2013/14 to 2016/17, an estimated average of 5,290,000 ILI cases occurred in Italy, corresponding to an incidence of 9%.

More than 68,000 deaths attributable to flu epidemics were estimated in the study period.

Italy showed a higher influenza attributable excess mortality compared to other European countries. especially in the elderly.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285

22. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I'm comparing the first 3 months of this outbreak to the full 6 months of the 2018-2019 flu season in the US. So far the current death rate is equivalent to 1/4 of a single day during that outbreak.
      I'm comparing the first 3 months of this outbreak to the full 6 months of the 2018-2019 flu season in the US. So far the current death rate is equivalent to 1/4 of a single day during that outbreak.

23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      China has actively tried to stop their pandemic (e.g., households would get a permit for one person to leave the house to buy groceries), so their experience doesn't count. In Europe and in North America, the authorities aren't doing all they could be doing to stop this. So I think that Italy's outbreak began 4-5 weeks ago (and their healthcare system is already breaking down, with doctors basically denying treatments to older people and younger people with preexisting conditions). We are about 3 weeks behind Italy...

Also, you never explained exactly which facts (what I think are facts) you don't think are true:

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In Wuhan, and in Northern Italy (the regions where the healthcare system broke down) the DEATH rate was/is close to 5%.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You sound like a Trumper. First it was Don Jr. saying Democrats are hoping millions of people will die just so it will increase the chances of getting rid of Trump. Now (similarly) you seem to be saying a large swatch of Trump's political opponents are rooting for the downfall of the American economy for the same reason. Really? You've been trying to inject politics into this thread for some time now, so I guess we can all assume you really believe this sh*t. I guess sort of like the 70%+ of Republicans who believe Obama was a Muslim and wasn't born in the U.S. Doesn't say a lot for the intelligence of the Repubs.

The most overtly political words since this whole thing started has come from Trump himself; talking about some kind of ridiculous "Obama Rule", which greatly hampered their ability to get adequate testing started. Nobody knows what the hell he's talking about, as there was never anything even remotely resembling such a rule. But it's clear Trump will make up any kind of fantasy to try to bail himself out of his own failures. The way I see it, we have a full-fledged crisis on our hands (both economic and health related), and the king of lies seems to be doubling down on his lies. Sadly, most of his supporters still consider his words gospel. Pretty pathetic really.

The link is to a sobering appraisal by a lifelong Republican, written in a conservative magazine, of just how dangerous this guy is for the U.S. and the world, especially at this time of so many uncertainties surrounding the coronavirus.

The Trump Presidency Is Over
      It has taken a good deal longer than it should have, but Americans have now seen the con man behind the curtain.

PETER WEHNER
      • MARCH 13, 2020

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      In the US they've managed to bring everything from sporting events to business actives to a screeching halt. The media has sensationalized this story almost beyond 9/11 coverage. People are stockpiling food and supplies like it's the end of the world all based on 50 deaths in 3 months. If our healthcare system gets overwhelmed it's more likely to be the result of people overreacting and placing strain on our system as a result of having it drummed into them nonstop that the end is nigh.
      There won't be a 30-70% scenario.

27. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Wrong. Voted for HRC in 2016.
      They seem to more focused on driving the economy into the ground in order to defeat Trump.
      I never said a "large swatch". I said that his political opponents are excited by the prospect of damage to economy. I think most reasonable people do not hope for such a thing but are helping to make that a reality by mindlessly buying into the hysteria.
      I believe that the response has been disproportionate to the actual threat. I believe that shutting down the country in response to a virus that so far has killed 50 people in it's first 3 months is excessive when compared to our most recent flu season during which 34,200 people died and little media attention was directed towards it.
      I don't care where he was born or what his religious beliefs are. I happen to believe Hillary was the better choice in 2008.
      Incoherent Anti-Trump babble.

28. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh, the plant looks totally fine once you cut all that ugly trim leaf away ;). It doesn't matter, because I turn this all into oil/shatter using cryo/ethanol extraction, so I don't trim most of it. This is the same plant:
      5QcmIQd.png

Strains with some CBD in them (like this) spike my tinnitus less than THC distillate, but, overall the net gains in sleep quality and quantity outweigh any issues, and combined with the rest of my med stack, weed seems to have an overall soothing effect on my sensory system.

This is not an answer; you're making outlandish claims, you cannot just give one word that's a general concept.

Do you think Italy is overreacting? Do you not understand that CDC's own estimates at this point indicate we may need more hospital beds than we've got here, barring some new treatment and/or sufficiently flattening the curve?

w28AqBW.png

The virus has barely begun to spread here; also the US death count is at 57 as of right now. And, given the hilariously limited number of tests we've done, it'd be dumb not to assume that our overall counts (positive, recovered, and dead) are all substantially higher than what we know of. Now if an old person kicks it of pneumonia there is some chance they will be tested; 2-3 weeks ago that was not happening here at all.

FFS people this is not "end times, buy all the toilet paper", it's "novel virus, stay home as much as possible so you don't kill old people and/or immunocompromised people unnecessarily."

Generally bat viruses end up mutating into something less lethal in humans, because our immune systems are relatively awful in comparison, but there is no guarantee of this. At least AFAICT it's not really possible for viruses in this class to mutate to something that can float in the air like measels.

29. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Oh, so you are just going to ignore what I posted without bothering to explain why you think what I posted is wrong.
      That's nothing compared to what will eventually have to be done - requiring people to not leave their home.
      I haven't been saving any links, but one source off of the top of my head is Angela Merkel, who stated that up to 70% might become infected.
      https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...cted-population-experts-vaccine-a9394326.html
      Surely she has access to good experts. But this is one source in a huge set of sources that all state the same thing.

Here are some more, but there are many more out there
      https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...ld-hit-3-billion-adults-harvard-expert-2020-3
      https://lactualite.com/actualites/c...anadiens-pourraient-etre-infectes-dit-ottawa/
      They understand how exponential growth works and how epidemics work.
      The doctors in Italy are already turning older people and people with preexisting conditions away. This explains their higher death rate. Are you saying it isn't going to happen anywhere else?

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      It's a reasonable conclusion to draw.

Is the media and government response to this crisis proportionate to the response to other recent viruses with drastically higher death tolls? No.

Is this overzealous response causing damage to the US economy? Yes.

Which political party stands to benefit in the 2020 presidential election if the economy is struggling? Democrats.
      To a lesser extent than we are.

drx34s2kdmm41.png

(see my subsequent post.)
      When this thing fails to live up to the hype the people that wanted this to be true are going to spend the next 4 years whining about it they same way they still carry on about HRC winning the popular vote in 2016.
      3 months into this thing so far we've hit a death toll consistent with 1/4 of a single day during our last flu season.
      Increased testing will produce more cases but drive down the death rate for those infected.